Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

If memory serves, each time he got the prune, particularly in the latter games, he was having a feisty little run, then either holding onto it and getting caught, or turning over the ball. I’m not sure that is coachable - otherwise some others in the team (no need to name them, you know who) would have fixed it too. It may come down to poor decision-making under pressure, which afflicts one on and off the field...
In a first season at his age, should and would be very coachable.

Has (had) a lot of upside. Next to no players start out with exemplary play. Most learn, make some games, get dropped here and there, learn some more. Get settled. Build a career.

If memory serves, each time he got the prune, particularly in the latter games, he was having a feisty little run, then either holding onto it and getting caught, or turning over the ball.
Too many prunes can give you the runs, but our nutrition guys should be able to sort that out.

I have for the first time just looked at an instragram account. Showing my age but I assume its just a site people stick photos of themselves on. Seems like a dofus set of photos exactly like I would have expected my kids to have collected of themselves. Unlike the group of photos you would find of me and my contempories on facebook , fancy food shots and big breakfasts. I prefer the kids shots myself, cant we just eat in peace without the need for the meal to be posted on facebook.

Sam Murray seems alarmingly regular to me.

Right let’s break this down.

Here we have a guy that brazenly cheated the rules by having a stimulant in his system on matchday. He’s been stood down for an indeterminate amount of time and is still paid by the club from funds you, I and those criticising him invest in the club. Despite that he’s shown no public remorse over his actions, made no public comment, remains living his best life and the expectation is on us not to label him?

For mine floggish behaviour is floggish behaviour and he doesn’t get a free pass because he once wore a Collingwood jumper. Unfortunately though you are right he’s somewhat regular, not alarmingly thank god, because there are flogs on social media these days it’s just that for mine there’s nothing wrong with people calling it out.

My two cents on Murray the individual in this context. If you’re a professional athlete doing lines midweek your a flog regardless of follow up behaviour and everything else is fair game!

Whoever is doing his pr work needs to be sacked as well. Not one to judge people by pictures but seriously ,you are in one of the biggest sporting clubs in Aus
you just got done for drug use ,maybe at least look like you are sorry for all the drama caused.
It would be hard to look contrite for twelve months solid while the incompetent deadshits at ASADA sit around with their hands out for taxpayer funds and their fat thumbs up their arses.
Maybe you should ask what the fcuk they do for their coin?
Oxygen thieves one and all.

It would be hard to look contrite for twelve months solid while the incompetent deads**ts at ASADA sit around with their hands out for taxpayer funds and their fat thumbs up their arses.
Maybe you should ask what the fcuk they do for their coin?
Oxygen thieves one and all.
Can't argue with that either.

This is an interesting take.

I think most medium talents have one trick or two and are just medium level talent.

Murray is young, Murray has great foot speed.

No reason he can’t learn and develop and use his skills to maximise a team’s play.

Get 30 games or 50 games into him he could have a very solid and dashing career.

Though that might now just be a pipe dream with his ongoing suspension.
We already have plenty of athletes at the club, I wouldn’t mind some footballers. Particularly ones that can kick. No use having speed if you’re going to kick to the opposition most of the time which he excelled at. Would be in the bottom quartile kicking wise at the club and that’s saying something.

More than happy to have him moved on.

We have been in the world of Schrödinger’s Murray for heading towards a year now. Inside the ASADA box, he may be suspended or not, but currently exists in a blended quantum state which somehow reads as flog instead. Who dares open the box? Do we want the box open? Does anyone want their box opened by a horse? Ok, that may have come across slightly wrong...

The only thing we know is that he isnt a cat, because all cats on Instagram are cute.

Right let’s break this down.

Here we have a guy that brazenly cheated the rules by having a stimulant in his system on matchday. He’s been stood down for an indeterminate amount of time and is still paid by the club from funds you, I and those criticising him invest in the club. Despite that he’s shown no public remorse over his actions, made no public comment, remains living his best life and the expectation is on us not to label him?

For mine floggish behaviour is floggish behaviour and he doesn’t get a free pass because he once wore a Collingwood jumper. Unfortunately though you are right he’s somewhat regular, not alarmingly thank god, because there are flogs on social media these days it’s just that for mine there’s nothing wrong with people calling it out.

My two cents on Murray the individual in this context. If you’re a professional athlete doing lines midweek your a flog regardless of follow up behaviour and everything else is fair game!
Do you think there is a reason behind there being no public comments? I’d suggest there are legal reasons behind it. Not sure, but i’d just assume that.

Also, to answer your question about being expected not to label him. I would 100% say it is on you to not label him, considering you do not know him personally.

An instagram post is a tiny, tiny snapshot of someones life. Absolutely minuscule, and often completely inaccurate. The happiest seeming Instagram pages can often be run by seriously unhappy people. Instagram is an extremely innacurate way to judge someones life and/or character, given how selective in nature it is.

Anyways, my point is - No one is really in a position to judge Murrays level of remorse based off Instagram posts (or how he dresses really, even though i agree he has a look that will bring about certain assumptions)

They paint a small picture of someones life, generally only the ‘living your best life moments’ parts. People select what they choose to show, as a result most people leave personal/emotional issues off Instagram, Sam’s no different.

Its basically an positive emotion feedback loop. Whats going to get me likes, and release that dopamine. What post is going to project me as something i’d ideally like to be seen as? Something boring/My struggles with an ASADA case? No. A cool photo with friends at a party? Yes.

But i guess on the flip side, you choose to put those photos out to the public and the public is then entitled to make a judgement on them. But i’d make the argument theres a line where judgements go far beyond what you can ACTUALLY tell from a simple Instagram feed.

Meh, Social media is a complicated issue. Im glad i was born in 1996 and got to enjoy a majority of my childhood out in the real wold anyways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think there is a reason behind there being no public comments? I’d suggest there are legal reasons behind it. Not sure, but i’d just assume that.

Also, to answer your question about being expected not to label him. I would 100% say it is on you to not label him, considering you do not know him personally.

An instagram post is a tiny, tiny snapshot of someones life. Absolutely minuscule, and often completely inaccurate. The happiest seeming Instagram pages can often be run by seriously unhappy people. Instagram is an extremely innacurate way to judge someones life and/or character, given how selective in nature it is.

Anyways, my point is - No one is really in a position to judge Murrays level of remorse based off Instagram posts (or how he dresses really, even though i agree he has a look that will bring about certain assumptions)

They paint a small picture of someones life, generally only the ‘living your best life moments’ parts. People select what they choose to show, as a result most people leave personal/emotional issues off Instagram, Sam’s no different.

Its basically an positive emotion feedback loop. Whats going to get me likes, and release that dopamine. What post is going to project me as something i’d ideally like to be seen as? Something boring/My struggles with an ASADA case? No. A cool photo with friends at a party? Yes.

But i guess on the flip side, you choose to put those photos out to the public and the public is then entitled to make a judgement on them. But i’d make the argument theres a line where judgements go far beyond what you can ACTUALLY tell from a simple Instagram feed.

Meh, Social media is a complicated issue. Im glad i was born in 1996 and got to enjoy a majority of my childhood out in the real wold anyways.

This post is very much in the TLDR category toward me because I’m not anti his social media presence and as a result I skim read it. It’s best directed at GC or one of those posters clipping him. Essentially though the bolded point you make is what I can get on board with in line with my post.

There is also clearly a reason that we haven’t had public comments the thing is that doesn’t change public perceptions. IMO, there’s no legal basis for him not to comment as long as he doesn’t talk on the details. As a result of him not speaking his team has lost the PR battle because it was an opportunity to humanise him as a victim of the system that made poor decisions blah blah blah.

Instead the overwhelming sentiment is “meh he’s just another footballer doing lines”!

This post is very much in the TLDR category toward me because I’m not anti his social media presence and as a result I skim read it. It’s best directed at GC or one of those posters clipping him. Essentially though the bolded point you make is what I can get on board with in line with my post.

There is also clearly a reason that we haven’t had public comments the thing is that doesn’t change public perceptions. IMO, there’s no legal basis for him not to comment as long as he doesn’t talk on the details. As a result of him not speaking his team has lost the PR battle because it was an opportunity to humanise him as a victim of the system that made poor decisions blah blah blah.

Instead the overwhelming sentiment is “meh he’s just another footballer doing lines”!
Yeah my bad, i started replying to yours and then went into the people who were slamming his insta 😂

Good point. Wasn’t sure about the legal reasons. Yeah, a simple statement outlining his remorse and an apology wouldn’t go astray

If memory serves, each time he got the prune, particularly in the latter games, he was having a feisty little run, then either holding onto it and getting caught, or turning over the ball. I’m not sure that is coachable - otherwise some others in the team (no need to name them, you know who) would have fixed it too. It may come down to poor decision-making under pressure, which afflicts one on and off the field...

I didn’t mind him getting caught, he was taking the game on and trying to break through a line to get it forward quick.

I assumed he was told to use your speed at every chance, sometimes you get caught, sometimes it was a dumb choice.

As for kicking like Dangerfield it’s pretty hard to kick well when you are running full tilt

I don't have facebook or instagram or any other of these accounts, and so am bemused by their domination of a forum to discuss the fate of one of our footballers.
Remember the breath of fresh air that Murray provided for Collingwood's game, and the revival of that season when we suddenly became an attacking side, at least partially due to his influence. I think this is why there is no rush to judgement by the club.
The deafening silence from ADADA, the AFL and Collingwood says that legal "brains" are at work, but until there is an announcement we have nothing to go on. I suppose that is why some photos are the centre of discussion.
I just want a decision made so that we can get back to discussing his merits as a footballer based on what we can see on the field, rather than on what we remember through whatever tint of glasses from over a year ago. If he is thrown out, we will just have to move on, as will he.

There is a legal basis for both parties not commenting.
1. AFL and ASADA are prohibited from commenting on the matter whilst it is underway.
2. If a Player comments on their matter, then the AFL and ASADA can comment in response.

So to avoid a public tit for tat, Murray has likely been told to keep schtum. I am kind of pleased this matter has managed to be carried on without comment from either side.

I don't have facebook or instagram or any other of these accounts, and so am bemused by their domination of a forum to discuss the fate of one of our footballers.
Remember the breath of fresh air that Murray provided for Collingwood's game, and the revival of that season when we suddenly became an attacking side, at least partially due to his influence. I think this is why there is no rush to judgement by the club.
The deafening silence from ADADA, the AFL and Collingwood says that legal "brains" are at work, but until there is an announcement we have nothing to go on. I suppose that is why some photos are the centre of discussion.
I just want a decision made so that we can get back to discussing his merits as a footballer based on what we can see on the field, rather than on what we remember through whatever tint of glasses from over a year ago. If he is thrown out, we will just have to move on, as will he.
That’s way too sensible.

Good post.

Happy to delist him, Quaynor and Nobel may appreciate the opportunity more than he ever did
Early days but Quaynor and Noble don't seem like absolute idiots.

I suppose there's also a chance that Noble won't take his opportunities for granted given how he waited for his dream to come true.

This. Spot on.

Why all the fuss. He is not best 22 and if he comes back probably won't play seniors barring injuries.

But he was...With a very small injury list at the time.
You have a very short memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back