Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Played really well, again.

Interesting for a player of his type/position his kick-to-handball ratio.

7 kicks, 16 handballs - you would think on face value that would be the other way around, would like him to get that much closer to 50/50 as he is quite a nice user.

First game where it hasn't been >50%. Shows he can adapt.

If he’s this good - and the Swans knew it, as judged by us having to give up a second rounder - how come they weren’t playing him?

Maybe they thought Rampe was better.

I always s thought we'd paid too much for Murray but on evidence YTD I'm actually very happy with this trade. I was wrong, Deka was right. If we'd brought any other player in on this deal we'd be extatic YTD. Can't believe a few are so crusty about the deal that they can't acknowledge they were wrong.

Last edited:

If he’s this good - and the Swans knew it, as judged by us having to give up a second rounder - how come they weren’t playing him?
Combination. The Swans probably thought he was reasonable insurance as a half back, and didn’t want to accept anything short of a good deal for him after pumping two years of development into him, especially since he’d only really had one year at half back. They took the maximum price available for him and probably rated him in line with an early third round prospect or so next year once considering development pumped into him etc. I don’t think they rated him as highly as Collingwood and that’s obvious from the fact that we paid the price they asked for.

We've been handball-mad in the past, in a much more panicky sort of way. But the use last night was more about breaking lines, it was a pleasure to watch.

This is the nub of it, and I hope we have turned the corner. Its all very well to be embracing the super quick handballing game, but if the handball chain consistently breaks down - after 3, 4 or 5 handballs as it has in the past - then its back to no-man's land.

Sam Murray.

As soon as the deal happened i remember reading on here and i thought it was absolutely disgusting some of the things said about him and the club and i said to a close mate of mine right at that moment if he turns out to show something good i will be roasting my fellow supporters, i apologise but i am a man of my word ;)

I went back and had a look and i wont name names but here are some of the things that were said:

''LOL WE GIVE UP A 2ND ROUND PICK FOR A ****** ROOKIE GET *****''

''This club is ******''

''What the hell? Seriously? A 2nd rounder in next years deep draft. Do we ever actually do well in a trade? i am surprised teams are not lining up to ream us every October''

''This is worse than the Mayne acquisition. Collingwood, you f**** r****!!!!!''

''Thank *** Hine won't be list manager next year. That's the ****** worst deal we could have possibly made. Future second for a future 3rd, junk pick and a rookie that's never played a senior game> ******
**''

''we gave up our future 2nd round... **** ME we are incompetent''

Anyway you guys get it.

Well let me say the deal ended up working out we gave up roughly pick 37 i think it was, if we drafted a player at pick 37 and he showed anything like Murray is showing we would be absolutely wetting ourselves.

So far this season for Murray:

ROUND 1- 19 disposals and 314 metres gained
ROUND 2- 20 disposals and 511 metres gained
ROUND 3- 21 disposals and 362 metres gained (Rising star NOM)
ROUND 4- 23 disposals and 283 metres gained

To be quite honest i would just about pay a first round for what we have seen so far, he is only 20 as well so plenty to come. He is exactly what we need at Collingwood and we haven't seen his type since Harry O'Brien in his prime. Takes the game on, breaks the lines, opens the game up and is lightning quick. To be honest i didn't get the fuss over it anyway, it was a 2nd round pick with a 3rd round back, again as they worked it out roughly pick 37. Some of the comments i read if you did not know any better we gave up pick 1 for him.

To end the post i just want to say as the thread title suggests - Do NOT judge a book by the cover, have a little patience, do not attack the club/player when you haven't even seen this player play, give him a chance next time, because i highly doubt there is 1 person who regrets this deal now, i went over to the Sydney board last week and they definitely wished they still had him.

Peace ;) Go Pies!

I think that was me in the bolded! :D

Wasn't a knock on him but at the time thought we got bent over at the trade table in a strong 2018 draft, and partly most have felt that Hine has lost his edge.

And i tell ya what, never been so happy to consume humble pie, it's freaking delicious.. much like Sam.

He's the type of player that puts asses in seats, I and others felt we should have had a red hot crack at Adam Saad which i would have parted with a 2nd round pick for, we have potentially a far better player than Saad.

He and Stephenson have the pace we so desperately required.

Stoked.

Wasn't a knock on him but at the time thought we got bent over at the trade table in a strong 2018 draft, and partly most have felt that Hine has lost his edge.

And i tell ya what, never been so happy to consume humble pie, it's freaking delicious.. much like Sam.

He's the type of player that puts asses in seats, I and others felt we should have had a red hot crack at Adam Saad which i would have parted with a 2nd round pick for, we have potentially a far better player than Saad.

Stoked.
At least you are happy to admit when you're wrong mate! Props to you for that, but you are spot on with everything you said!

Last one ;)
Im sorry but the way people were attacking the club and this kid before they even saw him didn't sit well with me. So I'm calling them out.
Fair enough.
But you’ve got to accept that at Collingwood, we expect big names, proven names, or high draft picks with the bonus of higher ranked players slipping down to us.
To recruit, and pay a potential high future price, for a rookie listed player with no real exposure to the highest level, is it any wonder that it generates pages and pages of discussion?
Murray looks like the recruiters have got it right. But that certainly was not the impression even highly paid commentators gave on the day.
This is a discussion forum. You don’t have to like the views expressed, I don’t on a lot of issues, but no need to try and shame people for those views as to not have a view, or the right to express them, is the worst thing ever.

At least you are happy to admit when you're wrong mate! Props to you for that, but you are spot on with everything you said!

Might be a Few of Us need to Say he Started better then we Expected. Hope he Keeps it Up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always s thought we'd paid too much for Murray but on evidence YTD I'm actually very happy with this trade. I was wrong, Deka was right. If we'd brought any other player in on this deal we'd be extatic YTD. Can't believe a few are so crusty about the deal that they can't acknowledge they were wrong.

These were my posts from back then in this very thread.

If this Murray has been recruited as a small defender then I’m ok with this. We seem to have paid a lot though.

Hine is really bad at this. I can see why we got Ned Guy to take over.

Yeah. My number one concern is his ability to shut down his opponent. If he can do that and combine what we see in his highlights then we have a winrar.

I was fine with him as a player based on his highlight reel and I really liked that we were addressing a direct need. My only issue was obviously the price we paid given we all knew nothing about him. Based on the first 4 rounds it seems we did ok so far.

These were my posts from back then in this very thread.

I was fine with him as a player based on his highlight reel and I really liked that we were addressing a direct need. My only issue was obviously the price we paid given we all knew nothing about him. Based on the first 4 rounds it seems we did ok so far.

Same, always thought the value of the trade would be dictated by what he delivered.

I understand the thinking that involving our 2nd pick in a strong draft was perhaps overs for a player on another teams rookie list.
Even when getting their 3rd pick back. Hine spoke of the swap kind of being irrelevant to us next year because of academy & father son selections.
This is the part I don't understand 100%. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this? Were we not going to be able to keep our 2nd pick anyway?
Is that what he was on about? Just a bit confused on the whole bidding system to be honest. Perhaps only after the October draft can we get a proper handle on what the trade cost us? Anybody?

I understand the thinking that involving our 2nd pick in a strong draft was perhaps overs for a player on another teams rookie list.
Even when getting their 3rd pick back. Hine spoke of the swap kind of being irrelevant to us next year because of academy & father son selections.
This is the part I don't understand 100%. Can anyone explain the thinking behind this? Were we not going to be able to keep our 2nd pick anyway?
Is that what he was on about? Just a bit confused on the whole bidding system to be honest. Perhaps only after the October draft can we get a proper handle on what the trade cost us? Anybody?

I think he was just being hopeful that bids don't come for our F/S or academy types before what was our 2nd round. It's a strong draft early and there are lots of F/S and academy players on club radars so it may well play out that way. If the bids come after what was our 2nd round then with the discounts the 3rd round picks should adequately cover them.

Stoked.

Not sure if I was quoted, but I wasn't happy at the time. ( with the deal )
I was never against getting him, just the price paid.
At the time, fringe players were trading for next to nought, and then suddenly we stump up a 2nd rounder in a strong draft.

I'm elated that I was 100% wrong about Sam. He has restored some faith in our recruiting department, and added much needed zip to our defence.

I think Crisp was actually on Lynch, could be wrong

Yeah he was. Not sure why people are saying otherwise.
As for the uproar when the trade was made public.... Marley Williams was traded for pick 100+ and we down graded 20+ spots in a super draft for a rookie. Regardless of how good he is (which he is very good), the trade was still sh*t.

As for the uproar when the trade was made public.... Marley Williams was traded for pick 100+ and we down graded 20+ spots in a super draft for a rookie. Regardless of how good he is (which he is very good), the trade was still sh*t.
Trades are judged in hindsight.

Ding ding ding. The negotiations and subsequent trade were, and still remain, a steaming pile of s**t. The high end talent ID is what has taken it from a kick in the teeth to a breakeven.

The best way to consider it is akin to one of our mids getting a heap of the ball and hitting the scoreboard, but in doing so being horrible defensively. Yes you acknowledge the positive of their offensive work, but that doesn’t absolve their poor work defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back