Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
17. Sam Rowe

rowe_sam_o.png

DOB: 19/11/1987

Height: 198cm

Weight: 96kg

Draft History: Pick 60 (Sydney), 2006 Rookie Draft. Pick 44 (Carlton), 2011 National Draft

Recruited From: North Albury/Murray U18/Sydney Rookie List/Norwood

Debut: Yet to Debut

Career Highlights: Video to be provided

2013 Forecast:

• Banned
Draft: What the Blues say
Hughes says: "We watched Sam last year and were actually going to pick him as a rookie a year ago, but he had a year to go on his carpentry apprenticeship. So, in fairness to his long-term welfare, he said he'd rather try to finish his apprenticeship. I actually told him he was going to get picked five or six weeks ago because he was going to Europe for a holiday."
Draft: What the Blues say

Rowe's long road
"We identified his talent last year and he fitted some of the positions we've been screaming out for, and we kept in contact with him through the year," Ratten said.

"The confidence that we took out of Duigan this year was important, and Nick shows him that you can come in and fit into the team really well and quickly."

As well as Rowe's skills - his kicking is his standout feature - Ratten was most impressed with Rowe's competitive instincts, something the coach believes has developed out of his unusual path to the top level.

"There's no doubt that players now sometimes have to go through the system, go out and then come back after waiting a few years," Ratten said.

"But the talent is there and it's good to see players get a second chance."
Rowe's long road

Another mature Redleg off to AFL
He says he will use Carlton's push for success - and the chance to play alongside Chris Judd, Bryce Gibbs and Marc Murphy - as a carrot to try and get into the side.

"It's huge motivation.

"It's not a rebuilding team ... they're a genuine chance next year.

"If I can break into that team it'd be absolutely brilliant.

"They're heading towards success and hopefully I can be a part of that."
Another mature Redleg off to AFL

Rowevember reign
“My heart was really flying, and I actually didn’t believe it until it happened. I’m very excited, very relieved. I can’t wait to get over there really. I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I really want to get across and get into it.”

“I’m stoked to come across and catch up with ‘Duigs’ again. He’s told me how good the Carlton Football Club is and he can’t recommend it highly enough,” Rowe said.

“That’s good enough for me. If he says it’s good, it’s good".

Rowe rated himself “a pretty competitive player”.

“I really try to crash into packs and crash into people, and make my presence felt. I’m just a passionate player who tries to do his best.”
Rowevember reign

The first photo of new recruit Sam Rowe in a @Carlton_FC jumper. Navy Blue suits him! #CarltonDraft #IAMCARLTON

AfE9aJ5CMAA_th1.jpg

CFC TV: Sam Rowe Highlights

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/cfc tv/tabid/10443/contentid/405941/default.aspx

[YOUTUBE]GKsq4NiUQ14[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/cfc tv/tabid/10443/contentid/406799/default.aspx

How's he fairing? Haven't heard much on him recently. I guess there's no chance of him getting a crack against GWS then?

Great news for Sam. As he can not play footy for the rest of the season, him and JC came up with a goal, something to aim for and they chose the Sydney City to surf. He's going to give it a go this weekend and work up some fitness.

Currently in remission and been training for about a month now
Good on ya Sam, Can't wait to see you debut for us mate!

Great news for Sam. As he can not play footy for the rest of the season, him and JC came up with a goal, something to aim for and they chose the Sydney City to surf. He's going to give it a go this weekend and work up some fitness.

Currently in remission and been training for about a month now
Good on ya Sam, Can't wait to see you debut for us mate!

Great to see Sam happy and upbeat, sad to see any young person go through this type of illness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cancer fighter Sam Rowe pushing for selection to play Thursday

SAM Rowe is expected to make his AFL debut for Carlton on Thursday night, less than 12 months after being diagnosed with testicular cancer.

With Jarrad Waite's short-term availability unknown because of a persistent calf injury, 198cm Rowe has emerged as a forward-line target along with Levi Casboult and either Robbie Warnock or Shaun Hampson.

Cancer fighter Sam Rowe pushing for selection to play Thursday

What a fantastic story this is turning out to see. I said a long way back that it puts a smile to the face just seeing him out on the park, no matter how far he goes now in his AFL career.

Would be absolutely magnificent to see him out there on Thursday night.

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

Sam set for senior debut
“I’m a better person for everything I’ve been through so I’m not ever going to complain about anything that’s happened to me,” Rowe said after a training session today at Visy Park.

“I feel very lucky that I get to play on Sunday and to be the person that I am.”

“A couple of days ago Mick said I was probably going to come in, so I’ve had a pretty good idea,” Rowe said. “I was excited to hear. I’d been working towards this all pre-season and I was hoping for it.

“There’s a little bit of relief there also. It’s been a long time coming. I’ve been here, there and everywhere to get to this point, so there’s relief and a little bit of satisfaction.”

“I don’t want to just be the guy who had cancer and played a game,” he said. “I’d rather be known as a good footy player who played a lot of footy to come.
Sam set for senior debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back