Play Nice Sam Murray Under ASADA Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, all jokes aside. No club is immune but some clubs don't do too much about it & the alarm bells were ringing back when Pert sounded things out a few years back.
So Collingwood removed the problem.

Hang on sec

You’ve just been told you failed a drug test and your career is in turmoil .....your life is spinning ...your head is spinning ......I think he would have been under a lot of duress and stress

Put all this aside .....he’s 20 and made mistake ....he’s not a serial killer nor is he Ben cousins

This is not against Sam personally, I'm merely of the view that illicit substances should be treated as performance enhancing - seems in this case it will be because it was detected on match day.

I know it is a mistake and he is 20 and is probably one of 10's or even 100's of young AFL listed players who indulge in what they shouldn't be. I get that it's a part of the norm for young adult males but that does not excuse it.

I'm opposed to the activity not Sam himself.

Apologies if it has been raised, but if he has tested positive on game day, under the rules, can Collingwood now be stripped of premiership points as it’s deemed as performance enhancing.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Apologies if it has been raised, but if he has tested positive on game day, under the rules, can Collingwood now be stripped of premiership points as it’s deemed as performance enhancing.

As Collingwood lost the game no points to be stripped.

Yep, we will be docked of all premiership points we earned against Richmond in round 19.

I do think one rule should be introduced

If a club loses a player to asada based suspension that club should have one less on its list next year

I think lists are 44 I think ...so pies should play with 43 next year

That you way ther is some kind of team punishment ......it’s a team game

You do realise thats exactly what Collingwood did with Keefe and Thomas?
Both were rookied so that we had the first option to keep them once they suspension was done (taking up 2 rookie list spots, for 2 years, with ineligible players) - if they were delisted then they would have to come through the draft with all teams getting the same opportunity.

Now that was the clubs choice to make, but in hindsight was probably the right call (for both the club and the players) but it pretty much fulfills your suggestion I would've thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I've heard that is the feeling among players, better for your skinfolds too

This is where I have an issue with people dismissing it as nothing to do with performance enhancement.

Player A goes out on the town and has half a dozen beers to get his buzz for the evening. Nothing stupid and barely what you'd call pissed.

Player B is with him and pops a pill to get around the same level of buzz.

One has taken a legal substance, yet has to work a lot harder to get back to the same level as he was before the night out than the player taking an illegal substance.

If it allows you a mental break + gives you a shortcut in your recovery, it's aiding your performance, even if indirectly.

- 4 year Ban
- Strip Collingwood thier finals spot
- Remove draft picks
- massive fine

Am I doing this right?
If there was a team system in place where they all did a line before crossing one then absolutely, but there isn't a suggestion of that.

Was it Murray or the club? There is a possibility that Murray used the "personal issue" to hide his "behaviours" from the club which is likely.

It is also likely that the club found out and decided not to make it public - timeline is a guess at best between his "use" and when the club found out.

Of course these scenarios are speculation yet are likely.

Just listening to SEN now Cornes reported that the club "are aware of the investigation"

It could well have been both.

Going from what I know from USADA (and I assume ASADA is very similar) they have a strict policy of not making any public statements at this early stage unless the athlete themselves wish to make it public. All they would do is inform the organisation (in this case the AFL, but I don't think the club).

Now I would hope that Murray was open with the club once he was informed, but he has every right for it not to be made public at this stage - and Collingwood may have been respecting his wishes, which he is entitled to according to ASADA's rules, in calling it "personal reasons".

In fact, I would not be suprised if ASADA bring this up with the AFL if one of their reported breached ASADA policy by leaking this.

Look, all jokes aside. No club is immune but some clubs don't do too much about it & the alarm bells were ringing back when Pert sounded things out a few years back.
So Collingwood removed the problem.

It does feel a bit this way.

My understanding is the Pies have had a problem with this since the Swan/Didak/Beams years and then ended up trying to more serial offenders out of the club, like Marley Williams.

Still seems to be an issue...

This is where I have an issue with people dismissing it as nothing to do with performance enhancement.

Player A goes out on the town and has half a dozen beers to get his buzz for the evening. Nothing stupid and barely what you'd call pissed.

Player B is with him and pops a pill to get around the same level of buzz.

One has taken a legal substance, yet has to work a lot harder to get back to the same level as he was before the night out than the player taking an illegal substance.

If it allows you a mental break + gives you a shortcut in your recovery, it's aiding your performance, even if indirectly.
Cocaine is definitely performance enhancing, just ask a truckie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back