Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

They reckon he might have a small chance of arguing down to a 2 year sentence which would mean he could be back around July next year (train with the team a few months before that).

If that's the case I would personally give him another chance if he meets a lot of strict criteria such as
- Comes clean about his prior (hopefully) drug use and commits to changing his life around.
- Is fit, trains well in pre-season (individually I suppose) is in amazing training form and looks a right fit 'culturally'.
- We think he's clearly a better pick than a rookie.

This is a fair bit different to Keeffe/Thomas situation so these conditions must be harsher
- Keeffe/Thomas got caught off-season and wouldn't have got a strike if the cocaine didn't have the performance enhancing substance traces in it (cocaine is not considered performance enhancing out of season but in season it is treated as such).
- Murray was doing it in season and allegedly quite regularly which is just shows no commitment to the team just like if a player was partying late every night on booze during match week.
- Of course if he does get 4 years then that's too long to keep him around for, that will be mid 2022.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/a535d96719984992d5bed8f7c9ea4e14

Sam Murray’s lawyers will fight for a career-saving ban of only two years, with his AFL anti-doping hearing only weeks away.

The Herald Sun understands negotiations are underway for an AFL anti-doping hearing on his cocaine match-day positive to be held in late June or early July.

Hard-running Pies defender Murray recorded the positive in last year’s Round 19 clash against Richmond and took a provisional sentence after the drug issue came to light.

The maximum ban for a match-day positive for cocaine is four years, which would effectively end the career of the 21-year-old.

But his provisional suspension means a two-year ban would expire late next season, with Murray able to train with the club in the final months of his suspension.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said Murray was ‘in limbo’ as he awaited the next step in the ASADA process.

“I have spoken to Sam periodically and obviously he’s in limbo,” Buckley said on 3AW.

“The ongoing discussions and the investigation by ASADA and the time that it takes for them to come to their conclusions are tough on everyone.

“But the football club has supported Sam and the people who are representing him as best we possibly can, but we are in the dark largely.

“Even the information that I read yesterday and today is more information than I am actually aware of.”

It would make it much easier for the Pies to consider bringing Murray back into the fold for the 2021 season.

Former ASADA boss Richard Ings told the Herald Sun in general it was extremely hard to argue down mandatory four-year suspensions given the difficulty in proving reduced fault.

“Generally speaking its exceedingly rare for an athlete subject to a match day positive for cocaine to get a reduced sanction,“ he said.

The player would have to prove he did not take the drug, or took steps to ensure it was not still in his system between use and the match-day positive.

Murray’s camp has not been in a hurry to expedite the anti-doping hearing because he has been able to train Ovens and Murray club Wangaratta Rovers with his brother Nick.

Murray is being paid by Collingwood and could still be training with the club but has been happy to dodge the scrutiny of remaining around the club.

As a suspended player Murray will not be able to train with a football club through the majority of his ban, but the Pies have the discretion to still be able to pay him.

Collingwood kept Lachie Keeffe and Josh Thomas on their list as rookies while they served drug suspensions despite them being unable to train with the club.

Once Murray fronts the hearing with sports lawyer Ben Ihle, there will be a deliberation which will quickly hand him a suspension.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan yesterday told 3AW the Murray case was coming to a head.

“It’s people’s lives and livelihood. People are entitled to natural justice and a process that plays out. That’s what’s happening.”

Pies chief executive Mark Anderson said recently the club was committed to helping Murray through the case.

“Collingwood and myself are absolutely committed to also supporting Sam through the process that he’s going to face. It will be difficult and probably a lengthy process and we will certainly stand by him and provide him with support as much as we can,” Anderson said.

I don't want to sound too harsh but if Murray goes for four then thats a pretty clear/strong message to all players. Take drugs and your risking your career.

Obviously, testing is improving and players taking drugs during the week can get caught on game day.

A part of me feels sorry for the young fellow and a part of me thinks if the AFL/ASADA are keen to clean up the sport 4 years will do it.

Richard Ings.

The go to rent a quote.

The guy is so obsessed with being the rent a quote.

So right now he's a very longshot unless he has something extenuating that we don't know about.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...r/news-story/a535d96719984992d5bed8f7c9ea4e14

Sam Murray’s lawyers will fight for a career-saving ban of only two years, with his AFL anti-doping hearing only weeks away.

The Herald Sun understands negotiations are underway for an AFL anti-doping hearing on his cocaine match-day positive to be held in late June or early July.

Hard-running Pies defender Murray recorded the positive in last year’s Round 19 clash against Richmond and took a provisional sentence after the drug issue came to light.

The maximum ban for a match-day positive for cocaine is four years, which would effectively end the career of the 21-year-old.

But his provisional suspension means a two-year ban would expire late next season, with Murray able to train with the club in the final months of his suspension.

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said Murray was ‘in limbo’ as he awaited the next step in the ASADA process.

“I have spoken to Sam periodically and obviously he’s in limbo,” Buckley said on 3AW.

“The ongoing discussions and the investigation by ASADA and the time that it takes for them to come to their conclusions are tough on everyone.

“But the football club has supported Sam and the people who are representing him as best we possibly can, but we are in the dark largely.

“Even the information that I read yesterday and today is more information than I am actually aware of.”

It would make it much easier for the Pies to consider bringing Murray back into the fold for the 2021 season.

Former ASADA boss Richard Ings told the Herald Sun in general it was extremely hard to argue down mandatory four-year suspensions given the difficulty in proving reduced fault.

“Generally speaking its exceedingly rare for an athlete subject to a match day positive for cocaine to get a reduced sanction,“ he said.

The player would have to prove he did not take the drug, or took steps to ensure it was not still in his system between use and the match-day positive.

Murray’s camp has not been in a hurry to expedite the anti-doping hearing because he has been able to train Ovens and Murray club Wangaratta Rovers with his brother Nick.

Murray is being paid by Collingwood and could still be training with the club but has been happy to dodge the scrutiny of remaining around the club.

As a suspended player Murray will not be able to train with a football club through the majority of his ban, but the Pies have the discretion to still be able to pay him.

Collingwood kept Lachie Keeffe and Josh Thomas on their list as rookies while they served drug suspensions despite them being unable to train with the club.

Once Murray fronts the hearing with sports lawyer Ben Ihle, there will be a deliberation which will quickly hand him a suspension.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan yesterday told 3AW the Murray case was coming to a head.

“It’s people’s lives and livelihood. People are entitled to natural justice and a process that plays out. That’s what’s happening.”

Pies chief executive Mark Anderson said recently the club was committed to helping Murray through the case.

“Collingwood and myself are absolutely committed to also supporting Sam through the process that he’s going to face. It will be difficult and probably a lengthy process and we will certainly stand by him and provide him with support as much as we can,” Anderson said.

The article says he could still be training with Collingwood if he wanted.

I don’t think that’s correct because if he trained with Collingwood his ban would not be backdated.

Regardless it sounds like hopefully we get a decision soon. If it’s two years the club has a decision to make. If it’s longer than that then they have a very easy decision to make.

Suspect he will get a one year rookie deal like Keeffe and Thomas if it’s only a two year ban .

Sounds like we won’t get a decision before the mid season draft, meaning we can’t top up if we wanted to.

But who gives a s**t about that any more after landing Tom Wilson!

The article says he could still be training with Collingwood if he wanted.

I don’t think that’s correct because if he trained with Collingwood his ban would not be backdated.

Regardless it sounds like hopefully we get a decision soon. If it’s two years the club has a decision to make. If it’s longer than that then they have a very easy decision to make.

Suspect he will get a one year rookie deal like Keeffe and Thomas if it’s only a two year ban .

Sounds like we won’t get a decision before the mid season draft, meaning we can’t top up if we wanted to.

But who gives a **** about that any more after landing Tom Wilson!

He was always just a rookie list stop gap speculative pick anyway, he's barely AFL talent. We should just chop him, he would be easily replaced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was always just a rookie list stop gap speculative pick anyway, he's barely AFL talent. We should just chop him, he would be easily replaced.

Keeffe and Thomas were both rookie picks too.

But yeah whether he can come back from here and again be a worthy speculative rookie pick will be part of the decision making process.

He showed some talent (rising star nominated) so it’s flippant to just write him off as “barely AFL talent”. Most first year rookies tick that box!
Like Thomas and Keeffe he took illicit drugs that would have otherwise earned him an anonymous first strike in different circumstances. None of the three had any intention to cheat. The club took this into consideration for Thomas and Keeffe and will do the same for Murray.

This is all a moot point if he gets more than two years.

The club has a moral responsibility on two fronts - one to be compliant and empower the investigators - and secondly to support the player through the process from start to finish.

Letting the kid go before a sentence is handed down sends a BAAAAD message to upcoming prospective draftees and their parents / guardians. On the other hand no club can be seen to be soft on this issue.

All clubs walk a tightrope in this regard and the only winners are the media.

FFS what a tosser. Traded a 2nd Round pick for him to just do a line of coke. No respect for himself or the club. See ya, Sam and shut the door on the way out.
Must be nice being perfect.

The part that shits me is "Murray’s camp has not been in a hurry to expedite the anti-doping hearing because he has been able to train Ovens and Murray club Wangaratta Rovers with his brother Nick.".

If that is true in any way then one must assume that Murray has no consideration for the club - he knows he is gone for at least two years and possibly the full four, but is still happy to collect paychecks and stuff around with his brother in his bush league team while taking up a list spot that could have been used to grab someone else desperate to play at AFL level who could actually help the club.

I realise there is nothing the club can do about it and that we have to put on a public face of supporting him,but as soon as he gets found guilty then we should delist him on the spot and not pay him another cent on principle because if what has been written is correct then he clearly has not had the best interests of the club in mind at any point during their saga.

The part that shits me is "Murray’s camp has not been in a hurry to expedite the anti-doping hearing because he has been able to train Ovens and Murray club Wangaratta Rovers with his brother Nick.".

If that is true in any way then one must assume that Murray has no consideration for the club - he knows he is gone for at least two years and possibly the full four, but is still happy to collect paychecks and stuff around with his brother in his bush league team while taking up a list spot that could have been used to grab someone else desperate to play at AFL level who could actually help the club.

I realise there is nothing the club can do about it and that we have to put on a public face of supporting him,but as soon as he gets found guilty then we should delist him on the spot and not pay him another cent on principle because if what has been written is correct then he clearly has not had the best interests of the club in mind at any point during their saga.
The club gave him permission to train at Wang.

Sounds to me like best case scenario is 2 years so there never was any rush.

I wouldnt put too much credence into what the journos said about Murrays alleged motivation to delay proceedings. DOesnt make much sense. His ban will commence from when he took provisonal suspension, so what he does in teh meantime is irrelevant. Why shouldnt he want to play in his brothers team from which the Swans identified him in the first place?

Have you ever made a bad decision?
Of course I have, but just because he made a bad decision doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism. It was a completely reckless decision, he knew what he was doing and what would eventuate if he got busted. For his sake I hope he gets a lessened sentence but in another sense I'm glad he's gone because maybe he will be able to shake this drug-induced life-style and perhaps one day return a changed man. Until then, he has brought shamed to himself and the club he represents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back