Delisted Sam Murray [delisted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Free to play next season but cut by Collingwood today. A bit odd that they'd keep him throughout his suspension and delist him as soon as he was available to play again, but I guess Quaynor and Noble may have gone past him in the same role.

Would anyone pick him up? He looked promising last year and a team like Melbourne or St Kilda could definitely use his run.

I reckon talent wise he is fine and would be close to our best 22, but there must be some serious off field issues for the pies to let him go given they stuck by Keeffe and Thomas for longer

He'll get another chance somewhere, Collingwood might even as a rookie
Collingwood delisted him last year and put him on the rookie list this year, he’s now delisted from their rookie list.

After what happened with Willie Rioli, I doubt any AFL club would be willing to take a punt on him.

Cos he is the only one who snorts coke on a Friday night ?

I suspect a club will use a 4th round on him and offer him a minimum contract. Unless he is a complete moron he wont be playing up again.

No dramas at all picking this guy up. As Buzz said, great replacement for Shaw. And one that is a known quantity, not an 18 year old draft lottery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be the worst player the blues could take a shot at as a Rookie , Certainly would fill a need with Doc & Williamson injuries past few years
handy backup
On paper perhaps, but we're still a side with very young leaders and a lot of players in their first 3 or 4 years of their careers. A guy who was silly enough to snort coke 24 hours before a match probably needs a club with an older, more experienced playing group.

On paper perhaps, but we're still a side with very young leaders and a lot of players in their first 3 or 4 years of their careers. A guy who was silly enough to snort coke 24 hours before a match probably needs a club with an older, more experienced playing group.
Dont know about that
Simmo,Murphy,Curnow,Cripps,Docherty,Kreuzer etc are pretty good leaders and im sure the kid has learnt from his mistake and would need to salvage whats left of his career and will not make the same mistake but on a 1 year rookie contract its a small risk for a player that could fill a role and is in the right age bracket being 22 could be a great pickup

I'm confident in the club having the player mentors and leaders on and off the field that could support a young player who has made one indiscretion

Think Carlton have come too far in terms of character focus since Fev, Garlett, Robinson, Yarran, Bootsma etc. and to a lesser extent Gibbs, Menzel and Holman to go down the path with someone who brings baggage and potential heat, whether he is a good kid or not to be honest.

Couple this with the fact that a running half back is probably the last position we need support in on the field and it's a probable no from me and hopefully the club, especially after a year out of the game and a professional environment.

Would seem a good fit for a good culture like Hawthorn perhaps, who have Birchall unable to get on the park?

Also seems strange for the Pies to cut him after hanging onto him in the first place?! I suppose a week is a long time in footy, let alone a year though... More to it perhaps?

I'd prefer 2010 Fev than this bloke. Potential culture poison.
Not that I am a fan of Murray, but surely actual poison is worse than “potential” poison. One in the hand...
Fev was a nightmare at the time. For all we know, Murray did a line once. Young enough to learn from the mistake, and also, no where near as good as Fev back then to have a head big enough to think he is invincible.

Not that I am a fan of Murray, but surely actual poison is worse than “potential” poison. One in the hand...
Fev was a nightmare at the time. For all we know, Murray did a line once. Young enough to learn from the mistake, and also, no where near as good as Fev back then to have a head big enough to think he is invincible.

It's more than 'just a line once'. Far worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back