Recommitted Sam Powell-Pepper [re-signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get 23 from sydney as a part of the Daniher trade it might be enough?

I honestly don’t know what the club would be looking for if he moved clubs, but to me, in this draft, I wouldn’t do that.

I would want hately coming back, so ask yourself what it would cost to free up hately, even if port sweetened it.

I honestly don’t know what the club would be looking for if he moved clubs, but to me, in this draft, I wouldn’t do that.

I would want hately coming back, so ask yourself what it would cost to free up hately, even if port sweetened it.

I dont know what the club would be looking for also in this draft / trade period

But

player wise - maybe a swap for Francis (which could allow us to free up Howard)
I am not interested in Fantasia - (I would rather we develop forwards Rozee, Butters, Cox, Farrell, Woodcock + others coming in such as Mead a Mid / HFF)
our pick 9 (currently) should allow us to get the player we want … although we might need another high 2nd round pick

also

we do have to look towards the 2020 draft we have a few father son we need to get future picks for (e.g. Mid / HFF - Schofield etc) & some possibility of some Academy players as well.

so maybe Essendon's 2020 first round pick (or some combination of other 2020 picks )

Lol you’ve got a snowballs chance in hell of turning spp into Hately without adding something else pretty decent

Lol you’ve got a snowballs chance in hell of turning spp into Hately without adding something else pretty decent

Aside from the obvious reason that gws wouldn’t want to let a contracted player go... why?

I think gws would ask for a fair bit for Hately, but I think that’s a close measure for what we should be looking for spp.

Last edited:
Lewis Taylor isn’t a great counter argument?
Just showing that first year stats mean jack s**t when comparing players. Spp didn’t have a great year and hasn’t shown much improvement since his first year. Not saying he’s a bad player, I think he’s alright, I just rate hately much higher and I’d suggest a majority of football followers would aswell

Teams don’t trade for players on what they’ve done, they trade for players on what they can do in the future. SPP has huuuuge upside if properly managed. Hopefully the club realizes it simply isn’t worth trading him unless the offer is too good to refuse.

Of course they trade on what they've done. Players are like a car and lose value the minute you put them onto an AFL field, players actually have to perform at high level to maintain or increase there draft pick value, especially high picks.

Of course they trade on what they've done. Players are like a car and lose value the minute you put them onto an AFL field, players actually have to perform at high level to maintain or increase there draft pick value, especially high picks.

If a club sees the upside in SPP then they will trade based on what they think he can bring to their club going forward. It’s as simple as that really. His “worth” is in the eye of the beholder. We took him with Pick 18, I believe. There would be zero reason for us to trade him for any less than that IMO.

If a club sees the upside in SPP then they will trade based on what they think he can bring to their club going forward. It’s as simple as that really. His “worth” is in the eye of the beholder. We took him with Pick 18, I believe. There would be zero reason for us to trade him for any less than that IMO.

I don't think you should trade him, I think draft picks are over valued. But the majority of trades have players going for less then where they were drafted

Wingard was traded for 15 was pick 6
Setterfield was pick 5 and went to Blues for 2nd rounder
Scrimshaw pick 7 was a 4th rounder
Devon Smith originally pick 13, pick 25 and future 2nd for pick 11
Stringer pick 5 went for 25 and 30.

It happens constantly where high picks go for less than what they were originally drafted. Its the hardest thing for players to actually retain their value.

Because hately will be a much better player than spp. Pretty simple. Lewis Taylor had a better 1st year than both would you trade spp for him?
Teams don’t trade for players on what they’ve done, they trade for players on what they can do in the future. SPP has huuuuge upside if properly managed. Hopefully the club realizes it simply isn’t worth trading him unless the offer is too good to refuse.
Just showing that first year stats mean jack s**t when comparing players. Spp didn’t have a great year and hasn’t shown much improvement since his first year. Not saying he’s a bad player, I think he’s alright, I just rate hately much higher and I’d suggest a majority of football followers would aswell

Unfortunately with SPP what you see is what you get and he has been in the system for 3 years and his first year for a rookie was good but has not improved at all since his 1st year and has a low ceiling.

Unfortunately with SPP what you see is what you get and he has been in the system for 3 years and his first year for a rookie was good but has not improved at all since his 1st year and has a low ceiling.

In his 1st year he got a lot of midfield time as Boak was up forward and Rockliff wasn’t here. Thanks to a fantastic list balance he has Boak, Rockliff, Wines, Drew, Ebert, R Gray and Houston taking large amounts of minutes away. SPP was shoved up forward a lot and struggles to have an impact there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just showing that first year stats mean jack s**t when comparing players.

Applying that as a blanket rule while rating Hately higher based on his first year is fairly hypocritical.

Spp didn’t have a great year and hasn’t shown much improvement since his first year.

Perfect example of someone commenting on a player they don’t know very well.

Powell-peppers running has improved off the charts since his first year. What was once a knock on him became a strength this year. His running numbers were amazing.

As someone else mentioned he showed excellent form as an inside mid, then this year Hinkley decided to place him out on a flank or forward line for most of the year (Hinkley has a long list of bizarre positional changes so this has less to do with spp and more to do with Hinkley thinking he can reinvent the wheel when really he wouldn’t know a wheel from a tree)

The knocks on spp are that he just rushes decisions when he has the ball, and that he does stupid little things, not even big stupid things like fake piss tests just little normal 20year old bloke stuff.

Not saying he’s a bad player, I think he’s alright, I just rate hately much higher and I’d suggest a majority of football followers would aswell

It’s not inconceivable that people would rate Hately higher (though statistically their first years are pretty similar if not favouring spp) but the margin shouldn’t be massive at all and if it is it’s just a great example of shiny new toy syndrome.

In Ports best interest to keep him and play him.
You don't lose your ability and SPP showed he has what it takes.
Its not unheard of for players to have second season blues.
Anyone thinking he has lost a ton of value, especially in this draft, is kidding themselves.

In Ports best interest to keep him and play him.
You don't lose your ability and SPP showed he has what it takes.
Its not unheard of for players to have second season blues.
Anyone thinking he has lost a ton of value, especially in this draft, is kidding themselves.

Ports issue with Peppers isn’t limited to what happens on the park.

Essendon and Richmond would be trying to sell him stability outside of football.

Essendon and Richmond would be trying to sell him stability outside of football.

so we are into him?

had a feeling we may enter the race

I really hope not , Apart from his size i just cant see what he would add to the Richmond team
We have Jack Ross a 1st year player that was having a great year until he got injured that fills the need and looks more talented as well as Riley Collier-Dawkins another 1st year player thats a big mid that will also come into the team in next year or the year after.

The only role i could imagine for SPP in the richmond line up is if he becomes a tagger

I hope we are into him, we are in position we can take a high risk / high reward chance on a potential midfield bull.

Off field we are as well equipped as any club to help him get his s**t together and on field, he would flourish in our system IMO.

I would do our first rounder in a heart beat.

I hope we are into him, we are in position we can take a high risk / high reward chance on a potential midfield bull.

Off field we are as well equipped as any club to help him get his s**t together and on field, he would flourish in our system IMO.

I would do our first rounder in a heart beat.

I wouldn't specially for our 1st rounder

Hope bombers get there man on this one

Applying that as a blanket rule while rating Hately higher based on his first year is fairly hypocritical.

Perfect example of someone commenting on a player they don’t know very well.

Powell-peppers running has improved off the charts since his first year. What was once a knock on him became a strength this year. His running numbers were amazing.

As someone else mentioned he showed excellent form as an inside mid, then this year Hinkley decided to place him out on a flank or forward line for most of the year (Hinkley has a long list of bizarre positional changes so this has less to do with spp and more to do with Hinkley thinking he can reinvent the wheel when really he wouldn’t know a wheel from a tree)

The knocks on spp are that he just rushes decisions when he has the ball, and that he does stupid little things, not even big stupid things like fake piss tests just little normal 20year old bloke stuff.

It’s not inconceivable that people would rate Hately higher (though statistically their first years are pretty similar if not favouring spp) but the margin shouldn’t be massive at all and if it is it’s just a great example of shiny new toy syndrome.
i never bought hatelys stats into it, that was you. Also I wasn’t rating his worth on hatelys first year alone. I’m sure his running has improved, after 3 years in the system it should. Not pretending to know your players better than you do, I’ve probably watched spp 6-7 times this year, as I said I do like him as a player, has a few kinks he needs to sort out, but I just rate hately higher, I think in 3 years time with the same experience as spp he’ll be a much better player. I’ve got no bias in this, if hawthorn were trading for them I’d give something between 20-30 for spp and something around 10 for hately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back