Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Injury prone ? When someone suggested that it was hey he played 20 games a year

So we can only compare Reid to people drafted lower than him? How about Taylor walker then year older but had injury problems too
Taylor Walker is shenanigans (NSW academy pick). Try comparing him to Ben Brown, drafted lower, less time on a list etc

Taylor Walker is shenanigans (NSW academy pick). Try comparing him to Ben Brown, drafted lower, less time on a list etc

We need a equal to lower drafted player who is injured a fair bit but not injury prone.
Is a forward but also a wingman backman ruckman and therefore cannot be compared to pure forwards

Also needs a grand final goal, that is weighted heavily

We need a equal to lower drafted player who is injured a fair bit but not injury prone.
Is a forward but also a wingman backman ruckman and therefore cannot be compared to pure forwards

Mate I am trying to find one but your specifications are making it ******* hard

I tried Mitch McGovern (drafted lower, kicked more goals in his first year than any year of Reid's career, swingman) but he isn't injury prone

Josh Walker doesn't have a GF goal but ticks most of your boxes I think

Westhoff?

Does it have to be a current player or can they be retired?

This thread has turned into a self-obsessed wankfest its embarrassing.
This thread might not be in our top 5 threads but it is better than that one about weddings, and it is making a contribution in our best 22 threads.

Call me a hater if you want, but if you make that statement you are really calling for some "lesser" comparisons to be made:

Tyrone "spud" Vickery was regarded as playing like a complete hack in 2016. He averaged 1.5 goals per game, ahead of Reid's career best year. That is 3 years in a row where Vickery has averaged more goals than Reid's best year.

Mason Cox, an American convert who had literally never picked up a Sherrin 3 years ago, also averaged more goals than Reid's career best.

Josh Walker, a good honest trier but a desperately limited footballer, also outdid Reid's best year in 2016 despite the massive handicap of playing for Brisbane.

Jay Schulz, another good honest trier, rattled off 7 consecutive seasons better than Reid's best ever, and was the leading goalscorer for his club 4 times.

Ben Brown, a good comparison because he was taken at a very similar point in the draft to Reid, shot past him in his 1st season and has outperformed Reid's best year in all 3 years of his career.

Jack Redpath, a former rookie-lister who has only played 25 games at the age of 26, averaged more goals in the past 2 years than Reid's best season.

Now I know goal stats aren't everything, and they're certainly no match for cherry picking a mark on the goal line or making vague statements like "watch the game and you'll see X player is better", but you'll agree I have not exactly listed the AFL's best forwards or All-Australians.

Can I get an amen!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep and 58 pages of that is posts that are smugly dismissive and intolerant of the opinions others when its not the same as the posters.

I disagree with your opinion.

You're all lucky RW isn't here to yell "off-topic"

Please return to the thread topic of finding comparison players to Sam Reid

What i find amusing is that the player we're judging was picked at chf in our greatest ever achievement in 2012, whilst white and everitt looked on from the grandstand.

Neither of those 2 would have taken the mark from the kick in when we couldn't get it out of defensive 50 in the last few minutes. Doubtful either would have kicked that goal on the run in the 2nd.

He's hasn't been worth the 500k we pay him, he's not gonna be a Wayne Carey, in fact he might not be better than jesse white but one thing is for certain if he plays all season he will be a massive upgrade on x richards.

Problem is club saw him as a great white hope and signed him long term, think they are desperate to make it work, not much difference between him and XR really, just stuck with this terrible contract
The great white hope was called Jesse who you apparently prefer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back