Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid's problem is that he can never get on the park to do these things, His best years are the years just before he signs a new contract.
$650k a year is big money for a player that averages 10-12 games a year
The average AFL salary is now in excess of 300k, set to rise again in 2018, 600-650k seems like a big number on the surface but when it's for a mature ready to go CHF whos age profile is perfect for our team.

Yes hes had durability issues but if he passes out medical test and has a good year games number wise I don't see the issue with it.

Would 100% take him at $600k/year. Reckon he will get more than that on the open market though. Teams the Blues will be able to offer him alot more as who are they paying other than Daisy and Murph?

And all those who say he is injury prone are a bit short sighted. He has play at least 20 games in 4 of the last 5 seasons. A serious upgrade on Griffiths and Elton. Keep one of those two as backup.

Reid can also play the second ruck role and go back to defense if needed.

$600k?? Pass
At a lower price, worth a look.
Yeah dunno - certainly not worth 600k on output.
Would be handy however as at the moment we have.....*crickets*
I was in the Cloke would have actually been ok camp (although it was a camp with a one man tent!) :oops:

I have a feeling a lot more clubs are going to start doing deals like the one we did with Hawthorn, big front ended contract, we get first rounder they get there man all parties happy.
i think the AFL will wisen up if not doing so already about that kind of thing.

Works once, maybe twice and we got it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first was norf with Dal Santo, but it only seemed to be an issue when two high profile teams do it.

Essendon and Port did it backwards in the first season when they agreed to trade Monfries so it didn't affect the compo they got for Chaplin and Pearce.

The AFL should just get rid of compo as it's a joke and teams get a lot of cap space.

Bet you his perspective has changed with Sydney going 0-5, and them not being able to pay him what other clubs would be throwing at him.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Yeah I really don't think so.

A bit like how Shache is pretty much a done deal because obviously he would want to play alongside Jack.
It's nonsense. Just because someone wants a player to want to come to the club does not in any way mean the player wants to.

Yeah I really don't think so.

A bit like how Shache is pretty much a done deal because obviously he would want to play alongside Jack.
It's nonsense. Just because someone wants a player to want to come to the club does not in any way mean the player wants to.

I don't get how what you're saying correlates or has anything to do with what I said?

If any club is offering Reid 600-650 he's as good as gone, Sydney have no room in the cap to match offers like that with Tippet and Franklin eating up so much of the cap.

I don't get how what you're saying correlates or has anything to do with what I said?

If any club is offering Reid 600-650 he's as good as gone, Sydney have no room in the cap to match offers like that with Tippet and Franklin eating up so much of the cap.
My point is that I just don't see being 0-5 would change his mind in the space of a month. You do, but that's because you want him to.
You're right about the money, but if anyone is offering him 600k they've got rocks in their heads.

My point is that I just don't see being 0-5 would change his mind in the space of a month. You do, but that's because you want him to.
You're right about the money, but if anyone is offering him 600k they've got rocks in their heads.
No, I mentioned it because everybody had us pegged for bottom 4, with our future looking a little rosier I'd say it would definitely have an impact on whether or not to leave a successful club like Sydney or not.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

My two cents worth having experienced the Sam Reid rollercoaster first hand...

Pros: Excellent set of hands, can really take a grab. Kicking at goal has improved dramatically this year, presumably due to the work he's been doing with Plugger. Can play deep or up the ground. Is athletic. Would be an ideal CHF for you; would really fill a need. Can play forward or back (although it's been a huge bone of contention on our board how Longmire keeps throwing him into defence the moment he starts to look hot up forward :D)

Cons: Durability (lack thereof). And that detracts from nearly all of the pros. Sadly haven't seen nearly enough of Sammy's work.

Personally I'd be extremely sad to see him go, but that's just the way the game is now. If he stays fit for most/all of the year (IF) then you'd be mad not to have a crack at him IMO.
What are his cons on the footy field?

What are his cons on the footy field?

He used to be a bit tentative in front of goal, but as I said he's ironed most of that out from the work he's been doing with Lockett. He's also not a particularly good second ruckman IMO, despite Longmire being forced to use him in that role at times. Other than that I'm struggling to think of too many on-field cons tbh. Can be quiet for patches of games but that affects all talls not just him.

People criticise him for being injury prone, but it was mostly only last year with the Achilles injury that ruled him out of the season.
Pretty common for talls to grow into their body and stop getting injuries when they hit 24-25, which is right where Sam is now, he's 25 this year and would be just coming into his prime now. The form he's shown this year is proving that.

If they can, Sydney should try to trade Kurt Tippet instead. Not many clubs would take on his current salary, but perhaps they could offer him a longer deal to make him consider it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back