Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ll keep banging the drum for Worps to be the next Captain.
BB will see out a second season next year and then Worps will get the gig.
Nothing wrong with having a young Captain if they are made of the right stuff. I actually think it’s going to be a critical part of a rebuild that the Captain grows with the team.
Mitchell would know this given his personal experience at Hawthorn alongside Hodge.
mid rather5-6 years of stability than continued placement of guys that are in the twilight of there careers.
No issue with Worps either. My problem with BB is that you can see he is struggling at times, and I'm not sure he will play every game and by playing him (cause he is captain) do we stifle the progress of the building team?

A few suggestions for who captain should be. I put forward Dylan Moore.
He isn't our best player, but he is the hard worker we need to set the standards for a few years.
Richie Vandenberg was the same. Nowhere near our best, but made sure everyone knew to work hard and be a team player

He isn't our best player, but he is the hard worker we need to set the standards for a few years.
Richie Vandenberg was the same. Nowhere near our best, but made sure everyone knew to work hard and be a team player

Would be rather insulting to the senior players to go and pick a guy who has had one good year, dont you think?

Or is this in the world where Mitchell discards all our senior players and goes to the draft with a HEAP of 3rd round picks and we stay in the bottom 4 for a few more years?

I think the club has to go and have a chat with Gil on the soft cap situation and having a transition. The intent of how it works was to stop clubs having a revolving door of coaches when they are sucking on the AFL teat (cough North Melbourne cough). What it is doing is stopping clubs at the bottom who need to make a complete transition. If we can afford to pay out Clarkson, Bolton and whoever else to make a fresh start then we should be arguing why can't we.

I think the club has to go and have a chat with Gil on the soft cap situation and having a transition. The intent of how it works was to stop clubs having a revolving door of coaches when they are sucking on the AFL teat (cough North Melbourne cough). What it is doing is stopping clubs at the bottom who need to make a complete transition. If we can afford to pay out Clarkson, Bolton and whoever else to make a fresh start then we should be arguing why can't we.
Especially when they slashed the soft cap after these contracts were signed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we should have a line in the sand game to determine who is our next captain, if they throw as many punches as Vandenberg did then they become captain, easy...

An example. (Just an example)

Brisbane have limited salary cap space, but they would LOVE Breust. We pay a large part of his wages for two years and get a first round pick back
This off season we will trade out blokes like Mitchell, O’Meara, Wingard, Gunston, Breust – How many I don’t know? But some are going….
Uh huh! Just an example.

You obviously don't "LOVE" him more than Brisbane would.
3 goals in 3 quarters with a competative midfield, 33 goals in a side that's midfield has underperformed in delivery to its forwards and you want him to be traded, for what?
No one is taking his spot on our list because he is a goal kicker

I would suspect that the AFL is crafting a soft cap escape hatch like they did for Norf. Clarkson can be the lord of the game now, taking over for What’s-his-face that just left for geelong.

Why should we be compensated for doing something stupid?

Clarko was contracted to be head coach next year. They should have kept that, and told Sam that they would only talk to him during 2022.

The soft cap was brought in to equalise the competition and penalise stupid decisions. If we have to pay a massive penalty then that is on the board and the executive for screwing up.

Why should we be compensated for doing something stupid?

Clarko was contracted to be head coach next year. They should have kept that, and told Sam that they would only talk to him during 2022.

The soft cap was brought in to equalise the competition and penalise stupid decisions. If we have to pay a massive penalty then that is on the board and the executive for screwing up.
There is a difference between equalising the competition (hey you all get $10m to spend on your off field team, no you can't spend $20m west coast, yes we know you have tonnes of money) compared to penalising a team who is trying (in the Board's opinion) to improve.

There is a difference between equalising the competition (hey you all get $10m to spend on your off field team, no you can't spend $20m west coast, yes we know you have tonnes of money) compared to penalising a team who is trying (in the Board's opinion) to improve.

Surely West Coast would want to spend $20 million trying to improve? Why would you only allow improvement from a bad decision rather than allow continued improvement from continued good decisions?

If anything, reward good management. Dont reward bad management.

Surely West Coast would want to spend $20 million trying to improve? Why would you only allow improvement from a bad decision rather than allow continued improvement from continued good decisions?

If anything, reward good management. Dont reward bad management.

You're making it pretty obvious you've gotten off the ship.
Are you going to spend the next few years s**t trucking the Club because you're offended that Clarko's been let go, or are you going to start supporting again?
;)

You're making it pretty obvious you've gotten off the ship.
Are you going to spend the next few years sh*t trucking the Club because you're offended that Clarko's been let go, or are you going to start supporting again?
;)

If there is no quick improvement, yes.

Good teams dont spend years at the bottom. We have had 2. Picked up some great players. Also seen huge improvements in a number of (formerly) lesser players. And will have 3 good draft picks this year.

There is no reason Mitchell cant rapidly improve the team, as I am positive that Clarko would have had us up around 10th to 12th next year - on the assumption that our 5 LTI players are able to get proper pre-seasons and are available from Round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back