Traded Sam Petrevski-Seton [Traded to West Coast as part of three way trade for Pick 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Will be interesting to see who of Zac Williams or SPS plays mid next year
Williams will. SPS isn’t a good runner and isn’t overly quick so it’s very hard to fit him in with guys like Cripps and Setterfield. Such an interesting player in that he could fit in perfectly for some sides but we just don’t seem to know how or where to use him. HF seems the best fit but he is poor overhead and if you can’t mark I think most sides will want players with a lot of pace. In saying that a HF line of Martin, Curnow and SPS should work if we have pace through the midfield and wings, which unfortunately we don’t. Personally I don’t mind him back as he plays his role but to get the best out of him he probably needs Setterfield’s role or to play HF with a midfield with much more speed then we currently play with.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sammo is best 22 and isnt considered fringe. Hes doing well in his current environment and is highly regarded by the coaching staff.
Yes very good stats for a 23yr old required midfielder that is a coaches faviourite.
1609900799264.png

Not really doing much for the team for what I can see. Its not like he cops the tag every week either.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes very good stats for a 23yr old required midfielder that is a coaches faviourite.
View attachment 1036321
Not really doing much for the team for what I can see. Its not like he cops the tag every week either.

My takeaway from your post is that you dont watch Sammo and think reading a stats sheet gives you some kind of unique insight into how and where he plays. It doesnt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
He’s got decent pace
Endurance could improve for sure tho

He's never been fast. Looked quickish as a junior with a lighter frame and minus a few hamstring injuries, but ultimately it's his mind that's working in overdrive that makes him seem faster than he is.

I don't think he'll ever be an endurance beast either. He's in his 5th pre-season, and pushed it a little each year, but you can only stretch a footballers engine so far. I think it's partly why the club has been so hell bent on turning him into a small defender.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
He's never been fast. Looked quickish as a junior with a lighter frame and minus a few hamstring injuries, but ultimately it's his mind that's working in overdrive that makes him seem faster than he is.

I don't think he'll ever be an endurance beast either. He's in his 5th pre-season, and pushed it a little each year, but you can only stretch a footballers engine so far. I think it's partly why the club has been so hell bent on turning him into a small defender.
I’d take him at Brisbane and look to him as Daniel Rich’s long term replacement.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I’d take him at Brisbane and look to him as Daniel Rich’s long term replacement.

Different style players, but I guess there’s always the possibility. Not quite replacing Rich’s long kicking, but SPS still has time to find his niche as a defender which the coaching staff are hellbent on turning him into.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Different style players, but I guess there’s always the possibility. Not quite replacing Rich’s long kicking, but SPS still has time to find his niche as a defender which the coaching staff are hellbent on turning him into.
Yup I know they’re different players, and SPS doesn’t have the same long kicking that Rich does. But that’s ok, we’ve got another kid in the reserves developing that does.

What SPS would offer is good defensive pressure, with good vision and creativity going forward.

And I trust our development coaches to get the best out of him.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If we persist in trying to turn him into a small defender then we deserve to lose him.

With his talent and disposal he needs to be played on the half-forward line. He should be our last kick into the forward 50, not the first or second kick out of defence. We are utterly wasting him. Hes amazing in congestion and can deliver it low, flat and fast to our key talls.

If we persist in trying to turn him into a small defender then we deserve to lose him.

With his talent and disposal he needs to be played on the half-forward line. He should be our last kick into the forward 50, not the first or second kick out of defence. We are utterly wasting him. Hes amazing in congestion and can deliver it low, flat and fast to our key talls.
I want to see him in the centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Back