Sam Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

Belnakor Crawfs is ****ing awful talking about footy. Doesn't have a clue said:
Don't kid yourself, I agree he acts a idiot on TFS. But he's pretty good on MMM radio on Sunday Arvo's as special comments. I don't rekon they use him enough for serious comments on TFS.

Thats the important part. Wallace didn't answer anything of significance so I am not sure how people can say that it was a good interview.

Exactly. Sammy has done far better interviews than this one, it wasn`t his fault that Wallace squirmed his way out of most of the questions which was his prerogative I suppose. Wallace was paid a fair whack for this interview and basically said nothing.

Good interview from Sam's point of view because even though Wallace evaded the questions, Sam gave him plenty of opportunity to make it clear he was evading the questions. A good interviewer either gets the answers or leaves little doubt that the interviewee won't answer the question and basically confirms the answer by his evasion.

Good interview from Sam's point of view because even though Wallace evaded the questions, Sam gave him plenty of opportunity to make it clear he was evading the questions. A good interviewer either gets the answers or leaves little doubt that the interviewee won't answer the question and basically confirms the answer by his evasion.

That is fair comment. There was no doubt that Sam Newmans interview made Terry Wallace look like he was lying, evading and spinning and the numerous article since have basically said as much and there have been numerous descriptions of it in the media as a car wreck of an interview. I wasn't being critical of Sam, but the actual interview as a whole because there was so much BS being spun through the entire interview by Wallace.

I am being picky here, but the only thing I can find fault with Sam's interviewing technique is that he asks the hard question 2 or 3 times, and then believe the person interviewed at the end of it, when it is obvious to all and sundry that the guy being interviewed is lying. Sam seems to make a comment at the end, giving credibility to the interviewee, rather than saying nothing and letting the audience deciding.

It's not a bad technique IMO. He maintains a relationship with the interviewee while highlighting their insincerity. Some journos think it is not a successful interview unless you have the interviewee spit the dummy and walk off or humiliate themselves with a tirade of abuse.

Sam didn't believe Wallace, that was obvious. He accepted that Wallace was not going to answer the question and maintained courtesy.

I actually found fault with the interview in that Sam was stumped on a couple of occasions wondering where to take it due to Wallace's non-participation.

What I got out of this interview is:

Newman did ask him to resign.
The Swans did offer him the coaching job and reneged.
The Dogs were looking to revamp the club and Wallace used that as an excuse to fly the coop. He was too willing to blame the Dogs for his leaving, like it was a magnanimous gesture on his behalf to assist them in making changes and saving money. Probably the truth is somewhere in between.

This might be out of the initial question a tiny bit but you guys would like to know this to.

Does anyone know where i can download the clip where.

1. Sam Newman was Terry Wallace in the CGU add.
and
2. Sam Newman was Barry Hall in the CGU add.

preferably to a phone.

Anyone who answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Does anyone know where i can download the clip where.

1. Sam Newman was Terry Wallace in the CGU add.
and
2. Sam Newman was Barry Hall in the CGU add.

They are both on YouTube so I'd assume some sort of ripper would get it onto your phone?

Terry:
[YOUTUBE]1qFPf8dA9PQ[/YOUTUBE]

Barry:
[YOUTUBE]eIBtW2hh7qQ[/YOUTUBE]

He went broke in the 80s and the thing that saved him was that he floated an idea to the Sun that he would do a newspaper interview every week in the paper.
I think his first interview was Dermie and he questioned him in a hard-hitting style similar to the way he interviewed plough on tv. The transcripts were then put in the paper similar to how Mike Sheahan does it when he does the double page spread interviews in the paper nowadays.
He interviewed colourful, interesting players. He was the only one doing this sort of stuff back then and I think he was able to pull himself from the s**t after the interviews were well received.
He is a loose cannon, boorish and immature at times but he is an intelligent man.

He went broke in the 80s and the thing that saved him was that he floated an idea to the Sun that he would do a newspaper interview every week in the paper.
I think his first interview was Dermie and he questioned him in a hard-hitting style similar to the way he interviewed plough on tv. The transcripts were then put in the paper similar to how Mike Sheahan does it when he does the double page spread interviews in the paper nowadays.
He interviewed colourful, interesting players. He was the only one doing this sort of stuff back then and I think he was able to pull himself from the s**t after the interviews were well received.

I remember those interviews, they were extremely interesting reading.

Actually, they were not only players that he was interviewing. One of the more memorable interviews was when he was interviewing Sheila Florence(She played lizzie in the Prisoner) as she was dying. It would have been really uncomfortable for someone to be interviewing someone as they are dying before your eyes, but IMO Sam handled it really well.

I have never heard Terry Wallace admit that he thought he would get the Sydney job.

Of course he would never admit it because he actually did get the job, he signed contract with the Swans during his time still at the Dogs.

Then the Swans pulled out of the deal and his people forced the issue and they were made to honour the agreement for the first year and he got paid $400K and had to stand out of coaching for 12-months.

And let me assure you, that is all 100% fact !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can everyone please stop calling him Sam? That's his nickname! It's John Newman...not bloody Sam Newman!

Just on his interviewing technique...I think working on the old World Of Sport and doing things like Club Corner would have helped him hone his skills.

Imagine being a ruckman with him as your ruck coach - you would have learned plenty.

Can everyone please stop calling him Sam? That's his nickname! It's John Newman...not bloody Sam Newman!

Just on his interviewing technique...I think working on the old World Of Sport and doing things like Club Corner would have helped him hone his skills.

Imagine being a ruckman with him as your ruck coach - you would have learned plenty.

So your real name actually is pazza?

I saw you refer to Garry Foulds as "Fouldsy". That's his nickname! It's Garry Foulds!... not bloody Fouldsy!

Pazza
most people call him 'sam',even Eddie MacGuire does!
i know he is intelligent-no doubt- but its his moronic behavior- continually- that shits me beyond words.only Gordon Ramsay is a bigger twat.

I remember those interviews, they were extremely interesting reading.

Actually, they were not only players that he was interviewing. One of the more memorable interviews was when he was interviewing Sheila Florence(She played lizzie in the Prisoner) as she was dying. It would have been really uncomfortable for someone to be interviewing someone as they are dying before your eyes, but IMO Sam handled it really well.
I think you are right, I am sure he interviewed Cher when she was on one of her tours here. This was before she had a sucessful comeback with "if i could turn back time" and "jesse james".
She was doing shows at the Hilton Hotel anyway she apparently had a bit of a thing going with Trevor Barker when she was in Melbourne and Sam questioned her about it.
Was gold.

he just acts the fool
his immature antics, it is all an act
he 'plays' the fool, it's part of television. But there is a big difference between playing the fool and being a fool.

Sam Newman is no fool.
Sam is that his 'brand' is squarely being the clown

Notice it's been years since anyone sincerely argued he's "acting"? Turned out he was really an arsehole the whole time. Why The Footy Show was ****ed once the audience moved past 'lol imagine being gay/female/etc' jokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back