Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

It has been 3 games :p But yeah. Seems super down in confidence. I really think he would do some time in the reserves just so he can start to think he is doing a good job.

Its been like 3 years since he was a promising enough forward

Plonk him in a side like Brisbane who need a forward, he would have no impact

I have to disagree. I think he could prosper well there

Hypothetically he goes to brisbanes current side and becomes their number 1 forward. Means he draws the best defender every week and has to be the man dont forget

How many goals you got him kicking

Ill go 12-20 at best

Hypothetically he goes to brisbanes current side and becomes their number 1 forward. Means he draws the best defender every week and has to be the man dont forget

How many goals you got him kicking

Ill go 12-20 at best
Eh I guess. Just want to see him do well though

Eh I guess. Just want to see him do well though

Same

I just think he has had a long run and shown less and less each week

But you are probably right maybe i am too negative

Same

I just think he has had a long run and shown less and less each week

But you are probably right maybe i am too negative
The moment we got Buddy I thought one of two things would happen

1. Reid would kick 50 and Tippett 60 due to Franklin getting the best defender all the time
2. Reid's development would be hindered

Sadly 2 happened. He looks good in defense, just lacking confidence.

Access All areas touched on him today (9:28). Highlighted some moments in the GWS game before halftime (that I hadn't yet seen) where he was pretty poor. That laugh thing he does after messing up is telling, totally shot for confidence. Really interested to see if he'll be persevered with come round 23. Let him build some confidence in the reserves. Laidler gets dropped for a lot less, has to be pressure on his spot.

Perfect for down back. Dunno what took so long. Quite good with his handballs under pressure as well.

I still think he'll come good.

Funny that some commentators (and posters) were praising his performance against Port and now they're shooting him down a week later. Very short memories.

I wasn't one of them I can tell you. I'll praise him when he is not playing as a spare man picking up easy touches that he gives straight back to the opposition. Laidler, Grundy & Shaw all have their moments in spraying a kick but they are usually under the pump trying to transition out of defence with opposition forward pressure baring down on them. He is hanging on by the skin of his orchestra stalls imo and the versatility / height card that is played to justify his selection week in week out is wearing thin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs time in the twos, if he went there racked up a shiz load of touches and some confidence he would come back a different player. At the moment we are flogging a dead horse and wondering why its not doing much.

He reminds me of Jesse White.

Sometimes life is easier when you lower your expectations of the things you have no control over. Reid is one of those things.

Reid being our next LRT has been my hope for the last 12 months.

And he's got to the point where his errors are magnified and his good play is forgotten. I think he's been fine so far this year when playing in defence. He fills space pretty solidly to ward off attacking thrusts or to drift in to take marks, can play on smalls and talls and will make some bad skill errors, that's what he is right now and I'm OK with that if it allows our team to be more versatile (Rampe to push into midfield, Jetta/McVeigh/Rohan can mix and match).

Reid being our next LRT has been my hope for the last 12 months.

And he's got to the point where his errors are magnified and his good play is forgotten. I think he's been fine so far this year when playing in defence. He fills space pretty solidly to ward off attacking thrusts or to drift in to take marks, can play on smalls and talls and will make some bad skill errors, that's what he is right now and I'm OK with that if it allows our team to be more versatile (Rampe to push into midfield, Jetta/McVeigh/Rohan can mix and match).

Yep. I doubt his inclusion in the team would be so controversial if it wasn't for the fact he looked like a potential star at 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back