Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 nick names per player:

Jack Saunders (14 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles)
"Mighty Mouse continues to grow. Malfoy's work-rate and willingness to put on pressure is a leading light for our forwards. Draco continues to learn in his skill development, in particular on his non-preferred side.”
Sammy's always been a bit of a stirrer. Can't help himself lol.

There are some wild predictions flying around in here. Wowee. I seriously doubt the club is about to gut the list and jettison anyone of quality to obtain draft picks. It's way too blunt. You can't show the door to your starting midfield and expect a bunch of kids to step up, Melbourne tried that, it doesn't work. It needs to be a gradual rebuild with the right experienced guys around the kids to guide and develop. I can't believe the Bruest talk has reared its head again. He JUST signed a 2 year deal, and has publicly stated he loves the place and wants to be a 1 club player. There will be changes but not to the extent some in here are predicting.

There are some wild predictions flying around in here. Wowee. I seriously doubt the club is about to gut the list and jettison anyone of quality to obtain draft picks. It's way too blunt. You can't show the door to your starting midfield and expect a bunch of kids to step up, Melbourne tried that, it doesn't work. It needs to be a gradual rebuild with the right experienced guys around the kids to guide and develop. I can't believe the Bruest talk has reared its head again. He JUST signed a 2 year deal, and has publicly stated he loves the place and wants to be a 1 club player. There will be changes but not to the extent some in here are predicting.
Im willing to wager… a bottle of 🤔

Which is a problem. Because while I love Clarko and think he's a great coach, he's taken a nominally decent list to back to back bottom 4.
Will be very interesting to see how much we improve (or decline) with a new coach in charge with a different game plan / philosophy.

I don't think our list is top 8 material (to many structural holes) but I definetly feel our overly defensive (in my opinion) game plan over the last thre years hasn't helped.

I feel that if Mitch gives our players a bit more freedom to attack (as I believe he will) we will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Why?

What will we get for him? Why trade out one of our only players left with premiership experience?

The reason that clubs like Carlton and GC are perennially shithouse despite all their picks, is because they dont have good development or leadership.

You dont just get rid of all the guys who do the teaching, its just stupid.

He's surplus to requirements moving forwards IMO, as right now he's the most replaceable in the midfield group. He'll also be 31 when next season gets underway.

Who is he teaching exactly? And what is he teaching? And why couldn't our better established ssenior players teach whatever it is that you believe Shiels is teaching?

It would not be good for us to go into next season with the same older/senior players getting games - it's time for the next generation to play.

The real question is would anyone give up anything for him? I doubt it.

Will be very interesting to see how much we improve (or decline) with a new coach in charge with a different game plan / philosophy.

I don't think our list is top 8 material (to many structural holes) but I definetly feel our overly defensive (in my opinion) game plan over the last thre years hasn't helped.

I feel that if Mitch gives our players a bit more freedom to attack (as I believe he will) we will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

don't get me wrong - I'm really sad how this has played out. But I do think Clarko as a strategic leader wasn't doing what he needed to do - partly because we've just lost so many off field people in the admin area which means Clarko as the big dog is pretty much running everything now. I don't think that has been healthy. I remember being at an event with Stuart Fox who said that the biggest thing he had to deal with when he got here was that Clarko's views were untouchable because of 08 - and it was hampering our ability to develop talent. We all remember the 08 players continuing to get games even when they weren't merited because of loyalty.

Mitch will be our coach and deserves backing, if only because he's bringing a new view on what we have and wants to write his own history for us

Youth and having Hawthorn play an exciting brand of football again. That's what I'd like to see.

In the long-term our backline is shaping up to be one of the best in the league. We currently have seven players who are all either very good to elite players, or are tracking in that direction. All seven have several years left in them.

- Impey (26)
- Sicily (26)
- Hardwick (25)
- Scrimshaw (22)
- CJ (21)
- Day (20)
- DGB (19)

* footywire isn't working for me ATM, so can't get exact ages

It's an excellent core. Though ultimately one or two may end up further up the field (e.g. Day to the midfield and Impey to become a plug-and-play player), and someone like Sicily may be used as trade bait or walk as a FA. The main concern there is finding a long-term FB option.

Maybe Morris and Greaves (though may struggle to keep his list spot) continue to develop and turn themselves into options down the track.

The main issues for Mitchell is working out the midfield and the forward line.

Long term midfield group options are Reeves, Worpel and Bramble (wing). The rest are up for grabs. We obviously really need The Duke, Finn and a reinvented Nash to kick on, with Downie locking down the other wing.

But even with the very best case scenario a midfield of Worpel, The Duke, Nash and Finn lack that high level class and skill. They make up for it in size and tenacity, but we need that skill level that none of them possess. Bramble and Downie both possess the class and kicking ability on the outside, but we need some in the middle too.

As for the forward line - only Moore (21) has locked away a position on the HFF.

I think Brockman (19) will lock down a FP/HFF role, similar to Breust. He's got the class and guile, but not the relentless tenacity of a Rioli or Puopolo.

We all hope S. Mitchell (19) comes on to play that agile, lightning-quick HFF role. When watching his highlights you can see has a level of class and skill by foot that can separate him from the pack... Not to mention his pace.

I think those three will ultimately form a quality HFF rotation with the midfield and FP. But we do still need a workhorse pressure forward like Puopolo to compliment them. Maybe Pepper could be that, if he lasts beyond this season.

The developing KPF stocks - Lewis (22), Kosi (21), Jeka (20) and Callow (19) - look decent on paper. We really need one to announce themselves as a potential elite KPF though.
Dimma is 24. You're also forgetting Morrison for the mids.

People are severely underrating the talent of the key forwards we have.

There are promising signs, but im yet to be convinced any of them will be A graders.
We need far more consistency next year from them.

I know you believe that literally every single player we have will turn out to be Judd/Hodge hybrids. But the reality is that very few KPF's taken so late in the draft turn out to be A-graders.

Hopefully all of ours do and we buck the trend.

There are promising signs, but im yet to be convinced any of them will be A graders.
We need far more consistency next year from them.
Possibly but the talent they have is at a level where they could be A Graders. Koschitzke maybe not, Callow could make it at either ends and Jeka/Lewis are the main two.

I know you believe that literally every single player we have will turn out to be Judd/Hodge hybrids. But the reality is that very few KPF's taken so late in the draft turn out to be A-graders.

Hopefully all of ours do and we buck the trend.
Just on talent is how i look at those 4, Kossie least likely to become a key forward who is dominant an A Grade, maybe as a third tall dominant player but his peak or ceiling would be a Gunston level.

Lewis/Jeka have the highest ceiling and could be A Graders.

Callow is yet to be seen, but could make it as a fwd or def.

I think he will go younger and someone who is more durable. Could Hardwick be in the mix?
I’ll keep banging the drum for Worps to be the next Captain.
BB will see out a second season next year and then Worps will get the gig.
Nothing wrong with having a young Captain if they are made of the right stuff. I actually think it’s going to be a critical part of a rebuild that the Captain grows with the team.
Mitchell would know this given his personal experience at Hawthorn alongside Hodge.
mid rather5-6 years of stability than continued placement of guys that are in the twilight of there careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at a few of the posts I don’t get the concern with trading out players.

Gunston hasn’t played this season and we have eventually got some structure and scoring power over the last few weeks and significant experience into a new batch of players.I think if we can keep scoring reasonable high you could say we can move on.

Shiels will be a Box hill support cast if he stays. If he gets more than a dozen games next year I would be surprised. Leadership doesn’t need to be on game day when there are developing leaders that fill the void.

Mitchell being moved out of the middle for larger portions of the game has enabled the rest of the team to get some cohesion. Again easy to move on when we can get a decent draft pick and probably a role player in that deal.

Sicily is every chance to be offered a payday next season from another club and the compo will be a top 5 pick. You would love to keep him bet the defence is stacked and can fill the void.

Burgoyne is done.

5 significant personalities and leaders, absolutely.
Insurmountable to recover from them not being at the club… no.

Where is the faith on the leadership of guys like Hardwick, Impey, Worpel, Day, Howe, Moore, Morrison and DGB? This is the next group to take us on the journey back to contention.
I would bet my left nut that S.Mitchell has already identified these guys and is why he will not hesitate to “gut” the list of senior leaders over the next 2 years when you see who he wants to place around them.
I think it’s a pretty easy list to build around if you aren’t sentimental and are prepared to back in your (Sam’s) core moving forward.

You aren’t gutting a list of you are handing over the batten.

Just on talent is how i look at those 4, Kossie least likely to become a key forward who is dominant an A Grade, maybe as a third tall dominant player but his peak or ceiling would be a Gunston level.

Gunston was already kicking about 50 goals a season when he was 21, same age as our current key forwards. And that’s in a team been behind Bud and Rough.

I like your optimism, but our boys are starting from a long way back.

AFL 2021: Assistant coaches decisions could handcuff Hawks salary cap

Hawthorn assistant coach Brendon Bolton has no plans to depart the club alongside Alastair Clarkson at season’s end.
Bolton, who is in charge of the midfield group, remains contracted for next season at Waverley and has reaffirmed his commitment to the brown and gold in recent talks to help fast-track the rebuild under new coach Sam Mitchell.

But back line coach Chris Newman remains unsigned for next season and has fielded interest from rivals as he weighs up the next step in his coaching career. Newman has been linked to a move back to Richmond where he played 268 games.

He's surplus to requirements moving forwards IMO, as right now he's the most replaceable in the midfield group. He'll also be 31 when next season gets underway.

Who is he teaching exactly? And what is he teaching? And why couldn't our better established ssenior players teach whatever it is that you believe Shiels is teaching?

It would not be good for us to go into next season with the same older/senior players getting games - it's time for the next generation to play.

The real question is would anyone give up anything for him? I doubt it.
He has no trade value. This off season we will trade out blokes like Mitchell, O’Meara, Wingard, Gunston, Breust – How many I don’t know? But some are going….

And bring in a bunch of kids. He will be required.

Bit delusional their mate.

1 maybe 2 of our young key forwards MAY make it. And if they do ‘make it’ as elite A graders. It goes against everything we know regarding drafting of elite young key forwards. The vast majority come in the first round. Our come for hail marys at the end of the draft.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope a couple make it. I’m just not holding my breath.

Gunston was already kicking about 50 goals a season when he was 21, same age as our current key forwards. And that’s in a team been behind Bud and Rough.

I like your optimism, but our boys are starting from a long way back.
But also take note of who was delivering it to Gunston.

Possibly but the talent they have is at a level where they could be A Graders. Koschitzke maybe not, Callow could make it at either ends and Jeka/Lewis are the main two.
Wow, I see this completely different.

Kosi - is the one that’s shown promise for me. First year in the seniors he’s had a terrific year.

Lewis – He’s soft, limited second efforts and doesn’t seem to want it enough. He the plodder that’ll be on the list in 5 years doing f-all. (Think Tim O'Brian)

Jeka – Needs to put on some bulk, but has looked good. Again, long shot.

Callow – I haven’t seem enough of him to have an opinion. History tells us it’s a long shot though.

Last edited:

I will eat my hat if any of our forwards get anywhere near the level of Gunston. Genuine. Dead Set. Gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back