Traded Sam Petrevski-Seton [Traded to West Coast as part of three way trade for Pick 52]

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Loving the Carlton responses.

Polarising view on his value.

He's either a mistreated high talent or he's a spud.

Every club has those players that the supporters are split on.
He has all the talent in the world with questionable work rate and effort playing in a poor system that hasn't recognised and maximised his strengths.

In other words, it's complicated. The club hasn't done right by SPS and vice versa. BUT there is no doubt that in a good system he could become a high quality afl player. A great addition by WC. Low risk high reward.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
After getting Martin for free last year, Hewett again for nothing I think Carlton can afford to lose one every now and again.
The only point I was making is that our list management team is the 2nd worst in the comp behind Gold Coast. Nothing more.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
When’s the last time a failed first round pick has moved and then it turned it around and fulfilled their original potential?

Genuinely can’t think of any examples. I’m sure their would be though.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
When’s the last time a failed first round pick has moved and then it turned it around and fulfilled their original potential?

SPS has played like 94 of a possible 105 games, and played acceptably in his preferred position, so I'm not sure how that's a failed player. But if you mean first round players who have been traded and improved at their new club, then you could argue that Peter Wright, Dom Tyson, and Jared Polec have done this, though I'm not sure why the round they were drafted in is relevant?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
SPS has played like 94 of a possible 105 games, and played acceptably in his preferred position, so I'm not sure how that's a failed player. But if you mean first round players who have been traded and improved at their new club, then you could argue that Peter Wright, Dom Tyson, and Jared Polec have done this, though I'm not sure why the round they were drafted in is relevant?

I’m not suggesting SPS is a bad pick up for the Eagles. Definitely worth taking the flyer on. I brought it up to say that pick 52 seems about right to me.

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m not suggesting SPS is a bad pick up for the Eagles. Definitely worth taking the flyer on. I brought it up to say that pick 52 seems about right to me.
Pick 52 is a delist in 2 years 999/1000 times so its a massive win for West Coast even if they delist him at the end of next year it saves wasting that 2nd season on a kid that won't make it.

I don't think he has the drive to do it but if he could get motived enough to produce more performances like the one vs the dogs a few years ago he is a free 1st rounder for them.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
SPS is a bargain for west coast. If he doesn’t work out it’s cost them next to nothing pick wise. Assume he isn’t on big $ either. Dropped off last 2 years but also been played out of position IMO.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok I see blues fans say he’s a poor tackler and lazy but he was averaging around 4.5 tackles for his first 3 seasons and then this season had 2 games of 11 and 6 tackles (played 3 games) in the VFL. It just sounds like he is lost as a defender

Last edited:

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS is a bargain for west coast. If he doesn’t work out it’s cost them next to nothing pick wise. Assume he isn’t on big $ either. Dropped off last 2 years but also been played out of position IMO.

Most supporters won't have too much resentment toward this with regards to Samo himself I suspect, hopefully he can get a kick and make a contribution for WC. There's all manner of speculation about why he hasn't been able to get the best out of himself but the bottom line is he hasn't been able to become the player he certainly has/had the potential to be. With Cerra and Hewett coming in, he really wasn't going to get a look in as a mid and it appears he wasn't prepared to put the work in whilst he was here to demand a spot in an area we've sorely lacked in. Whether that's all on him or some on the coaches is up for debate, probably a bit of both. His intensity and work rate needed to be better.

Where you might find a bit of annoyance is with how shitty the trade deal was for us, it was a really bad return and it would have been nice to get our second (and potentially last) pick of the draft higher than in the 60s. Personally, I think it was a very disappointing result but we had a net positive trade period as some consolation.

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton

It's a bit rough to call him a failed player given the games he has played, although he certainly hasn't been a great player for us or what you'd want from a pick 6 so I get it. As to your question, it's not that common. I think generally first round picks are given more chances if you like to show they can play, so if they haven't been able to put it together after their extended stay that the majority of them get, their level is kind of known.

Depending on your definition of 'failed first rounder' to move and have success and reach their potential; Jay Schulz is a pretty good example. Tom Mitchell got to his peak potential after moving. He was played a lot in the reserves by Longmire and was really down the pecking order at Sydney but played a fair few games like SPS did. Do you include Brad Ottens? Gary Rohan probably fits the bill, Lachie Henderson too after 2 moves. Jason Gram. Jamie Cripps maybe at St. Kilda (only there for 2 years but looked ordinary), got to his level at WC. Troy Simmonds?

EDIT: Peter Wright and Matty Kennedy could eventually join the list, but will have to see how things pan out.

There aren't many, far more in the 2nd round or later on I guess.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a bit rough to call him a failed player given the games he has played, although he certainly hasn't been a great player for us or what you'd want from a pick 6 so I get it. As to your question, it's not that common. I think generally first round picks are given more chances if you like to show they can play, so if they haven't been able to put it together after their extended stay that the majority of them get, their level is kind of known.

Depending on your definition of 'failed first rounder' to move and have success and reach their potential; Jay Schulz is a pretty good example. Tom Mitchell got to his peak potential after moving. He was played a lot in the reserves by Longmire and was really down the pecking order at Sydney but played a fair few games like SPS did. Do you include Brad Ottens? Gary Rohan probably fits the bill, Lachie Henderson too after 2 moves. Jason Gram. Jamie Cripps maybe at St. Kilda (only there for 2 years but looked ordinary), got to his level at WC. Troy Simmonds?

EDIT: Peter Wright and Matty Kennedy could eventually join the list, but will have to see how things pan out.

There aren't many, far more in the 2nd round or later on I guess.

I think it’s fair to call him a failed pick given he was traded for a pick in the 50s although I agree it’d be harsh to describe him as failed footballer.

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Because he doesn't have the leg speed to create space forward of centre, or any other elite attributes that help him get a hold of the ball which is why he doesn't touch it enough and can't play forward of centre.

Its no surprise his standout game was on the back of Cripps getting near 40 touches and 20 clearances, the doggies were so concerned about Cripps SPS got space in the middle and the ball regularly handed to him so he could use his skills to hurt the opposition. SPS has to want it enough to run all day like a walsh or he is never going to touch the ball enough to warrant midfield minutes anywhere.

Back