Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam’s thoughts in late 2021
  • Sam Mitchell wants his Hawthorn side to be more attacking without losing the defensive DNA of the team, the new coach says as he embarks on putting his fingerprints on the team that has known only one coach for nearly two decades.

First team talk at Box Hill
  • (Log in to remove this ad.)

Player belief
  • Hi all. Just wanted to share something that made me very happy yesterday. Two prominent and popular Hawks players told me to put money on Hawthorn to make the finals next year.
    It was a frank conversation and they were very confident and up-beat.

The injection of youth, retention of older players, and appointment of Sam Mitchell as head coach, really has created a new and exciting self-belief at the club. I'm certainly on board with believing that we won't be as bad as most people think.

Happy to name the players but not sure I should, in case it lands them in trouble for 'gambling advice'. I know it's only my word, but just in case

Assistant coaches
  • Robert Harvey – Midfield

Adrian Hickmott – Contest

David Hale – Forwards

Chris Newman – Backline

Damian Monkhorst – Rucks

Andy Collins – Head of Development

Andy Otten – Development

Mitch Lewis speak to RSN breakfast radio
  • Sicily speaks about new coach, new gameplan, Free agency
  • Gunston builds to season, Sam builds relationships

DGB talks about this contract and the HFC
  • Wasn’t quite sure where to post this one, but its more about the club and how things are going than Denver himself so posted it in here.

It’s a good listen and Dwayne is clearly a big fan after this.

Elite Hawks and champion data thoughts
  • This is a very good read. Explains a bit about how the CD rankings are formed.

Moorey gets good marks on the basis of where he gets it, how he uses it and how accurate he his.

“I don’t think things are as far off as perhaps what some in the industry believe,” Daniel Hoyne of Champion Data suggests. “I keep coming back to the midfield discussion, the ability to find a couple midfielders and hopefully the draftees that you’ve just selected (Josh Ward, Connor MacDonald, Sam Butler and Ned Long) might be able to help in that situation. But I think there’s enough there to suggest that 2024, which is only two years away, that finals and top six should be on the cards. But that will only happen if the midfield elevates itself.”

Pre-Round 2 presser
  • Remove this Banner Ad

Back