Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

From what I noticed was basically on Westhoff when he was forward and apart from that disgusting 50m joke kept him offensively quiet which is encouraging. Had some time on Jay and was OK.

Just pleasing he actually had a job description, singular, and it did not involve staying out of Tippetts/Franklins way.

Thing I liked was Sammy was clean and soaked up the pressure. Only the 10 possies but at 100% disposal efficiency and a handful of 1%ers. Took a few good grabs and seems to be becoming more aware of where he needs to be. Those long arms are Fletcheresque but he needs to get a little better on timing.

Encouraging signs.

Does 45 goals in the NEAFL count for nothing ?
Dennis-Lane kicked 67 in 2011 and 45 in 2012 - not picked, sent off to St Failure, now delisted.
Mitch Morton kicked 78 in 2012 - not picked for most of the year.
Membrey kicked 46 in 2013 and 48 in 2014 - not picked, sent off to St Failure.

So to answer your question, it counts for either nothing or very close to it.

Sam really looked the goods as a defender against Port.

Late in the game, when the opposition are having long range pings at our goal, it's invaluable to have that tall backstop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid salary?
Yep. Genuinely interested if his salary has ever been made public to warrant such comment.

Happy to analyze, even criticize, his football skills. Just like any player.

Personally, I think Swans half back flankers/defenders from Carter to Rampe have perfected the backstop role. No other club has this DNA. No shame in Reid following in the footsteps.

Rated him down back. Love his athleticism when playing from behind, great closing speed. Unfortunately I just can't see him making it as a forward for now.

Massive time investment

But he is supposed to be on more than that
Yeah who knows what he's on. All I've heard reported anywhere is more than a million over 5 years. My guess is between 220-260 a year. Given how promising he looked at the time I have no qualms with the club tying him up for that much. Obviously overs in hindsight though

The only article I saw mention a figure said multi-million dollar deal. That's 400k+

Even at 350-400K that is still just above average. It is the length that made it a risk not the amount.

He'd be fasttracked at GWS I reckon. Without having to worry about Bud, Tip & Goodes getting in his way he'd have flourished. Remember, he carried our fwd line for a while there and looked like he was developing okay. The potential we obviously took out of that development at the time was enough for us to want to secure him over letting him go to GWS. We didn't know we'd have Buddy Franklin at that point. I'm sure the plan was to have him as the eventual #1 key fwd.

He'd be fasttracked at GWS I reckon. Without having to worry about Bud, Tip & Goodes getting in his way he'd have flourished. Remember, he carried our fwd line for a while there and looked like he was developing okay. The potential we obviously took out of that development at the time was enough for us to want to secure him over letting him go to GWS. We didn't know we'd have Buddy Franklin at that point. I'm sure the plan was to have him as the eventual #1 key fwd.
If he was at LWS he would have likely been behind Cameron, Boyd, Patton and McCarthy at times as a forward so he would have had to try his luck as a defender with Davis, Corr, Mohr etc

Remember he signed the contract after the 2011 season for it to begin after his rookie contract ended after the 2012 season. So the 5 year contract began in the 2013 season 18 months after it was signed (He is in the 3rd year of the contract). So with that all in mind I doubt its more than 5 years/$1.5 mil keeping in mind when it was signed and the fact it was before the current TV Rights deal kicked in raising the average AFL contract.

Ok he is paid an average wage then Which is 250k

But still is a below average player so overpaid and overplayed for his output.

Just not going to piss my pants over one ok game in the backline, but hell i hope by round 23 this year i look bonkers questioning his place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back