Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

Equal 1st for Centre Clearances after 3 Rounds, and 11th for Total Clearances.

Sure beats being 18th in the comp for both like last year.
1st in centre clearance differential by a mile. Sitting at +4.3 a game than the opposition, next best are the Suns on +2.7.

Almost like we have a coach that understands clearance work
It's an interesting thought. I am sure most mid coaches are very mid centric in their approach. Haley as a ruckman is surely more focused on the tap to advantage aspect. It's interesting because the centre clearance battle always starts with a ruckman's contest and touch... Everything else rolls on from that. Whatever he is doing it is working and it's not all a personnel thing because the personnel are similar.

1st in centre clearance differential by a mile. Sitting at +4.3 a game than the opposition, next best are the Suns on +2.7.
These rankings will fluctuate, no doubt, but it’s good to get line of sight on improvement almost straight away, when this was the clear strategy towards opening up spots in the midfield.

These rankings will fluctuate, no doubt, but it’s good to get line of sight on improvement almost straight away, when this was the clear strategy towards opening up spots in the midfield.
-6.8 Last year and + 7 after 3 rounds, I fully expect it to come down by years end but instantly you see the improvement. You can see we've built on our spread

85e6671bdbb3f600679b7687e73f02b6.png

8c7c3af4e25514d82016b96958cb8a91.png

Last edited:
Equal 1st for Centre Clearances after 3 Rounds, and 11th for Total Clearances.

Sure beats being 18th in the comp for both like last year.
Once we've got that midfield-forward connection going strong that centre clearance dominance will translate to some very potent scoring potential.

Once we've got that midfield-forward connection going strong that centre clearance dominance will translate to some very potent scoring potential.
If we could get a forward line of:

Breust-Lewis-Brockman
Wingard-Greene-Moore

With resting rucks, Newcome, CMac and potentially Kozi rotating through there it would go a long way to achieving that.

With only 13 players on the list over 50 games it makes sense to play them if they are fit and in form
Round 1 had 3 missing round 2 4 missing Round 3- 2 mising. It kind of reflects the results

Round 23 2022 we only had a handful of those players playing.

With 23 senior spots and unavailable players inevitable there will be plenty of spots for youngsters to get senior game time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone reads here.
Yerp, stole my stats post about Jai vs Daicos last year as well. Pretty sure people were accusing me of being whoever that Twitter poster is for a bit.

With the rebuild through the draft.

If successful, how much is youngsters building something together, and how much is getting youngsters at the pointy end of the draft?

Assuming the club maximises its development program.

Maybe expansion club experience is relevant here too

With the rebuild through the draft.

If successful, how much is youngsters building something together, and how much is getting youngsters at the pointy end of the draft?

Assuming the club maximises its development program.

Maybe expansion club experience is relevant here too
Getting youngsters in together and developing definitely can help. The more time teams spend playing together the better they play for the most part.

But it’s also about getting quality players in that can then develop together regardless of draft pick.

Both are important as without one you won’t win a flag. You both need quality players and players who play as a team.

Wonder what kind of match day coach Mitchell will pan out into. Needs to address the 3rd quarter slumps.

The Harley quarter…I mean premiership

Seriously, who’s mellowed regarding having our first spoon in 6 decades? I have seeing what the glimpses the seniors an box hill are showing.

First pick msd
First pick nd
First pick psd

Father son and fa options

Last edited:
I was just listening to a podcast with Stirling Morlock and he was talking about the importance of cohesion and how it was so important for him and his teammates we was playing the Brumbies in Super 12. Sometimes he just knew to run as he could see the play developing before it actually had.

Listening to it got me thinking about this very topic and how the Hawks have to stay the course, bring the nucleus of the team up together and allow them to develop together, not (as supporters) bemoan the fact player X is playing over player Y.

Sam thinks he has the nucleus and needs to find the pieces required to have a contending team so there will be changes to peripheral positions but the core of the group shouldn't change unless required. We will know soon enough who that group is and who is surplus or just making up numbers.

I was just listening to a podcast with Stirling Morlock and he was talking about the importance of cohesion and how it was so important for him and his teammates we was playing the Brumbies in Super 12. Sometimes he just knew to run as he could see the play developing before it actually had.

Listening to it got me thinking about this very topic and how the Hawks have to stay the course, bring the nucleus of the team up together and allow them to develop together, not (as supporters) bemoan the fact player X is playing over player Y.

Sam thinks he has the nucleus and needs to find the pieces required to have a contending team so there will be changes to peripheral positions but the core of the group shouldn't change unless required. We will know soon enough who that group is and who is surplus or just making up numbers.
By the same token, you risk having players spend large parts of games being too scared to take the game on fearing the players upfield aren’t up to it. Not sure what it does for the players in our forward half to have the ball live in the back half because you are too proud to play more mature bodies in the midfield (as an hypothetical example). They will just get bad habits of kick chasing the ball in our backline.

Brishawk, I'd like to think that if a player doesn't think another player is up to it, they'd be able to express what it is that needs to be improved to change that perception.

Having confidence in your team mates, their ability to know where to run or kick should improve naturally the longer the team plays together. That's why it will be a bit painful but should start to bear fruit slowly but surely.

For us, at this moment in our development, we don't have the mature bodies to stem the bleeding but the cliched '50 games' is closer than we think. Along the way, we will have games where we will be 3 goals up at 1/4 time instead of 1 point and that changes the whole mental dynamic of each team.

That third quarter was tough to watch but the first two showed signs of positive development. What has happened during the half time break needs to be assessed as something is going very wrong during those 20 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back