Play Nice Sam Murray Under ASADA Investigation

Absolutely right. But alcohol in social environments does not cause the same issues with addiction and ODs that illicit drugs do. Much much worse.
Interested to see some stats on this is you have them

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Obviously all should be but we don't know unless they are caught or dobbed in.

The afl knows. Random testing and the 3 strikes may have resulted in dozens of players picked up. It’s just that under the AFL policy it’s not disclosed. The clubs aren’t even made aware.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, however, it’s a major issue and rampant in just the afl.

Avoiding a test just as Whitfield did, should have incurred the same penalty as Keefe and Thomas. Could never understand why it never did.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes my man, always up for chipping in for some baggies over here!

I get how it all works, still find it suss though.
He didn't say that all mate. He said it doesn't matter if the club knew or not, and he's right.

Imagine losing a grand final where it's later found five members of the opposite team had all taken "recreational but also performance enhancing drugs" before a game. Club didn't know, so no penalties apply. Sounds s**t.
So you think the club should be punished because a player did coke? Lol.

Kavliaris69

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2011
"A Little Left of Heaven"
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The afl knows. Random testing and the 3 strikes may have resulted in dozens of players picked up. It’s just that under the AFL policy it’s not disclosed. The clubs aren’t even made aware.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, however, it’s a major issue and rampant in just the afl.

Avoiding a test just as Whitfield did, should have incurred the same penalty as Keefe and Thomas. Could never understand why it never did.
It is I agree rampant from all reports. I just can't understand why the clubs aren't informed. The AFL and AFLPA need to make a stance.

The clubs need to do their own testing I reckon. There are lots of issues but needs to be taken care of swiftly. A no tolerance policy would make players think twice about continuing.

I would luv it if all players were clean. It would do so much good for this competition because we can all agree it is the best spectacle in this country.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
you are the ignorant one. Go away if u can't have a discussion.
I am up for a discussion.
Tell me why someone who has been caught once with coke in his system should be banned from sport for life?
Does this also mean in other facets of life where people are caught with drugs they are banned from there regular employment ??
What do all these people do, they are banned from employment??
Makes no sense and is utter stupidity to have a lifetime ban.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Interested to see some stats on this is you have them

Go to a website called AODstats.

Interactive mapping allows you to whistle up the numbers for the different categories of Alcohol, illicit drug and pharma drug related harm for Victoria and down to individual Local Government Areas as well.

Crime, violence, hospitalisations and more. Quite instructive reading

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Tell me why someone who has been caught once with coke in his system should be banned from sport for life?
Does this also mean in other facets of life where people are caught with drugs they are banned from there regular employment ??
What do all these people do, they are banned from employment??
Makes no sense and is utter stupidity to have a lifetime ban.

There are in fact many jobs where that is exactly what happens.

Anything Government requiring a high level security clearance, for a start. One offence involving illicit drugs and the security clearance gets pulled. Which almost always results in dismissal.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The number of players that have been caught now are huge. Not the ones that are rumours but the ones caught or made admissions. Swan, Keefe, Thomas, Murray, Libba, Stokes, Michael Johnston, Cousins, Kerr, Chick, Fletcher, Angwin, Karl Norman, Whitfield etc. These guys know they could get tested but run the gauntlet anyway. Suggests to me there must be a huge amount taking the same risks and getting away with it.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
So you think the club should be punished because a player did coke? Lol.
I said the club should be punished because a player did performance enhancing drugs on game day.

Coke's fine, do heaps of it, just make sure you're not racking up lines at half time for a bit of extra pep :thumbsu:

Facts are: Collingwood have been s**t-house for six years. All of a sudden they make finals... and a player gets busted for PEDS. Coincidence? Nah.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Anything Government requiring a high level security clearance, for a start.
Don't think the security level matters actually, I've got a few mates who have random drug testing and they're basically office workers.

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I said the club should be punished because a player did performance enhancing drugs on game day.

Coke's fine, do heaps of it, just make sure you're not racking up lines at half time for a bit of extra pep :thumbsu:

Facts are: Collingwood have been s**t-house for six years. All of a sudden they make finals... and a player gets busted for PEDS. Coincidence? Nah.
Who got busted for PEDs?

Go to a website called AODstats.

Interactive mapping allows you to whistle up the numbers for the different categories of Alcohol, illicit drug and pharma drug related harm for Victoria and down to individual Local Government Areas as well.

Crime, violence, hospitalisations and more. Quite instructive reading
Thanks for that. In 2014/15 there were 32,130 alcohol-related hospital 'presentations' in Victoria, compared with 14,792 for 'illicits (any). Kavliaris69 you were talking about something slightly different but this suggests you might be wrong

Kavliaris69

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2011
"A Little Left of Heaven"
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thanks for that. In 2014/15 there were 32,130 alcohol-related hospital 'presentations' in Victoria, compared with 14,792 for 'illicits (any). Kavliaris69 you were talking about something slightly different but this suggests you might be wrong
The stats are misleading. What it doesn't tell you is how many lives and families are ruined with drugs. Or the criminal activity it causes.
Appreciate you putting up the info. The numbers didn't surprise me. Cheers.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think the security level matters actually, I've got a few mates who have random drug testing and they're basically office workers.

I'm somewhat out of touch these days.

More years ago than I care to remember I was a Navy Navigating Officer. For us at that time (dunno about now) even blowing over .05 was automatic dismissal. Lower ranks sometimes were given the opportunity to beg for one chance (rarely given).

Mining is another one with zero tolerance in most companies. Fail one piss test and you can go looking for another line of work.

I'm somewhat out of touch these days.

More years ago than I care to remember I was a Navy Navigating Officer. For us at that time (dunno about now) even blowing over .05 was automatic dismissal. Lower ranks sometimes were given the opportunity to beg for one chance (rarely given).

Mining is another one with zero tolerance in most companies. Fail one piss test and you can go looking for another line of work.
Nursing too. If you do anything that could bring your character into question you can lose your registration.

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants

Because he did not test positive. There was no test to avoid

Raymann

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GWS Giants
He was supposed to be tested. He disappeared. That’s why he was banned and Gubby Allan suspended for a year for his role in assisting Whitfield.

Or did that not happen?
No you need to check your facts. Read the AFL release read asada release. Don’t believe the hun

Cyclops

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
Murray's an idiot for using coke, and even more of an idiot for getting caught. I think if he was more important they might have tried to hush it up (like the AFL did for years with Bomber Thompson at Geelong), but since the sordid Essendon business ASADA might have actually tightened up, maybe they wouldn't get away with it these days.

No you need to check your facts. Read the AFL release read asada release. Don’t believe the hun
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-24/decision-imminent-on-gws-penalties-over-whitfield-affair

"...an incident last year where Allan and Lambert arranged for Whitfield to stay at Lambert's house in order to avoid the possibility of a drug test out of fear he may fail it."

BPikkers is spot on, not sure where you pulled your version of events from. Whitfield took drugs, and then failed to present for a possible test because of "personal issues" which were made up.

Back