Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole team lifted when he started attacking the ball & the contest, just proves that it is all mental.

Jessie white did it a few times too

But i liked him taking that shot late, showed he was confident

Jessie white did it a few times too

But i liked him taking that shot late, showed he was confident

Up to him, he can either go down the Jesse White path or play consistently to his ability.
Let's hope its the latter because when he plays like he did in the second half it makes us damn hard to beat.

Seriously... Just going off stats alone. Was his best game ever.

Really looking fwd to seeing first hand once I sober up tomoro........

Quick tip...don't sober up! You won't want to see the game again whilst not having a few under your belt!

He's always been able to take or drop a mark. At least he gets it to ground.

It was his inside work - blocking, tackling, handballs - which were excellent. Played more as a follower after half time - kudos to Horse -which meant more touches than usual, but could also argue this aspect of his game usually goes unnoticed.

How expensive? Any links to confirm the salary? Even ballpark?

Yeah who knows what he's on. All I've heard reported anywhere is more than a million over 5 years. My guess is between 220-260 a year. Given how promising he looked at the time I have no qualms with the club tying him up for that much. Obviously overs in hindsight though

Remember he signed the contract after the 2011 season for it to begin after his rookie contract ended after the 2012 season. So the 5 year contract began in the 2013 season 18 months after it was signed (He is in the 3rd year of the contract). So with that all in mind I doubt its more than 5 years/$1.5 mil keeping in mind when it was signed and the fact it was before the current TV Rights deal kicked in raising the average AFL contract.

I remember $500k per year!! He bought a house in Tamarama. I think it was front loaded so maybe $500k was the first couple of years? They were locking him up so GWS or Gold Coast couldn't raid. Given we have paid this and the front loading, the club would be very reluctant to trade him away.

I think Tippett and Buddy combined with Goodes made it very hard for him as a forward. Destroyed his confidence playing there for too long. Horse has finally realised that a tall 4 forward line does not work. Now we have Heeney who has performed really well half forward, Rohan adding defensive pressure and Goodes in the reserves, our forward structure and balance looks very good. Reid seems to have played the right role last night and performed well against Port a couple of weeks ago in a more defensive role. Therefore my answer to the question is he was dud when competing in the forward line with three of the best forwards in the competition and he has come good when given a role that suits him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back