Traded Sam Murray [traded to Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Harley mentioned earlier that a trade would be done that benefits the Swans and they were able to trade Murray as they were prepared to offer him a senior list spot.

Seems like Swans named their price and held firm and Collingwood panicked and agreed at the last minute, probably with pick 70 thrown in to try and save face.

Well that makes all the difference then and well done Pies.

Steal of the draft no doubt!

No one's saying it is, apparently the points add up to a pick in the 40s, and Hine said we were more than likely to have to use next years second rounder on either an academy player, or the second son of Craig Kelly, so that makes a difference as well.

But we'll wait and see i guess.

Also, yes we could have attracted a higher profile player with a 2018 second rounder, a Saad perhaps, but the club is mindful of increasing cap space for a chance at a big fish come next year, and Saad wouldn't be on minimum wage.

No one's saying it is, apparently the points add up to a pick in the 40s, and Hine said we were more than likely to have to use next years second rounder on either an academy player, or the second son of Craig Kelly, so that makes a difference as well.

But we'll wait and see i guess.
I like reading the welcome thread on your own team board for Murray better!

Sugar coating in here is not needed! ;)

He could well be a player and this is great and i don't think anyone can deny this BUT it is the price you guys paid that is mind boggling and surely a 5th Rd pick the Swans would of taken easily and he was hardly starring in their 2nds team and rarely talked about by avid Swans 2nds watchers that post on here.

I do agree though that Murray will be harshly and unfairly looked upon by your own supporters when he gets a game and that is no ones fault but Hines for going so early on him.
This is the truth. Hard on Murray because he will unfairly be held to account.

But as you say barely rates a mention from Swan reserve watchers in their thread, seems to have struggled in the NEAFL finals, no evidence I can see where he was ever considered close to being at senior level for the Swans (understand he was a rookie) and finished 14th best Swan in the NEAFL MVP in 2017. As you say wasn't starring in the NEAFL and now has to see whether he has the form to make an impact at VFL level in 2018.

Where does the 2018 round 2 , likely 20-25, come into this negotiation. No problem if we wanted him as a bit of a hopeful pick but we needed the right price.

Mate if you haven't heard of Lachie Weller, that's your problem. I daresay more than half of Bigfooty know who he is. He's the one that everyone's Girlfriend wants to bone.
Give me Mav over him any day. (Not in a football sense) [no homo]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually hope he ends up being a resounding success.

Every year similar no-names are drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round and are talked up as the second coming, what a slider! But because he's been rookie listed for 2 years he's now not a talented youngster who needs to iron out a couple of flaws to really prosper at senior level, he's a waste of a spot. He may well be, but no more so than half the other 2nd rounders most years.

Good luck to him.

Collingwood seem to think their scouting resources mean they're a step ahead of everyone else at the moment. Trading for rookies no one's heard of, drafting guys who wouldn't have been on anyone's radar fairly early.
Fairly sure they aren’t under that illusion given our scouting network is the least resources in the league (changing next year).

Pretty sure it’s just Hine drinking his own bath water. Thank * he’s not our list manager after this year.

So apparently we have a couple of father/sons and an academy player in play over the two seasons and at least one of them Hine believes would have required our 2nd rounder anyway if we kept it due to a father/son and academy player we have priority access too being in the draft next year. I don’t know what the two players for next year are like ( the f/s is Will Kelly, son of Craig and the academy kid I think is a kid named Liam Holt-Fitz but I could be wrong on that one) but if we are targeting all three that may have affected our strategy here. We got pick 70 this year in the deal which I wouldn’t expect us to use especially as we have two rookies to upgrade (Cox & Thomas) but it does carry points, and we usually finish the national draft with a senior list position or two vacant. So it may have been included to ensure we have the points to take Tyler Brown this year without going into deficit next year.

If this is what plays out then this trade would make sense. Otherwise I think someone may have been drunk when they where doing the deal.

Collingwood seem to think their scouting resources mean they're a step ahead of everyone else at the moment. Trading for rookies no one's heard of, drafting guys who wouldn't have been on anyone's radar fairly early.

Actually it's the Opposite. Club been Cheap Skates on Scouting for awhile and its coming back to bite us on the Ass

Rookie contract wasn't it?

Yes. If you look at the Swans we won't upgrade a Rookie (Very tight salary cap and why not take a punt in the draft) unless we think they will be best 22 the following season. We always go in with the minimum senior list and the maximum rookie list. Not to mention we make rookie listed players do their time on the rookie list.

I think the talk of upgrading him to the senior list was just bluffing at the trade table to be honest.

Yes. If you look at the Swans we won't upgrade a Rookie (Very tight salary cap and why not take a punt in the draft) unless we think they will be best 22 the following season. We always go in with the minimum senior list and the maximum rookie list. Not to mention we make rookie listed players do their time on the rookie list.

I think the talk of upgrading him to the senior list was just bluffing at the trade table to be honest.

Doubt it, Collingwood and Sydney have a very good trade history, i doubt either side would bluff like that over a future second with a 3rd going back.

IMO the Swans had plans for this kid and we had to offer something decent to pry him loose, time will tell.

Doubt it, Collingwood and Sydney have a very good trade history i doubt either side would bluff like that over a future second with a 3rd going back.

IMO the Swans had plans for this kid and we had to offer something decent to pry him loose, time will tell.

We have a good trade history and the Swans have a good trade history with most clubs. Look at T. Mitchell last year. But, I don't know how we got a 2018 2nd rounder. I mean GWS didn't want to trade Wilson for a future 2nd rounder and he is a player I would have traded our first rounder for.

We have a good trade history and the Swans have a good trade history with most clubs. Look at T. Mitchell last year. But, I don't know how we got a 2018 2nd rounder. I mean GWS didn't want to trade Wilson for a future 2nd rounder and he is a player I would have traded our first rounder for.
Who knows, Hine reckons it's highly likely our 2018 second was going to be needed for an academy or FS, meaning it was almost worthless to us, maybe there was a wink and a nod involved, we scratch yours and you scratch ours down the road.

maybe there was a wink and a nod involved, we scratch yours and you scratch ours down the road.

That I can believe because we (Swans/Collingwood) always get deals done relatively easily. I definitely think it was a greater picture trade and behind closed doors the club officials knew what they were doing. I can't believe it was a situation where someone was put over a barrel. Kind of like the Weller deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back