Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

They started putting time into him after what round 3ish the run has dried up considerably thankfully so far he has been pretty good defensively so imo still in best 22.

Teams are using quicks to run with him making it hard for him to get space. Need his team mates to start helping with small blocks etc.

Agreed - a lot of the chicken little types on this thread seem to forget that opposition analysts are putting thought into nullifying Murray. And that's a compliment in itself. It's now up to Longmuir etc to work out how to "release" Murray or get one of the other defenders to step up and take responsibility for the run out of the back 50

Etihad for Saints and Bulldogs games the next 2 weeks. Reckon he will go well on this ground and will see more of his run on display.

As a left footer, this really annoys me. You talk like there a bunch of right footers that have a left foot. Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Selwood, Zorko, Shuey, Gibbs, Cripps, Ablett, Parker, Kennedy, Cunnington, Ward, Steven, N Jones and there a bunch more of the best midfielders in the comp that never use their left and always swing back to their right. When do u complain about that?
More than 3/4 of the group you just named are very, very capable on the opposite foot.

lol.

Sick of the uneducated on here not understanding the correlation between disposal, decision making and the execution of how we want to play.
They all link in together, more time and space equals more and easier options, this flows down to less difficult decisions when linking up, thus you hit more targets and your disposal looks a heap better.

Probably suffering a bit from not having Maynard or Langdon there, instead has Appleby who is equally young. Probably feels he has to do too much and be the one responsible for ball movement.

Maybe we should consider throwing Varcoe back a bit to assist, or even Wells.

Pretty standard for a first year kid to slow up a bit after 2 months. He's had a few years in the system, so I wouldn't be resting him. Keep pumping games into him. He has been one of the real success stories so far this year.

Made a few errors, but was far from our best player.
Can remember a couple of massive defensive efforts.
Not sure who is direct opponent was, but i don't remember him getting beat 1v1.

Pretty standard for a first year kid to slow up a bit after 2 months. He's had a few years in the system, so I wouldn't be resting him. Keep pumping games into him. He has been one of the real success stories so far this year.
Yes, absolutely.

Agreed - a lot of the chicken little types on this thread seem to forget that opposition analysts are putting thought into nullifying Murray. And that's a compliment in itself. It's now up to Longmuir etc to work out how to "release" Murray or get one of the other defenders to step up and take responsibility for the run out of the back 50
Problem is that the opposition analysts seem to have countered Murray rather too easily. There wasn't one run out of him on Sunday and his kicking was generally awful even when not under pressure. Longmuir has a lot of work ahead of him.

Played a handful of games.
Gets the ball.
But he’s a baby in afl terms.

It’s like people see him as a fully fledged mature player.

Been a good start to his career. Opposition will prepare against him.
Far far far better than the pre ious, Sinclair, Ramsay types.

But let’s not think of him as AA. That’s too high an expectation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team work makes the dream work. If we didnt have constant injuries to our back six like we have in recent weeks. Then Murray would be performing better.

You could see In the earlier rounds our players were looking for him and trying to get him out and running
As someone pointed out , we now have appleby in the back six which mounts more pressure on Murray and the cohesion isn’t there like it was.

Do not care in the slightest if he gets caught occasionally. He should never lose that will to break lines.

Problem is that the opposition analysts seem to have countered Murray rather too easily. There wasn't one run out of him on Sunday and his kicking was generally awful even when not under pressure. Longmuir has a lot of work ahead of him.

That's because we haven't got a counter-strategy. Murray is simply following instructions but if opposing sides have found a way of nullifying him then Longmuir needs to find a solution. It's then up to Murray to execute.

I remember the same thing happened to Heater (he got tagged) and Heritier (sides played through his opponent to make him accountable). We've done the same thing to opposing defenders.

expected slump in form as opposition teams have/will put work into him . He will just have to work hard to now overcome this . his right foot kick would be less of a concern if he didn't position his body while running/making a play in a way so obvious that he is getting back to his left side.

expected slump in form as opposition teams have/will put work into him . He will just have to work hard to now overcome this . his right foot kick would be less of a concern if he didn't position his body while running/making a play in a way so obvious that he is getting back to his left side.
Needs to work with Pendles on this....a fellow left footer who is very deft with the baulk, side step and basically making everyone else look slow and crap.

Cause of our fixture and his youth at this level... one of several players that will benefit from the rest the bye gives, when we have it.

If we had more depth in that position and a smaller injury list, I'd probably give him this week off.

Last edited:
**** me dead. Let’s put s**t on an 8th gamer for trying to break some lines and get things happening for his side. :rolleyes:

With a bit of maturity the kid will be a genuine gun. For now he just needs to steady on his kicks and the development will come naturally. If in a couple of years time he’s still turning it over (like Maynard and Langdon do every game they play) I’ll be happy to eat my words.

Some harsh judges in here, that’s for sure.

Yeah, gun might be a bit strong at this stage but he's shown he's got the tools to develop. Time will tell just how good he can become.

Etihad for Saints and Bulldogs games the next 2 weeks. Reckon he will go well on this ground and will see more of his run on display.

Dont think its the ground he will relish, more the opposition.

Needs to turn it around pretty soon, although I think Buckley will give him plenty of chances. When Maynard returns somebody has to make way and at the moment it will be Appleby...Murray does not want to be in the firing line. Probably just needs to go back to basics of defending his opponent and not feel he has to take the game on every single time he gets the ball. But not lose all his flair!!!

**** me dead. Let’s put s**t on an 8th gamer for trying to break some lines and get things happening for his side. :rolleyes:

With a bit of maturity the kid will be a genuine gun. For now he just needs to steady on his kicks and the development will come naturally. If in a couple of years time he’s still turning it over (like Maynard and Langdon do every game they play) I’ll be happy to eat my words.

Some harsh judges in here, that’s for sure.
'Will be a genuine gun'.

That's as bad as the 'harsh judges' - I admitting to being one when it comes to Sam.

Very, very loose use of the term 'gun'.

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Martin, Selwood, Zorko, Shuey, Gibbs, Cripps, Ablett, Parker, Kennedy, Cunnington, Ward, Steven, N Jones

You reckon these blokes aren't more than competent on their opposite side, are you serious?

You need to watch more football. Thats an embarrassing post.

None of which detracts from his point that there are some very highly rated players who are very 1 sided. They work it out. It's not ideal, but it's hardly a new phenomenon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back