Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

He is well behind plenty of others on much smaller deals

How much more upside is there

To me he is a defender and thats the mistake we have made
Sure, he could well be a defender as he reads the play well, marks strongly, tackles well, and is a solid field kick. But if we've made a mistake in playing him as a forward, then surely it makes more sense to move him to defence now rather than get rid of him?

The main criticism of Reid is that he struggles with set shots, but this doesn't mean he's a dud. Last year he showed just how valuable he can be, particularly in stints on the wing/defence. The simple fact that we'd have at least 5-6 others clubs compete for him on the open market would indicate his worth to a team structure.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Take a chill pill ffs , it's a little laughter , just cause some don't rate him as high as others doesn't mean you get to carry on like a child
When you repeat it over and over it is no longer funny... It is boring.

Pretty confident I wouldn't be seen as the childish one in regards to this particular issue...

Anyway as RW said let's carry on the discussion...

Reid has played almost 100 games

With him in the team we were struggling to score 100 like ever

What does he add to the forward structure?

He is behind much cheaper options in the afl as a forward, goes gamea without doing much at all
In those same seasons, whilst Reid was out injured, we still struggled to score 100. Our scoring issues didn't come down to one guy.

Every chance? Yeah if only he had every chance Reid has had

Reid is 25 on big money long term deal

Held to no standard because he is tall

Been one of our dumbest contracts in this clubs history thus far

To be fair it is really hard to coach a 5 foot 8 guy to be 6 foot 6.

Don't necessarily disagree with the rest but not nearly as strongly.

You do pay more for tall coordinated guys - there are simply fewer of them.

Forums are for debating (especially an "opinion" thread) so i dont care if people disagree with my POV aslong as it doesnt get personal. Why close the thread if thats what the sole puropose of the thread is.... To debate. I dont think anyone has gotten too personal yet.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
So you're doing it to get even?

Which is in any case childish.

Punts we respect your opinion highly as a poster but to go down the path you have on this topic does yourself a disservice and makes your opinion in this thread kind of pointless. It's not a get-even exercise.

In anycase RW has asked to keep this thread to genuine discussion of the player, so can we please do that?

Parkerman

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
Big Cox, Darling Stand
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool with Kenny Suarez #7
TBH, can see both sides of the story.

Looked to be filling out the broad shoulders of his. Wouldn't want him too top heavy and losing his ability to mark at the "highest point".

I'm a fan, think he has unique qualities, particularly marking and on the wing.

Still waiting for the consistency in his game.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Sam Reid doesn't have the mentality to play as a KPD, nor the capability to deal with the physicality, or the stress that goes with it. He's great on the wing because he doesn't have an opponent, so he's like a 3rd ruckman.

Was he worth his contact? Yes, we won a premiership with him as a KPF and he was great that year, but he's always struggled for confidence since that shoulder injury against North at the start of 2013 when he got slammed. He played most of the season with the injury and it really hurt his game.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Sam Reid should not be persevered with any further than this year unless he gets back and produces something with an impact that contributes to this team going very deep into finals. Complete waste of time and long term money contract. Offload him and with trade ban lifted go after a key defender who does not get hurt at the sight of a Sherrin.Throw the kitchen sink at Hurley.

Sam Reid should not be persevered with any further than this year unless he gets back and produces something with an impact that contributes to this team going very deep into finals. Complete waste of time and long term money contract. Offload him and with trade ban lifted go after a key defender who does not get hurt at the sight of a Sherrin.Throw the kitchen sink at Hurley.

I agree with the Hurley bit but given the druggies trade history can you imagine what they will ask?

It will be interesting to see how many players want out though. There has to be some real deep resentment in the group towards the club.

I agree with the Hurley bit but given the druggies trade history can you imagine what they will ask?

It will be interesting to see how many players want out though. There has to be some real deep resentment in the group towards the club.

Hurley would have the option to become a DFA, meaning we wouldn't have to give up anything for him! (Apart from an overblown salary most likely).

Hurley would have the option to become a DFA, meaning we wouldn't have to give up anything for him! (Apart from an overblown salary most likely).

Refresh my memory. Do we have form in giving people weird contracts?

Wow... that's ridiculously harsh on Reid.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

Can we sell Bird a second time? They seem to have forgotten he is on their list so this may be an opportunity.

Reid was brilliant late in the season.

I don't know what games you blokes were watching. Him going down against Freo changed the game (I watched it happen right in front of me)

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Poor Reid. I'm going to back him in, I'll happily wear it if he doesn't deliver. I've already expressed my views on him so I won't repeat them here.

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Wow... that's ridiculously harsh on Reid.

It depends on what you consider ridiculous. Harsh it is not. He has been ridiculously disappointing on what he has delivered based on the enormous athletic ability he possesses and harsh is failure to show a smidgen of the worth of the over the top long term contract he was gifted. Having a soft body is just bad luck but in no way a get out clause. Don't hold your breath for him to come good because you will self combust.

It depends on what you consider ridiculous. Harsh it is not. He has been ridiculously disappointing on what he has delivered based on the enormous athletic ability he possesses and harsh is failure to show a smidgen of the worth of the over the top long term contract he was gifted. Having a soft body is just bad luck but in no way a get out clause. Don't hold your breath for him to come good because you will self combust.
I guess we all have our own opinions on different players, but I wouldn't have thought Reid would be one who we'd be keen to use as trade bait. The only possible reason would be if we were concerned about continuing soft tissue injuries. As a player he has grown well over the past few seasons and was a crucial cog towards the end of last season. He put in some strong plays during stints in the midfield/wing areas, as well as spending time covering CHB.

Reid's main issue is that some people hyped him up to be the next big thing. If you look at his actual output, as a 24 year old, then he has been a very handy part of the team. Half the guys of his size and frame don't even make the first team until they're 21-22.

Back