Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm lazy & only bordering on competent so I'm not doing the research... but if anyone is research inclined, I'd love to know how the average of 108.5 for & 64.7 against matches up; with the 8-2 record as well.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to post.
Without doing any research, if that were afl level it would be a bad result. Hence we shouldn’t read too much into vfl results. ‘Form’ is volatile as players get sucked up to AFL and or get injured. The quality of the non listed box hill players is quite good and our reserve AFL players are good but when a few went out injured we looked half the side.

Without doing any research, if that were afl level it would be a bad result. Hence we shouldn’t read too much into vfl results. ‘Form’ is volatile as players get sucked up to AFL and or get injured. The quality of the non listed box hill players is quite good and our reserve AFL players are good but when a few went out injured we looked half the side.
An AFL side going at 108.5 for & 64.7 against is a bad result? :think:

F***, I hope we're that bad next year!

*was meant to ask how it matches up with 2019 & 2020 Box Hill performances.

8-2 given the 108.5 & 64.7. That was literally the question you asked. I answered. 🤷‍♂️

As updated, my question should have asked for comparison to preceding years: 2019 & 2020, which is what I set out to ask.

bindas12

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Trying to keep a lid on it but really do think Sammy’s going to be a gun coach.

On that leadership podcast he comes across as super well read, smart, self aware and very good interpersonally.

Then you hear Collo say Sammy’s got a great read on the game, others have said similar things recently like Roughy and some of the WCE boys.

So it really seems like he’s got the tactical side of things down pat as well as the skills to sell his vision and foster good relationships.

Now all that is needed is

1) a good staff around him (assistant coaches are just as important given their time spent with the players - seems like we are building a good staff team); and

2) more talent on the list over the next two or three years (easier said than done).
Yes and also needs to win over the players who believe he backstabbed the old coach..

FoxJC

Draftee
Jun 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes and also needs to win over the players who believe he backstabbed the old coach..
If those players don't realise that EVERYONE is a temporary custodian, they are all just cattle themselves and would be moved on in the best interest of the club just like a coach. They are free to request trade and I'm certain Hawthorn would take unders to facilitate it. Buy in or bugger off.

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
I get the impression that the younger blokes are closer to Mitchell than Clarko.

Maybe the likes of Gunston and Wingard are a but offside, who knows, but the majority and I'd say the ones that are the core of the future would be champing at the bit to impress the new sherrif.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I get the impression that the younger blokes are closer to Mitchell than Clarko.

Maybe the likes of Gunston and Wingard are a but offside, who knows, but the majority and I'd say the ones that are the core of the future would be champing at the bit to impress the new sherrif.

Moorey is basically becoming a mini Mitchell with his own spin (fantastic to see)

If like other clubs we inherit the culture of the coach we could have one of the hardest working clubs in the game. Have I said I’m excited for pre season yet 😅

Wasn’t Wingard like trolling Port on Instagram over the weekend? Dare say he’s still bought in, even if he was close to Clarko.

BlackHawk72

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Dumbest comment of the week. Clarko wanted and needed to go, on his own admission he said he should of gone 5 years ago, this isn’t the Clarko FC this is the Hawthorn FC. We haven’t played well in 5 years and Clarko time has past.

dcutter

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dumbest comment of the week. Clarko wanted and needed to go, on his own admission he said he should of gone 5 years ago, this isn’t the Clarko FC this is the Hawthorn FC. We haven’t played well in 5 years and Clarko time has past.
Out of curiosity where/when did Clarko say that? haven't heard that before

A bit of excitement in BigBoys voice last night regarding the more attacking game style that we saw at Box Hill, coming to AFL level.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
A bit of excitement in BigBoys voice last night regarding the more attacking game style that we saw at Box Hill, coming to AFL level.
Good to hear. Surely has to mean personnel change? The box hill style of more running in waves and hitting leading forwards doesn’t suit our midfield.

Will be interesting to see what happens if losses mount up and we are criticised for lacking a defensive side? I reckon a few defensive flaws have been hiddenby conservative game plans.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yeh, not possible.
We've been reliably informed there are no differences in game style or plan, both BH and Senior Hawk team practice exact same methods and systems.:winkv1:
BB will be disappointed.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeh, not possible.
We've been reliably informed there are no differences in game style or plan, both BH and Senior Hawk team practice exact same methods and systems.:winkv1:
BB will be disappointed.
Even with the same gameplan the mindset difference between Clarko and Sam seems very different.

Sam has suggested he wants a more offensive team compared to Clarko, who in his last few years massively stifled our offensive movement to protect our backline.

Defence is very important but when you go too far and can’t score like we have the last 2 years you won’t win many games.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
A refreshing change to our outdated game plan is it? Now that good to hear. I think that latter rounds of the season was a preview to Mitchell-ball.

It looks like the slow possession based game plan is finally dead. Unless you have Hawthorn 2011-2015 levels of skill it's so hard to master. Look at what happened to Geelong when they tried to employ that style with a team they can't kick - they got hammered when it counts.

Sam has suggested he wants a more offensive team compared to Clarko, who in his last few years massively stifled our offensive movement to protect our backline.
Like everyone, I want to see more goals and more offensive pressure, but there has been no directive to stifle attack these past few years. Yes our defensive structures have been well drilled but the way we train and the way we have played when we win, our offensive ball movement has been very effective, high scoring at times, and great to watch. In fact we were coached to take risks and do things that often ended up costing us defensively (think Howe kicking across the face against cats).

As has been rehashed many times, we’ve been let down by our mids and our ball movement and I believe a huge part of this is personnel. Remember, no team looks good when you’re getting pumped. You look slow and stifled. But that’s not just the coaching, that’s the opposition and confidence and capability and a million different factors.

People need to cool their jets a little and realise there is no Flying V flick of the switch more offensive way of playing that is gonna change things over night. There’s a long road ahead and there will be times when we look stifled and slow and it’s likely because we are getting pummelled by better teams.

When you look at the teams playing in the GF, our list is a bit of a way behind, and developing / bringing in A grade talent will be the biggest focus over the next few years. I hope Sam’s coaching brings out the best in these youngsters and his game plan suits our attributes, but beyond that I don’t see massive changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back