Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That previous post is right, if he ends up somewhere, we would get compensation. He is a UFA courtesy of being de-listed last year and coming to the end of his current contract this year. Wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of compo though!

There are actually 3 potentially correct outcomes for Murray:

Trade - we get trade value (if that equates to anything)
UFA - we get compo (if that equates to anything)
DFA - SFA other than a little cap relief.

Time will tell.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
No chance. His manager, Nick Geischen, just said on Trade Radio that "...he definitely won't be at Collingwood next year."

Yep, don't want him. Club told the players what would happen to anyone who broke the doping code. Some lines cannot be crossed.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, don't want him. Club told the players what would happen to anyone who broke the doping code. Some lines cannot be crossed.

Obviously Sammy had other ideas...………...

Beachsnorting.jpg

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Obviously Sammy had other ideas...………...

View attachment 760674

We’re seeing some serious hustle from his management lately! What are we up to 3 puff pieces this off-season?

If only they’d been this active during his 12 month disappearing act. Perhaps he would have earned another crack with us...

One doesn’t just accidentally run into cocaine, so there must be a reason for the “inadvertent contact”. Despite these articles Murray is yet to detail publicly how that contact occurred, which leaves room for questions. For example was he hanging out with users or dickheads?

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
One doesn’t just accidentally run into cocaine, so there must be a reason for the “inadvertent contact”. Despite these articles Murray is yet to detail publicly how that contact occurred, which leaves room for questions. For example was he hanging out with users or dickheads?

I would think a large number of friends of AFL players would be taking coke, so if they were all going out, it’s highly likely they would be exposed.
In Murray’s case he may have slipped and unfortunately fallen face first onto a line of coke.

Honestly, I’m not sure who he thinks he’s kidding when he says it’s been ‘proven’ that his contact was inadvertent. The only thing that could be proved was that he only had trace amounts left in his system. If he could truly prove that his ingestion was inadvertent then it’s very doubtful that the club would have cut him given their past history in dealing with these matters. Other clubs will know this too, so I’m not sure he’s doing himself any favours trotting our that line.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tbh bit bewildered we cut him but retained Broomhead, just on potential footballing output alone.
Totally agree. Must be other stuff the club is aware of that we don’t know. Looking from the outside only, but it looked to me he wasn’t really close to any group of players.
I wouldn’t really know to be quite honest, but I’ve got faith in that the club wouldn’t walk away from Murray given the work and trade they put in to get him here. So must be some serious issues there.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Honestly, I’m not sure who he thinks he’s kidding when he says it’s been ‘proven’ that his contact was inadvertent. The only thing that could be proved was that he only had trace amounts left in his system. If he could truly prove that his ingestion was inadvertent then it’s very doubtful that the club would have cut him given their past history in dealing with these matters. Other clubs will know this too, so I’m not sure he’s doing himself any favours trotting our that line.

That is actually the likely situation since he had the penalty not only reduced to two years (the “standard” if a panel accepts it wasn’t intended to enhance performance) but taken another step further in being reduced to 18 months.

But with confidentiality we will never know.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
People who know him well in Albury where I’m from will tell you a completely different story then the one Sam and his publicist are spinning.
I don’t want to throw stones in an anonymous forum but what I will say is that I definitely don’t believe his spin.

Phil Inn

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
People who know him well in Albury where I’m from will tell you a completely different story then the one Sam and his publicist are spinning.
I don’t want to throw stones in an anonymous forum but what I will say is that I definitely don’t believe his spin.

This was not his first rodeo.

Yep. Obviously we don't know what was said by Murray inside the walls of the club, but I'd expect that the club would demand full transparency.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a reason Marc McGowan said on Twitter that Sydney won't be going back to him.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tbh bit bewildered we cut him but retained Broomhead, just on potential footballing output alone.
Hmmmm... an idiot that puts his own personal high ahead of his employers expectations, and in reality, his contracts requirements, vs a guy who put his own physical well-being, in the pursuit of a goal for his team.
Such a hard, hard choice.
But only a choice for those who have no f’ing idea.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hmmmm... an idiot that puts his own personal high ahead of his employers expectations, and in reality, his contracts requirements, vs a guy who put his own physical well-being, in the pursuit of a goal for his team.
Such a hard, hard choice.
But only a choice for those who have no f’ing idea.
I suppose another way you can look at it a young employee who has potential to be very good who has made a mistake or an employee who has been employed for some time and tries his best but just doesn’t seem to cut it and isn’t helping the rest of his colleagues go the next level.

I don’t think it’s a scenario as ‘black and white’ and obvious as you make it out to be.

Then again you are probably just a morally superior person to me and that’s not being facetious. You probably just are.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

You don’t need to be where he is from to know his story has more holes in it than Swiss Cheese.

Only sideswipe believes his propoganda. ;)

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suppose another way you can look at it a young employee who has potential to be very good who has made a mistake or an employee who has been employed for some time and tries his best but just doesn’t seem to cut it and isn’t helping the rest of his colleagues go the next level.

I don’t think it’s a scenario as ‘black and white’ and obvious as you make it out to be.

Then again you are probably just a morally superior person to me and that’s not being facetious. You probably just are.
“young employee”.
That sounds so good. Sounds as if the poor guy has been thrown into the deep end without any support.
Reality of course dismisses that version of events.
All AFL recruits are schooled about their obligations when becoming professional athletes in an elite competition.
Simply, there is no excuse for any AFL player when it comes to illicit drugs, or any substance that they ingest. Every club provides education and support to ensure their employees don’t fall foul of the drug laws.
If a player/employee decides to ignore the education, then they suffer the consequences.
It is Black and White. There are no grey areas. Every recruit is schooled about their obligations.
To think otherwise is simply head in sand.

P.S. I’m not “morally superior“. I just understand the laws of the game and expect those lucky enough to be in the competition to respect, and understand the opportunity they have, without shitting in the nest.

PPS. There are plenty of industries in the country who have mandatory drug testing. Employees such as truckies and miners who would be sacked on the spot with a positive drug test. No waiting for authorities to work out culpability, no reduction in ban for extenuating circumstances.
In the real world, justice is swift.

Back