Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t think the emergence of Quaynor and Noble plays a part? Because if Quaynor hadn’t cracked a game/looked any good and Noble looked completely out of his depth, i dare say Sams looking at a much different scenario. He is surplus to needs atm, regardless of whether you think he did enough

Adding Noble meant we're at +1 on our list as well so delisting Murray was a quick fix for that without taxing our depth in that role.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure I see the wisdom in delisting someone from the rookie list only to rerookie them.

i didnt realise he was already on the rookie list.

That puts a different complexion on his delisting. It could mean that they rookie him, but only after they have missed out on other options.

Most here deserve an apology for saying this was a poor trade from the beginning. Clubs don't always make good decisions

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Most here deserve an apology for saying this was a poor trade from the beginning. Clubs don't always make good decisions

I for one am very, very sorry that our club doesn't always make the right decision. Quite vexing. The club should apologise forthwith.

My recollection of the Murray's trade and the general view on BF was in this sequence:

1. Collingwood interested in Sam Murray
BF: "WTF is Sam Murray?" "Potential delisting at Sydney- yeah, looks like he's worth a free hit".

2. Collingwood trades its 2018 2nd Rd Pick for Sam Murray and Syd's 2017 4th and 2018 3rd.
BF: "WTF". "I thought he was gonna get delisted - why are we paying a 2nd rd pick?"
There was a bit of mumbo-jumbo about pick worth and pts needed for F/S and NGA players - but people were very much questioning the decision, and Hine's decision making abilities at this point.

3. 2018 (pre-suspension). Sam Murray plays Rd 1-9 and is an absolute livewire off half-back, earning Rising Star nomination in Rd 3. Spends some time in the 2's, then takes his spot back as we're approaching finals. Clearly has his deficiencies with kicking and decision-making, but provides something the team has been desperately lacking.
BF: "Hine has found another one" "Needs more development - but looks great for a 2nd rounder".

Now which people deserve an apology???
I think the general consensus at each of those points in time was pretty reasonable, and once on the field, Hine's scouting and decision making looks pretty spot-on for this trade IMO. The player that we saw pre-suspension was definitely worth a 2nd rounder (ended up being a late 2nd rounder at that).

To suggest that we made a mistake in trading for a guy who got suspended 12 months later for something unrelated is completely hindsight thinking (unless we knew at the time he enjoyed those activities).

Now if you want to argue about the club making mistakes when the outcome was more forseeable - then I agree (Wells definitely - maybe Beams, depending on what happens from here, but also acknowledging that our 2018 1st would've been tied to Quaynor anyway). But the Sam Murray trade is definitely not one of those situations.

My recollection of the Murray's trade and the general view on BF was in this sequence:

BF: "WTF is Sam Murray?" "Potential delisting at Sydney- yeah, looks like he's worth a free hit".

2. Collingwood trades its 2018 2nd Rd Pick for Sam Murray and Syd's 2017 4th and 2018 3rd.
BF: "WTF". "I thought he was gonna get delisted - why are we paying a 2nd rd pick?"
There was a bit of mumbo-jumbo about pick worth and pts needed for F/S and NGA players - but people were very much questioning the decision, and Hine's decision making abilities at this point.

3. 2018 (pre-suspension). Sam Murray plays Rd 1-9 and is an absolute livewire off half-back, earning Rising Star nomination in Rd 3. Spends some time in the 2's, then takes his spot back as we're approaching finals. Clearly has his deficiencies with kicking and decision-making, but provides something the team has been desperately lacking.
BF: "Hine has found another one" "Needs more development - but looks great for a 2nd rounder".

I think the general consensus at each of those points in time was pretty reasonable, and once on the field, Hine's scouting and decision making looks pretty spot-on for this trade IMO. The player that we saw pre-suspension was definitely worth a 2nd rounder (ended up being a late 2nd rounder at that).

To suggest that we made a mistake in trading for a guy who got suspended 12 months later for something unrelated is completely hindsight thinking (unless we knew at the time he enjoyed those activities).

Now if you want to argue about the club making mistakes when the outcome was more forseeable - then I agree (Wells definitely - maybe Beams, depending on what happens from here, but also acknowledging that our 2018 1st would've been tied to Quaynor anyway). But the Sam Murray trade is definitely not one of those situations.
I agree with you about the internet hero experts, but disagree Murray was worth a 2nd round pick.
He was found out after about 3 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This recruitment not working out hurts more and more. We desperately need someone whith pace that can take the game on.

This recruitment not working out hurts more and more. We desperately need someone whith pace that can take the game on.
Have we not got Noble and IQ coming through? Both seem pretty handy.

Have we not got Noble and IQ coming through? Both seem pretty handy.
None of them take on the game like Murray did. They offer some dash but it’s not in the same ball park.

None of them take on the game like Murray did. They offer some dash but it’s not in the same ball park.
Can’t agree with that. We also have Crisp who is heaps better than Murray.

Can’t agree with that. We also have Crisp who is heaps better than Murray.
It can’t only be Crisp though he needs help. Quaynor and Noble haven’t shown enough yet to sufficiently help him in that department. They might improve and start to show it but so far they haven’t.

It can’t only be Crisp though he needs help. Quaynor and Noble haven’t shown enough yet to sufficiently help him in that department. They might improve and start to show it but so far they haven’t.

Noble needs to add some beef.

Quaynor just needs time and experience imo he could allow Maynard to move up to the midfield rotations.

Murray had wheels but poor kick to advantage and poor decision maker. He had a one wood and that's it.
I know Murray had his weaknesses but his will to take on the game was something else. Would have been a really useful tool In the side if he ironed out his deficiencies.

Murray definitely was one of those situations that '4th' rounder was pick 76 (originally 70). A pick we had no intention of using and no different from rookie selection at that stage of the draft.
It was thrown in there to make the deal look more palatable to sheep who look no further then 3rd and 4th rounder.

I know Murray had his weaknesses but his will to take on the game was something else. Would have been a really useful tool In the side if he ironed out his deficiencies.

Did have dash but there are those types in most drafts, Richmond manages to get one every 2nd
draft year. Swans find them with regularity.
Plenty Irish recruits in several teams bring it but have better kicking.
Dogs and GWS find them regularly too.

We well overpaid for him especially.

Saw Murray out in Albury last night at a Sports Club. I’m no expert and I’m clearly making an assumption but I personally thought he was lucky WADA weren’t around. I was pretty shitty actually. Was expecting more from a bloke who’s stuffed up at the Footy Club I love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back