Sam Newman "probably" retiring

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL! Vast majority!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_consensus_effect

In psychology, the false-consensus effect or false-consensus bias is an attributional type of cognitive bias whereby people tend to overestimate the extent to which their opinions, beliefs, preferences, values, and habits are normal and typical of those of others (i.e., that others also think the same way that they do).[1] This cognitive bias tends to lead to the perception of a consensus that does not exist, a "false consensus".

I think you'd be surprised by the survey results on these issues... one conducted by the Australian Population Research Institute showed over half the sample wanted a "muslim ban".

I don't agree with that opinion, but I think most people don't truly recognise where the political views in this country are.

Please elucidate? What are these other shows? A show doesn't last 25 years if it's s**t. I like alternative things, i'm genuinely interested to discover what these insightful and above all truthful shows are?

a comprehensive list of AFL shows that are better than the footy show:

• AFL 360
  • On the couch
  • Open mike
  • Bob
  • AFL Gameday
  • Before the Game
  • Before the Bounce
  • The Bounce
  • Beyond the Boundary
  • Classic Quarers
  • The Business End
  • Footy Classified
  • and many more!

I don't watch the show for Andy Maher, he's just the fall guy for Mick and Sam's jokes but they all work well together.

One of the problems with The Footy Show and all the recent changes is that there is very little chemistry between the people on it and hence very little humour.

It just seems very forced and stale now which is why they are getting hammered in the ratings by The Front Bar.
Agree, but jeez after 25yrs something had to give. Hopefully Ch9 comes up with a new format/faces to reboot its audience.
I wonder what The Front Bar would be like after25yrs.

I think you'd be surprised by the survey results on these issues... one conducted by the Australian Population Research Institute showed over half the sample wanted a "muslim ban".

I don't agree with that opinion, but I think most people don't truly recognise where the political views in this country are.
I had a look and I can't see that? I might not have read it closely enough:

If TAPRI’s and Scanlon’s findings when using panel methodology are reliable they have great political significance. The TAPRI report found that 57 per cent of Liberal voters and 46 per cent of Labor voters thought that the immigration intake should be reduced.

Forty-eight per cent supported a partial ban on Muslim immigration to Australia, with only 25 per cent in opposition to such a ban.

Fancy that, WCE supporters trying to tell the rest of us how superior they are. €€€€ing... Can't escape it no matter what thread I'm in.

If Street Talk was generally consensual then I'll definitely miss it. Was a bright light amongst the mehness of the rest of the show most weeks.

I had a look and I can't see that? I might not have read it closely enough:

If TAPRI’s and Scanlon’s findings when using panel methodology are reliable they have great political significance. The TAPRI report found that 57 per cent of Liberal voters and 46 per cent of Labor voters thought that the immigration intake should be reduced.

Forty-eight per cent supported a partial ban on Muslim immigration to Australia, with only 25 per cent in opposition to such a ban.

well the media wouldn't lie to me, would they?

daban.png

as a general rule we assume these opinions to be far more fringe than they actually are

Reading all the melts from limp-wristed posters about a 72 year old bloke on his way out reminded me that I don't mind Sam Newman even though I haven't watched The Footy Show in years.

Sounds like the show is finally going to be taken behind the back shed and put a bullet in. It's been a long time coming. Show was no good after Marmalade left. I've been saying for a while, they needed to go on a hiatus and come back with a different cast. Eddie coming back was a farce, recruiting Bec was a farce. But I think it might be too late to put it on ice for a few years. Just gotta hope some time in the near future they actually get a decent crop of ex footy players/people who know what they're talking about to make a new show.

well the media wouldn't lie to me, would they?

daban.png

as a general rule we assume these opinions to be far more fringe than they actually are
That's still less than 50% so it isn't the "vast majority" which is pretty good giving the barrage of Islamophobia in the media over the last 18 years. (Twenty years ago Pauline didn't even talk about Muslims, it was all "Asians" then). But just because a large minority of Australians have been induced to favour a return to a version of the White Australia Policy doesn't make his joining in the chorus any more acceptable. It just makes him a band-wagoner as well as a racist. But the bigger picture is that, as the show's popularity declined, Newman's obnoxiousness, which was always in the background in the earlier shows (only coming to the surface on occasions), became his main act. He went from an occasionally funny self-caricature of an aging lotharian footballer who was incidentally a bit of a fossil politically to football's version of Andrew Bolt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's still less than 50% so it isn't the "vast majority" which is pretty good giving the barrage of Islamophobia in the media over the last 18 years. (Twenty years ago Pauline didn't even talk about Muslims, it was all "Asians" then). But just because a large minority of Australians have been induced to favour a return to a version of the White Australia Policy doesn't make his joining in the chorus any more acceptable. It just makes him a band-wagoner as well as a racist. But the bigger picture is that, as the show's popularity declined, Newman's obnoxiousness, which was always in the background in the earlier shows (only coming to the surface on occasions), became his main act. He went from an occasionally funny self-caricature of an aging lotharian footballer who was incidentally a bit of a fossil politically to football's version of Andrew Bolt.

I never said it was more acceptable, I said that we have this view that the only people who hold these views are this crazy fringe group, maybe 1% of the population, but that is objectively untrue.

Sam Newman is old, tired and probably went on for too long. I think that once he stopped really watching the game his commentary on it became somewhat infused with bitterness. At that point he largely became the comic relief on the show which worked well for a while but eventually became tired. In his prime though, he was compelling viewing. His knowledge of the game was excellent and he was never afraid to put across an unpopular opinion or ask the tough question.

Completely agree with this.

I reckon the show would have retained popularity and interest if Sam actually still watched the game and displayed greater insight. His fearless ability to ask the hard questions on current issues could be a major selling point.

But sadly he often just came across as an ignorant and bitter old bloke who didn't know what he was talking about. It did seem like he was feigning ignorance sometimes, like he thought it made him seem cool because he had better things to do with his time than watch footy. However like you say, this got old quickly.

I never minded the Footy Show, nor Sam Newman. I was in the audience one night where I received a rather embarrassing close up whilst laughing at a joke. That was back in the 1990s. The show was of its time. It was fresh, we got to see our teams for the first time, there was actual discussion on games, Eddie was always able to deliver some late breaking news and we were reminded that it had been a big week in footy.

However, as we ventured into the 21st century, social media began to encroach upon the show and we were able to keep up with teams, developments etc, long before the show went to air, so they had to fill air space with comedy, and with respect to those who did their best, the comedy really wasn't all that great. There's only so many times you could find Bill showing off his massive guts and going on about "frothies", or Sam fumbling through his mail bag amusing.

It was obvious by around 2005 that the show really needed to come up with something new, but they elected to retain the same format. That's about the time I switched off the show and very rarely ever watched since then. When I did, it was only for about half an hour or so. I would tune in for important events such as Crawf running and cycling for breast cancer.

As for Sam, he was often humorous in his own way, but I always felt cheated by him. An obviously well educated man, he elected to perform like a buffoon rather than provide in depth analysis of the game which passed him by years ago. He could have offered so much to the thinking football fan, but didn't. His call of course.

It became obvious he had little interest in the game, and yet he continued to make a handsome living from it. I remember the night they introduced Jarryd Roughead on the show. Roughie had been all the talk as #2 draft pick in one of the more publicised drafts in history. If you hadn't heard of Roughie, you were plain and simply not interested. When they introduced Roughie, Sam thought they were joking and took some convincing that Roughead was indeed the player's name, creating a very uncomfortable moment.

It was also around this time they began to sensationalise, and looked to see who they could upset to create headline news. I wanted footy news, not headlines about non-football issues, so that was it for me as a viewer. I've been amazed that the show has lasted as long as it has.

Last edited:

• AFL 360
  • On the couch
  • Open mike
  • Bob
  • AFL Gameday
  • Before the Game
  • Before the Bounce
  • The Bounce
  • Beyond the Boundary
  • Classic Quarers
  • The Business End
  • Footy Classified
  • and many more!

Really?

It's glorified muckraking perpetrated by some of the most questionable journalistic "talent" that this country has ever seen.

His eunuch analogy is spot on. This country is worse for it than most others in this regard.

The punters love having a dig at anybody who has the balls to put themselves out there (especially when they succeed).

Well Sam has spent 25 years doing the best snow and ***** money can buy, so winners are grinners, as they say.
It's actually not that difficult to be a successful loudmouth in Australia. Not that difficult at all.

But apparently people who don't like it or Sam are "limp-wristed" "eunuchs" - a category of person whose inability to throw a dart well or piss standing up makes us unreliable critics of light entertainment tv.

I don't have any issue with people not liking the show, or Sam for that matter. I do however believe that there are a lot of people lining up to take unnecessary and unfair potshots at him.

• AFL 360
  • On the couch
  • Open mike
  • Bob
  • AFL Gameday
  • Before the Game
  • Before the Bounce
  • The Bounce
  • Beyond the Boundary
  • Classic Quarers
  • The Business End
  • Footy Classified
  • and many more!

a comprehensive list of things that are objectively better than the footy show:

• A fart in an elevator
  • Getting kneed in the jatz
  • Choking on your own chunder
  • Choking on someone else's chunder
  • Andy Maher's laugh
  • Gangrene
  • A turd in a spa
  • Many turds in a spa
  • Robbo's breath at 3am on a Satdee morning
  • Skid marks on a bath towel
  • Being stuck next to Dwayne Russell on a plane to Perth, ohhh baby!
  • Walking into the dunny after David King's used it
  • and many more!

Last edited:
Who can ever forget his compassion for the less privileged on "Street Talk". Like kicking a bloke on the ground for fun! s**t bloke!
To be fair I’ve had a bit to do with some of the more notable Street Talk people and they openly love Sammy and the attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back