Welcome Sam Petrevski-Seton (Pick 52)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think how he will go, will depend on the attitude of the rest of the club. If it’s like last year, he will just slot into being another trumpet player, in the band, as the ship goes down.

Believe you have done brilliantly to get him for a pick in the 50s. As other Carlton supporters who’ve ventured in here have said, I’m really disappointed he’s left Carlton. I believe he’ll be a quality player for you guys. Was developing really well through midfield, until Teague really made him go backwards down back. Not overly fast, but very fast decision maker and clean disposer of the ball. He loves to tackle and apply pressure (apparent when played as a mid) and doesn’t fumble - one touch player. He also has great vision, is creative with the ball in hand and kicks very well off either foot. Hope he tears it up for West coast.

Last edited:
This is why I’m big on Boots as a defender. He has footy smarts in spades and has the pace and footskills to open the game up.
I’m with you. There are players who can run and carry like Shep, Rotham, Cole, Witherden and even Hurn, Duggan and Nelson to a degree, but I think with his injuries it may be a good move to have Shuey running out of the backline and delivering the ball with real class. It would also give young mids a chance to develop.

I’m with you. There are players who can run and carry like Shep, Rotham, Cole, Witherden and even Hurn, Duggan and Nelson to a degree, but I think with his injuries it may be a good move to have Shuey running out of the backline and delivering the ball with real class. It would also give young mids a chance to develop.
I couldn’t disagree more, Shuey is a natural and very competent goal kicker, almost guaranteed to earn a couple of free kicks a game by getting to the ball 1st. I’d love to see him on a HFF flank, or forward pocket, if those old hamstrings are t up for midfield minutes.

I couldn’t disagree more, Shuey is a natural and very competent goal kicker, almost guaranteed to earn a couple of free kicks a game by getting to the ball 1st. I’d love to see him on a HFF flank, or forward pocket, if those old hamstrings are t up for midfield minutes.

The problem personally is that playing off of the forward flank you potentially have to do more repeat sprints than you do as a midfielder and then execute at speed. The HFF is no longer a place where you can rest midfielders. Run, carry and pressure is important on all lines but personally I think the HFF's have it the hardest. Sure a winger might cover more distance but repeat sprints are dominated by forward flankers unless your team is getting dominated around the ground and then it's defenders.

The problem personally is that playing off of the forward flank you potentially have to do more repeat sprints than you do as a midfielder and then execute at speed. The HFF is no longer a place where you can rest midfielders. Run, carry and pressure is important on all lines but personally I think the HFF's have it the hardest. Sure a winger might cover more distance but repeat sprints are dominated by forward flankers unless your team is getting dominated around the ground and then it's defenders.
You are incorrect, midfielders consistently run more repeat sprints, maximum exertion than both the Forwards and backs which are both on par with each other.
Given that, why would you waste a natural forward and goal kicker in the backline.
I can send you a link to a published University study on who does the most repeat maximum exertion sprints at AFL level if you like?

You are incorrect, midfielders consistently run more repeat sprints, maximum exertion than both the Forwards and backs which are both on par with each other.
Given that, why would you waste a natural forward and goal kicker in the backline.
I can send you a link to a published University study on who does the most repeat maximum exertion sprints at AFL level if you like?
Cause he is a natural play maker with a great footy brain to match his elite footskills. You put a guy like that behind the ball and you ball movement starts looking hell of a lot more dangerous. Our problem lies with stagnant and horrible movement of the footy with Witho and Hurn(basically at the end too) the only two that look good in defence with ball in hand.

Our forward line has a whole heap of good goal kickers any way and with a fit midfield we will have Tk running through there to anyway (possible SPS too).

Cause he is a natural play maker with a great footy brain to match his elite footskills. You put a guy like that behind the ball and you ball movement starts looking hell of a lot more dangerous. Our problem lies with stagnant and horrible movement of the footy with Witho and Hurn(basically at the end too) the only two that look good in defence with ball in hand.

Our forward line has a whole heap of good goal kickers any way and with a fit midfield we will have Tk running through there to anyway (possible SPS too).
Shepherd All Australian says hi and Duggan isn’t too bad either.
Shuey is not a defender.

Shuey is not a defender.
And Rotham and Gov (provided he takes more than 1 step prior to kicking).

Kicking skills out of our backline aren't the problem. The game plan and directions given to players is.

Ball retention I50 is an issue for us, so Shuey, Kelly and SPS rotating off a hff makes sense as they are good kicks going i50.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shuey is not a defender.
Not sure whats the go with Sheps concussion. I’m not saying make Shuey into defence but rotate him through there. Offensively he’s the closest to a Jetta we can get.

The problem there is forwards are now running the same if not longer distances than mids.

So resting his hamstrings playing forward is a bit of a 'long bow'.

Likely less physical crash and bash but plenty of running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem there is forwards are now running the same if not longer distances than mids.

So resting his hamstrings playing forward is a bit of a 'long bow'.

Likely less physical crash and bash but plenty of running.
The concept of playing in position is 40years dated. How many defenders kick goals against us and how often is Ryan seen in the 'back pocket'

The concept of playing in position is 40years dated. How many defenders kick goals against us and how often is Ryan seen in the 'back pocket'
Yeah righto. Barrass rover, Kennedy ruck he’s tall, Ryan back pocket, Nic Nat full back.
Shuey is not a back man!

Yes and that's a very big "if" hence the suggestion

Pick #6 in 2015 draft?...No slouch. That Bulldogs game was something else. If he can be consistent at half those stats...is good!
Came here after our midfield draft (Chesser, Hough, Bazzo) to see what else we had.
Fortunately found someone who looks and plays like a midfielder!

Pick #6 in 2015 draft?...No slouch. That Bulldogs game was something else. If he can be consistent at half those stats...is good!
Came here after our midfield draft (Chesser, Hough, Bazzo) to see what else we had.
Fortunately found someone who looks and plays like a midfielder!
Shame we didn't end up with a 'Greg Clarke' type... ;).

Midfield should be fine. If we drafted SPS to play midfield, plus the 2 new midfield coaches (and Wiley), the club must have faith in some of the younger kids coming through under their guidance (O'Neill, Trew, Edwards, even Rioli to an extent).

Shame we didn't end up with a 'Greg Clarke' type... ;).

Midfield should be fine. If we drafted SPS to play midfield, plus the 2 new midfield coaches (and Wiley), the club must have faith in some of the younger kids coming through under their guidance (O'Neill, Trew, Edwards, even Rioli to an extent).
Agree, too many melts on the trade page by the usual suspects. It seems we got 1x winger high forward/mid, 1x winger halfback mid, 1x mid, 1 intercept back and 1 tall forward? That looks like a fairly balanced draft to me, certainly addressing the midfield. Add SPS, Rioli, a fit Kelly, Yeo, Shuey, Sheed, NN, Gaff, Redden (in doubt?). Add hopefully an improved Ledwards, Trew, West and Xon, plus new midfield coaches - has to be a noticeable change on last few seasons?

Agree, too many melts on the trade page by the usual suspects. It seems we got 1x winger high forward/mid, 1x winger halfback mid, 1x mid, 1 intercept back and 1 tall forward? That looks like a fairly balanced draft to me, certainly addressing the midfield. Add SPS, Rioli, a fit Kelly, Yeo, Shuey, Sheed, NN, Gaff, Redden (in doubt?). Add hopefully an improved Ledwards, Trew, West and Xon, plus new midfield coaches - has to be a noticeable change on last few seasons?
You'd certainly hope so... Even a decent injury run would solve the issue, mids got smashed last year. SPS looks like he's already bulked up a little, Big preseason needed by all.

2020 - 13 games
2021 - 7 games.

If up to it, the Mark Le Cras 2018 role, off the back of the centre square.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back