Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sidey for the lay person (like me) please explain what ADRVP means?

If it means some bullshit excuse please don’t bother.

Honestly, I’m not sure who he thinks he’s kidding when he says it’s been ‘proven’ that his contact was inadvertent. The only thing that could be proved was that he only had trace amounts left in his system. If he could truly prove that his ingestion was inadvertent then it’s very doubtful that the club would have cut him given their past history in dealing with these matters. Other clubs will know this too, so I’m not sure he’s doing himself any favours trotting our that line.

My take is we cut him for a combination of two reasons.

a) we don't think he'll be very good
b) a message for the team regarding lifestyle

He's likely enough to keep if he's a cleanskin, but he's not likely enough to keep if it sends a bad message to the group about irresponsible decisions being acceptable.

Sidey for the lay person (like me) please explain what ADRVP means?

If it means some bullshit excuse please don’t bother.

I think the decision of the club provides a good insight into the believability of said messaging from the Murray camp. It appears the interest is now dwindling from those in the know within the industry because it now looks like he’ll need to wait until post draft for a training invite.

He's likely enough to keep if he's a cleanskin, but he's not likely enough to keep if it sends a bad message to the group about irresponsible decisions being acceptable.

It’s a reasonable assessment if you ask me. We must also really rate Sier if it’s the case!

I think the decision of the club provides a good insight into the believability of said messaging from the Murray camp. It appears the interest is now dwindling from those in the know within the industry because it now looks like he’ll need to wait until post draft for a training invite.
Interesting to see someone over on the D&T board say he didn’t train at Wangaratta all year. With that and his little article this week I can see why clubs are cooling.

It’s a reasonable assessment if you ask me. We must also really rate Sier if it’s the case!

An invite was never an option - can’t train with any club until about Dec 17.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting to see someone over on the D&T board say he didn’t train at Wangaratta all year. With that and his little article this week I can see why clubs are cooling.

Pending the legitimacy of that claim it’s the sort of fact checking Collingwood and all interested parties would do on all aspects of his story unlike supporters or the ADRVP...

I’m curious as to how it precludes him from being signed as a DFA, drafted or reaching an agreement with a club prior to the ban lifting. Clearly he can’t formally commence training, but an invitation is different and AFAIK there is nothing to prevent him being acquired beforehand.

Both Thomas and Keeffe were drafted while under a suspension and I think the AFLPA would have a serious issue with the AFL stepping in (as would the courts I assume).

Anyone would think you represent him as part of his management or lawyers given how willing a participant you are in his narrative....

Last edited:
Pending the legitimacy of that claim it’s the sort of fact checking Collingwood and all interested parties would do on all aspects of his story unlike supporters or the ADRVP...

I’m curious as to how it precludes him from being signed as a DFA, drafted or reaching an agreement with a club prior to the ban lifting. Clearly he can’t formally commence training, but an invitation is different and AFAIK there is nothing to prevent him being acquired beforehand.

Both Thomas and Keeffe were drafted while under a suspension and I think the AFLPA would have a serious issue with the AFL stepping in (as would the courts I assume).

Anyone would think you represent him as part of his management or lawyers given how willing a participant you are in his narrative....

I merely corrected your imaginary idea that he would receive a “training invite” prior to the draft.

It’s ok. We all make mistakes. Like Sam.

It’s not that hard to deduce what’s happened imo.
He was caught with coke in his system on game day and instead of coming clean with the club he’s maintained for 18 months that it was ‘inadvertent contact’.
He stayed away from the club during his ban but instead of keeping a low profile he decided to be a wannabe gangsta on social media.
He was meant to be training with Wangaratta football club, but rumours floating around are they barely saw him at the club at all.
Also rumours that he was on the nose beers up country during his ban.
Reports coming out that interest from clubs has cooled.

Putting the pieces together, he got banned, went up country and acted like an idiot thinking he was out of the spotlight, the club found out what he’d been doing (they always do) during his time away and cut him. Other clubs have started to dig and have found out the same stuff and their interest has disappeared. The guy is a grade a idiot and doesn’t deserve to get another shot. He hasn’t learned his lesson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I merely corrected your imaginary idea that he would receive a “training invite” prior to the draft.

It’s ok. We all make mistakes. Like Sam.

No you didn’t. You said it wasn’t an option when it absolutely is.

Last edited:
He was caught with coke in his system on game day and instead of coming clean with the club he’s maintained for 18 months that it was ‘inadvertent contact’.
He stayed away from the club during his ban but instead of keeping a low profile he decided to be a wannabe gangsta on social media.
He was meant to be training with Wangaratta football club, but rumours floating around are they barely saw him at the club at all.

Putting the pieces together, he got banned, went up country and acted like an idiot thinking he was out of the spotlight, the club found out what he’d been doing (they always do) during his time away and cut him. Other clubs have started to dig and have found out the same stuff and their interest has disappeared. The guy is a grade a idiot and doesn’t deserve to get another shot. He hasn’t learned his lesson.
There are a lot of rumours there, I'm not saying they arn't true but that's some inside info there, I like to give people the benefit of doubt but if all you said is true then it's probably good we let him go

There are a lot of rumours there, I'm not saying they arn't true but that's some inside info there, I like to give people the benefit of doubt but if all you said is true then it's probably good we let him go
Where there’s smoke there’s fire, and clubs don’t get put off by BS rumours, they dig deeper and find out the truth. If clubs are going cold on giving Murray another opportunity then those rumours are very likely to have some substance, given his very promising start to his senior career pre-ban.

My only question is where is upcountry from Wang?

I would hazard a guess that acceptance by a Tribunal of a mitigating factor like that (if this was the case) would have involved a good level of “proving”. But these are semantics around a supposition.

They would have relied heavily on level detected to deduce that the cocaine “contact” wasn’t intended as performance enhancing. In the absence of a witness seeing something to the contrary there’s not much more they can go on. Plus it’s not their role to care or determine if someone is a model citizen or drug user.

They would have relied heavily on level detected to deduce that the cocaine “contact” wasn’t intended as performance enhancing. In the absence of a witness seeing something to the contrary there’s not much more they can go on. Plus it’s not their role to care or determine if someone is a model citizen or drug user.

The 18 month penalty indicates Murray showed the Tribunal he didn’t intentionally take the substance.

The 18 month penalty indicates Murray showed the Tribunal he didn’t intentionally take the substance.

Or they are grappling with how to treat party drugs that are banned on match day, but are still in the system because they were taken a few days before match day. It's an area that has copped a lot of criticism and they're currently reviewing.

Fixed that for you!

I like your thinking but it was for the Tribunal to accept and maybe ASADA to disprove in the hearing. And to go a step further, the fact that ASADA chose not to appeal maybe shows they believed him too! Or maybe that it was time to give up. Maybe we should follow them!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back