Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interesting comment from Chad. "We're going to challenge each other, and Sammy's going to be huge on that, bringing that competitive instinct back into the club and its only going to drive us forward".

Did we not have it?

I’m not privy to what goes on behind close doors but on field I feel our competitive instinct had been missing since round 4 last year. We barely held on against North then due to COVID we had to hub in Sydney. The giants came was bad but the pies game were we kicked 3 goals was woeful.

From that point to the bye this year we looked like a team going through the motions. After that it picked up but still behind where I feel it needs to be.

I don’t think the players weren’t trying because some were trying very hard and it wasn’t clicking. But as a team we just didn’t have it. Where in the second half we got the fire in the bellies and performed a lot better.

Really interesting comment from Chad. "We're going to challenge each other, and Sammy's going to be huge on that, bringing that competitive instinct back into the club and its only going to drive us forward".

Did we not have it?

Someone I know was at a thing in Perth before the GF this year where Hodge was on a panel discussing various things about the premierships. As a part of that, he got around to suggesting that he thought exchanging Mitchell for Clarkson was probably the right call based on the drive for success that he has—seemingly more than Clarko at this point. Basically called him a little Clarko and angry little man.

Does anyone think Sam will really push the way he use to kick particularly with both sides, did he do anything unique at box hill with kicking?

You may be on to something there. Sam mentioned this in his August 4th B.H. player review:

Jack Saunders (14 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles)
"Mighty Mouse continues to grow. Malfoy's work-rate and willingness to put on pressure is a leading light for our forwards. Draco continues to learn in his skill development, in particular on his non-preferred side."

I think the Hawks may try there hand at both in 2022. Trade out fringe players go to the draft and give the seniors a chance under Mitchell in 2022.

Trade out our first pick in 2022 for another in 2021 draft. If we fail to improve in 2022, 2023 could see us net a few early picks. I believe Wingard, Sicily and Gunston are free agents, an we could cash in on draft picks that way for our rebuild.

You may be on to something there. Sam mentioned this in his August 4th B.H. player review:

Jack Saunders (14 disposals, 2 marks, 3 tackles)
"Mighty Mouse continues to grow. Malfoy's work-rate and willingness to put on pressure is a leading light for our forwards. Draco continues to learn in his skill development, in particular on his non-preferred side."
It’s amazing what a simple drill of 100 kicks on each side before starting training can do, couple that with the right mechanics and will make anyone better

So the major reason for replacing Clarkson with Mitchell is 'mostly' intangible?

so we wont know if KPIs are met?

But we have a "Plan"

BTW I want Sam to be successful
Is this meant to make sense?

I think that competitive instinct did leave for awhile. Senior premiership players got comfortable, there was no really selection pressure on them as they would stay in the team despite performances.
Some of them were even made Captain

So the major reason for replacing Clarkson with Mitchell is 'mostly' intangible?

so we wont know if KPIs are met?

But we have a "Plan"

BTW I want Sam to be successful

It wasnt working with Clarkson and trajectory has been going in one direction for 5 years. No-one expected us to stay on top forever, but someone has to own the strategy over past 2-3 years and a clean slate is best for everyone. Club showed real guts in making its call, and Clarko real class in not throwing his toys out and adding fuel to the fire (e.g. Malthouse).

This segment is awful because it just gives him an excuse to throw darts. Also, the man has at no point understood what a sliding doors moment is - a sliding doors moment is where a small thing leads to big consequences. So, if you decide to take a different route home and fortuitously miss a traffic accident on your regular trip, not whatever Barrett decides to write every Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back