Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Hyakutake

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why did the AFL break the story and then delete it from their website 5 minutes later?

Because they forgot momentarily (or more correctly, whoever was responsible for content on the website forgot momentarily) that they were both running a website pedalling news for clicks to benefit sponsors, and a sporting competition, and sometimes the two requirements are in conflict. Presumably someone in ASADA reminded them of their obligations. Never attribute to conspiracy what can be put down to mere incompetence. Surely we have seen enough evidence to suggest the AFL couldn't organise their way out of a wet paper bag with the aid of a chainsaw, let along a decent conspiracy. Some eager beaver in their web content section is probably having their leaving do as we speak.

The Murray story was initially first reported on the AFL website before being taken down for a period and McLachlan explained why that action was taken.

“It’s not a mistake, there’s independent journalists [at AFL Media],” McLachlan said.

“We weren’t aware of it clearly when it went up and the editorial team made that decision.

“It was taken down for a while ... my head of legal rang me early doors, and I said ring the head of the thing, and they pulled it down and changed the wording to satisfy the lawyers.

“But that’s what happens when you hire independent journalists.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-of-murray-investigation-20180824-p4zzjt.html
I don’t believe a word that slime ball says.

Since when did this become a rule?
Cocaine as a stimulant on matchday would have been on the WADA list from day dot. This is not new. It was never a PED out of competition

AFL bought in the stupid illicit drug policy so thats where cocaine fits out of competition. WADA has no interest in that.

So I’m assuming the West Coast premiership in 2006 is currently under investigation. Surely they still have the blood samples.
They never had blood samples

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not talking about players testing positive on GameDay. I’m speaking generally.

The AFL knows about the big name players who do recreational drugs. They knew about Swanny, they know about Franklin, they knew about Cousins.

But when it’s the big names, it’s always kept under wraps. I find it unfair for players like Travis Tuck and Murray and Keefe and Thomas.
Keefe and Thomas tested positive to a steroid, Tuck had 3 strikes iirc and Murray tested positive on game day.

Cocaine as a stimulant on matchday would have been on the WADA list from day dot. This is not new. It was never a PED out of competition

AFL bought in the stupid illicit drug policy so thats where cocaine fits out of competition. WADA has no interest in that.
What if he took it 2 days before?

So how is that performance enhancing?
As a stimulant, potentially allows you to push harder. WCE flag is irrelevent as there were no positive drug tests involved

It’s also public record that Brisbane gave their players blood transfusions during games. Why aren’t they being investigated?
IV hydration I believe. Was allowable at the time. Blood doping is breaking the code. No suggestion this has ever been seen in the AFL. Lasse Viren however.

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because they forgot momentarily (or more correctly, whoever was responsible for content on the website forgot momentarily) that they were both running a website pedalling news for clicks to benefit sponsors, and a sporting competition, and sometimes the two requirements are in conflict. Presumably someone in ASADA reminded them of their obligations. Never attribute to conspiracy what can be put down to mere incompetence. Surely we have seen enough evidence to suggest the AFL couldn't organise their way out of a wet paper bag with the aid of a chainsaw, let along a decent conspiracy. Some eager beaver in their web content section is probably having their leaving do as we speak.
That would be a no. Afl media is a separately run organisation. They published it then the afl Counsel requested it be withdrawn and amended to insert Barrett’s name.

Not excusing Sam, and many will dismiss the comparison - but if clubs like Hawthorn can have their captain done for drink driving in the finals, brush it off and still win the flag...then we’ll keep going and push as far into September as we can.

Sorry Jmac it doesn't matter if you don't agree.

It's clear as ****, if you get caught with illicit drugs in your system on gameday, you're rooted.

See above.
Not illicit drugs but drugs that are on the proscribed list of ASADA. Stimulants like cocaine fall into that list as PEDs not illicit.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
That would be a no. Afl media is a separately run organisation. They published it then the afl Counsel requested it be withdrawn and amended to insert Barrett’s name.

Such a logical answer the questions....the lawyers wanted some minor changes around attributing the source of the story. It was back up in no time.

Nobody wants to accept that explanation though................ "who would believe Gil" etc

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really?

You don’t prefer that this whole sorry mess had never happened in the first place?
If course I prefer that none of our players get exposed as druggies.
But as the majority of the posters here want Murray banished from the club for taking a simple recreational drug, I’m more than happy that this reinforces my view that those CONVICTED of consuming performance enhancing drugs should have never been welcomed back.
A lot of those posters have been in support of the performance enhancing druggies return.
Now they’ve flipped.
Popcorn time.

But as the majority of the posters here want Murray banished from the club for taking a simple recreational drug, I’m more than happy that this reinforces my view that those CONVICTED of consuming performance enhancing drugs should have never been welcomed back.
A lot of those posters have been in support of the performance enhancing druggies return.
Now they’ve flipped.
Popcorn time.
Enjoy your pop corn. Personally I prefer an IPA

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now they’ve flipped.
Popcorn time.

Its a case by case basis. The club simply wont have room on its list to carry Murray for 2-4 years.

Different issue. The drug in their system was only considered a PED, there was only one possible scheme under which they could be punished. This drug is governed by a different policy except when taken on gameday, so the argument would be under which policy he should be judged.

Not really.

I doubt ASADA/WADA would care at all when the substance entered the system ... otherwise atheletes could legally take gameday PED’s using a slow / delayed release system.

They’d simply care about whether the substance is in his system on gameday (thus under the influence of it on gameday).

I reckon Murray’s only recourse is the B Sample (depends how much of the substance was detected, and whether he genuinely believes that the A sample could have been doctored). Otherwise it’s a 4 year ban and he gets delisted.

Last edited:
Back