Recommitted Sam Powell-Pepper [re-signed until 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an interesting point.

While I think SPP is best 22 for Port he is in the bottom 1/4 of the best 22, eg. a couple of bad games from him and some good games from someone else in the 2's and he could be dropped.
Out of interest here are a few players in a similar age group, in as good or better teams and in that bottom 1/4 of the best 22.
Liam Duggan
Alex Witherden
Mitch Wallis
Brandon Parfitt
Ivan Soldo

Is SPP worth more than any of those? and if so why?
Where SPP could have the advantage is that he does have an elite trait which is his power. A team in need of a powerful mid who are able to overlook his weaknesses may be willing to offer more than his overall value because they are chasing the elite trait. The downside is though that he probably won't have a wide range of interest.

Only problem is that SPP has already indicated that he want's to sign up again for Port. End of story.
Regardless of he leaves or not I find his value an interesting point of discussion. Unfortunately for us neutrals it doesn't sound like we will get an answer at the end of the year of that is correct.

Powell-pepper played 57games in his first 3 seasons. The idea he is fringe because he hasn’t played every single game since he was drafted as an 18yr old is moronic.
He certainly was a regular in the best 22 from very early in his career. I can remember him being left out if the side a few times last year though. Do I not have that right?

What part of "the club might not want him" do you fail to grasp?
I, being a Port Member, can tell you that he wants to stay, and Port will sign him up again, as Ken Hinkley wants him. He is living with previous Port Captain, Travis Boak.
And you, following West Coast, would have no idea. Simple.

I, being a Port Member, can tell you that he wants to stay, and Port will sign him up again, as Ken Hinkley wants him. He is living with previous Port Captain, Travis Boak.
And you, following West Coast, would have no idea. Simple.

Players always say they want to stay.
Scott Lycett wanted to stay.

Chad Wingard wanted to stay as well.

At the end of the day, it will all depend on money and the length of contract offered.

I still reckon he's in the 15 to 25 group of players at Port.

Players always say they want to stay.
Scott Lycett wanted to stay.

Chad Wingard wanted to stay as well.

At the end of the day, it will all depend on money and the length of contract offered.

I still reckon he's in the 15 to 25 group of players at Port.
Oh Dear ...
Scott Lycett told his best mate, Sam Gray, a Port player, that he wanted to come back to Port Adelaide to play, and leave West Coast. And he did.
Yes, Chad Wingard wanted to stay. but was told to look elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure he was dropped several times last year.

Thought he was suspended in 2018.

you might be right about 2018.

he played 19 games as a 20/21yr old. That’s up there with the best.

it’s an absurd caveat to say that unless a 20yr old has played every single game by that stage that they should be considered fringe. That would be like 98% of afl players.

Oh Dear ...
Scott Lycett told his best mate, Sam Gray, a Port player, that he wanted to come back to Port Adelaide to play, and leave West Coast. And he did.
Yes, Chad Wingard wanted to stay. but was told to look elsewhere.
That's what I'm saying.

Players and clubs toe the company line.

Again, at the end of the day, a decision will be based on how much Port think he's worth.
It's got nothing to do on whether Sam wants to stay or not.

it’s an absurd caveat to say that unless a 20yr old has played every single game by that stage that they should be considered fringe. That would be like 98% of afl players.

I agree.

Dom Sheed was dropped several times in 2018 and only got back in due to Gaff being suspended.
It can turn pretty quickly.

SPP is a bit different to most 20/21 year olds though. He was lock in the starting midfield in his first two seasons then got dropped a few times in his third season and now appears to have been moved to a forward role in his fourth. Dont get me wrong it's a good effort for a young player to play that many games in three years but there hasn't been a huge amount out improvement and surely now he is considered in that 15-25 player group as it currently stands, which is what I would call fringe.

Young players drafted to weaker clubs, or shallow lists tend to play more often, earlier.

Young players drafted to stronger clubs, more often than not, take a couple of years to establish themselves in the best 22.

So comparing how many games a kid has played in his first three years, to how many games other kids have played is not very useful or accurate.

Context is everything.

In this discussion, it’s best to look for similar types of players, and gage SPP’s “value” against theirs.

Clayton Oliver is probably the current poster boy for this style of mid. And Dangerfield before him. Big body, power and speed through and out of stoppages.

I do believe Sam Philp drafted to Carlton last year, and Ely Smith drafted to Brisbane the year before are similar types. Coincidentally both were drafted in about the same range.

We’ll have to wait and see how those two compare.

His a first rnd pick who has been playing regularly footy and is looking like a machine coming into his fourth year.
Puts it all on the line week in week out does all the little things just needs to tidy up his disposal which he has been working on going to be a very important player.
Want to keep him for sure and as for his value would have to be a first.

Seems to be one of the few port players out of form

averaging 13 touches
Also only has 1 goal so far
Hate to single you out but prime example.

lots of people in this thread who clearly haven’t watched many Port games, let alone paid attention to SPP and throwing their opinion around like it means something.

At his best he’s a hard hitting, explosive, ball winning, match winner in the Dustin Martin mould. That’s his ceiling and something he’s shown glimpses of ever since his very first game. Now he’s still only 22 so is developing his game. Anyone suggesting he’s hit his ceiling has no idea imo.

He’s absolutely not out of form this year, we’ve pushed him to a forward flank and asked him to play a role and hes done it with no questions asked. His numbers don’t look flash but if you go watch any of our games this year you’ll see why he’s so valuable to our side. Also he’s cleaned his skills up very noticeably this year, particularly his kicking.

I think any side willing to offer him midfield minutes would be in the prime seat. I doubt we’d take any less than the late first rounder it cost us for him, and at that he’s a bargain. Will be a superstar at some point in the near future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back