Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's become a bit like Harry; (predictably) will play on every time.
Players corale him now.
Needs to learn to decide when to go and when to slow.
He'll work it out in time.

The problem with playing someone that has the ability to break lines as their greatest asset up forward is that they literally don't have the lines to break a lot of the time.

Murray has half back written all over him, but his problem currently is that he has suffered from a bit of a Lumumba-esque penchant to just run for the sake of it and then often put himself under pressure on the resulting kick (or run himself out of options).

It was clear when he was dropped that teams had started putting some work into him to cut out his ability to break lines and push him across ground and he didn't appear to handle that well.

He definitely has a weapon in terms of his leg speed and his kicking technique is pretty good, it's what is going on above the shoulders that needs some work - as you would expect from a 20 year old kid with limited junior development and maybe 30-35 games of experience in his current role at an "elite" level, between his NEAFL / VFL and AFL games down back.

There's no need to start experimenting with him at this point out of some silly desire to get him back in the AFL side just because - he just needs time to develop his craft as a hard running half back who can break the lines and that is going to take time.

I'm perfectly happy for him to stay down at VFL level for as long as it takes - there's no hurry to get him back into the AFL side just because some supporters are enamoured with his leg speed.

Last edited:
The problem with playing someone that has the ability to break lines as their greatest asset up forward is that they literally don't have the lines to break a lot of the time.

Murray has half back written all over him, but his problem currently is that he has suffered from a bit of a Lumumba-esque penchant to just run for the sake of it and then often put himself under pressure on the resulting kick (or run himself out of options).

It was clear when he was dropped that teams had started putting some work into him to cut out his ability to break lines and push him across ground and he didn't appear to hand that well.

He definitely has a weapon in terms of his leg speed and his kicking technique is pretty good, it's what is going on above the shoulders that needs some work - as you would expect from a 20 year old kid with limited junior development and maybe 30-35 games of experience in his current role at an "elite" level, between his NEAFL / VFL and AFL games down back.

There's no need to start experimenting with him at this point out of some silly desire to get him back in the AFL side just because - he just needs time to develop his craft as a hard running half back who can break the lines and that is going to take time.

I'm perfectly happy for him to stay down at VFL level for as long as it takes - there's no hurry to get him back into the AFL side just because some supporters are enamoured with his leg speed.
Good post. He just needs time to develop. Spot on. He will be a good player for us but theres no need to be impatient while we are winning.

He's shown why we wanted him and why Swans didn't play him and traded him. He can run and carry which we badly needed last year but his decision making and kicking let him down. Clubs got a look at him early and put a little bit of work into him which curtailed his impact. Now it's up to him to find more and the VFL is the right place for him to do that.

For mine we are 2 or 3 difference makers away from challenging Richmond and by extension winning the premiership.

At present out of those currently sidelined or playing VFL I only see Elliott and possibly Moore and Murray in that category to help bridge the gap.

With Wells out we have a vacancy and personally I'm not at all keen on a 22 containing both Mayne and Crocker as they're to similar in style and 1 is enough IMO.

Blair is a big hell no.

So what will we do?

Bring in Murray or Appleby and place Greenwood forward?

Give Sier or Wills an opportunity that will allow other midfielders more forward time?

For mine we are 2 or 3 difference makers away from challenging Richmond and by extension winning the premiership.

At present out of those currently sidelined or playing VFL I only see Elliott and possibly Moore and Murray in that category to help bridge the gap.

With Wells out we have a vacancy and personally I'm not at all keen on a 22 containing both Mayne and Crocker as they're to similar in style and 1 is enough IMO.

Blair is a big hell no.

So what will we do?

Bring in Murray or Appleby and place Greenwood forward?

Give Sier or Wills an opportunity that will allow other midfielders more forward time?

I'd argue that we already have more difference makers than Richmond. We're genuine contenders.

Happy to never say never about playing people in different positions.

Happy to not use the cliche of "he was almost delisted last time he played there".

Happy to trial Murray forward.

BUT:

He should be trialled forward in the VFL. We have kicked 40 goals in the past two weeks in the seniors...........why would we stuff around with that?

Other than the fact the injury to Wells does mean we have to make a change to the F50 structure you mean.

Other than the fact the injury to Wells does mean we have to make a change to the F50 structure you mean.

Wells was not reason for our forward success in the past two weeks. Not even close. In fact many wanted him dropped after the Fremantle game. Experimenting with Murray as a forward this week is just a ridiculous concept.

Just give Daicos/Treloar/Sidebottom/Pendlebury/Greenwood more time forward and bring in Sier or Wills to play midfield. We've been without Wells all year so covering his loss is hardly an issue.

He's become a bit like Harry; (predictably) will play on every time.
Players corale him now.
Needs to learn to decide when to go and when to slow.
He'll work it out in time.
I think he needs to be more like H tbh, just keep it simple run as far as you can and kick it as long as can. His turnovers come when he tries to hit finese a short target.

Wells was not reason for our forward success in the past two weeks. Not even close. In fact many wanted him dropped after the Fremantle game. Experimenting with Murray as a forward this week is just a ridiculous concept.

Just give Daicos/Treloar/Sidebottom/Pendlebury/Greenwood more time forward and bring in Sier or Wills to play midfield. We've been without Wells all year so covering his loss is hardly an issue.

Just a simple, "yes, we'll have to change the forward structure" would suffice.

Greenwood has shown he can only be a solid but unspectacular forward. Since our midfield is so strong I'm guessing that's why they are playing him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was clear when he was dropped that teams had started putting some work into him to cut out his ability to break lines and push him across ground and he didn't appear to handle that well.

Yet this is exactly what he did in the NEAFL.

At that level he barely got away with it for 2/3rds to half a season.

I wasn't convinced when we got him & certainly wasn't convinced with the price we paid.

Even at VFL level he is completely mentally at sea. Gets the ball and doesn't know what to do, just randomly starts sprinting forward then kicks without looking. Really needs our backline coach to get him into a better mental state
Maybe he’s just locked into the mindset of not wanting to dish it off until the perfect option opens up? Which in reality will barely ever occur. I dunno, but I’m far from concerned at this stage, our defenders always seem to be the quickest to develop of the bunch so we must do something alright back there in development.

With the $wans struggling a little with a tough draw to come, it is possible they could miss the 8.
With the Pies going well, the exchange of future picks may not look too bad by seasons end.

May only be a 10 or 12 pick downgrade.
What we actually end up paying doesn’t matter.

A few posters decided we paid overs, without even knowing what we were giving up, and they can’t be questioned because they think we should got got him for peanuts....the fact we didn’t shows how inept we are.:rolleyes:

With the $wans struggling a little with a tough draw to come, it is possible they could miss the 8.
With the Pies going well, the exchange of future picks may not look too bad by seasons end.

May only be a 10 or 12 pick downgrade.

The price watch on the trade embarresed many on here

Real funny the reaction not

To carry on like the bozos in the media when a supporter is frankly ludicrous

Only a fool didn't see us improving ( point out those fools were very happy he was dropped and some still carry on)

A bigger fool wouldn't see the swans dropping right off

At this pointt he's costing around the same as Tyler brown

PERSPECTIVE

GREAT RECRUITING

Our recruiter just might know what he's doing

He gets back into a the seniors and they're back at it again. Would have thought they'd learn their lesson after blowing their load early:rolleyes:

What we actually end up paying doesn’t matter.

A few posters decided we paid overs, without even knowing what we were giving up, and they can’t be questioned because they think we should got got him for peanuts....the fact we didn’t shows how inept we are.:rolleyes:

Its reaching fetish proportions. Wet their pants over every errant disposal as happened years ago with Adams, barracking for failure. Well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back