Remove this Banner Ad

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Sad to see any player retire due to injury or illness, let alone a Crow. Sam was a polarising player on this board, but his 2012 form showed that he could have been quite a good footballer.
Good luck to Sam with whatever comes next and his health.

Last edited:
What a rotten way to have your AFL career end and shows the seriousness of concussion. Was capable of holding down an opponent and contributing to our team on his best day, although we didn't see a lot of him.

I hope for the best for Sam's future.

I must say that although I was not fan of Sam his commitment was never questioned. It's sad to see a player retire because of injuries and I wish him well in whatever he does next.

Looked like being a player at one stage :(

Shocking luck over an extended period. Not fair. I hope his quality of life beyond football is not affected by the concussions this season.

One of the saddest days today ......as President of the Sam Shaw admiration club .....it's so sad to see a future "champion" retire :(:(:(.....:'(:'(:'(

I now know what supporters felt the day the great John Coleman was forced to retire ......but lived on as a legend

Not a good day, in hindsight it would have been better had he ripped his hammy off the bone his first game back after the op. Could definitely play, was very clean at pace below his knees for a big guy, sad we never got to see him at his best for extended periods. Hope it's only heavy excercise that causes the lethargy and that his life, outside of being able to run marathons, is not affected by his concussion complications.

One of the saddest days today ......as President of the Sam Shaw admiration club .....it's so sad to see a future "champion" retire :(:(:(.....:'(:'(:'(

I now know what supporters felt the day the great John Coleman was forced to retire ......but lived on as a legend

I'm with you Wayne...best of luck to Sam in his future life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to see Sam go. Does this now mean we will have spaces on our list. Delisted free agent or maybe upgrading greenwood?

I hope the club, the AFL and Player association look after Sam in the future. His well being is paramount and goes beyond football.

Sad to see Sam go. Does this now mean we will have spaces on our list. Delisted free agent or maybe upgrading greenwood?
It means that we now have 6 vacancies on our senior list.

We have several options available to us:
  1. Signing Delisted Free Agents. The big problem here is that none of them appear to be players of interest to Adelaide.
  2. Make 6 selections in the National Draft, 2 selections in the Rookie Draft (default option)
  3. Make 5 selections in the National Draft, 3 selections in the Rookie Draft, upgrade 1 "nominated" rookie to the senior list (probably Beech)
  4. Make 4 selections in the National Draft, 4 selections in the Rookie Draft, upgrade 2 "nominated" rookies to the senior list (probably Beech & Greenwood)
We can't upgrade any further rookies on a permanent basis, the way that O'Brien has been upgraded. The window for that closed on 31st October. We can go 1 (or 2) player(s) short on the senior list, with 1 (or 2) rookie(s) upgraded as "nominated" rookies. This is the same as a normal mid-season rookie upgrade, except that it doesn't require a senior listed player on the LTI list. As with a normal mid-season upgrade, the nominated rookie would return to the rookie list at the end of the 2017 season (i.e. the upgrade is only temporary).

My guess is that the club will go with option #2 or option #3, with #3 being a strong favourite.

Reminds me of another former player, Scott Stevens, who had his career cut short by repeated concussions.

Out of curiosity, does anybody have any idea how he's going these days? Been a few years since he's retired, I hope he isn't having any ongoing, long-term health issues as a result of his injuries.

Reminds me of another former player, Scott Stevens, who had his career cut short by repeated concussions.

Out of curiosity, does anybody have any idea how he's going these days? Been a few years since he's retired, I hope he isn't having any ongoing, long-term health issues as a result of his injuries.

I recall reading a report about a year back saying he was doing okay.

I wish him the best but this probably needed to happen a while ago. Every club has a responsibility to rehabilitate players after injury and give them the best shot of making it back into the senior side but eventually something has to give. The last time I saw Shaw play AFL quality football was all the way back in 2012. 4 years is simply way too long to be in the wilderness.

It means that we now have 6 vacancies on our senior list.

We have several options available to us:
  1. Signing Delisted Free Agents. The big problem here is that none of them appear to be players of interest to Adelaide.
  2. Make 6 selections in the National Draft, 2 selections in the Rookie Draft (default option)
  3. Make 5 selections in the National Draft, 3 selections in the Rookie Draft, upgrade 1 "nominated" rookie to the senior list (probably Beech)
  4. Make 4 selections in the National Draft, 4 selections in the Rookie Draft, upgrade 2 "nominated" rookies to the senior list (probably Beech & Greenwood)
We can't upgrade any further rookies on a permanent basis, the way that O'Brien has been upgraded. The window for that closed on 31st October. We can go 1 (or 2) player(s) short on the senior list, with 1 (or 2) rookie(s) upgraded as "nominated" rookies. This is the same as a normal mid-season rookie upgrade, except that it doesn't require a senior listed player on the LTI list. As with a normal mid-season upgrade, the nominated rookie would return to the rookie list at the end of the 2017 season (i.e. the upgrade is only temporary).

My guess is that the club will go with option #2 or option #3, with #3 being a strong favourite.

Well put, I do like option 3
It could all come down to who's available at pick 89 and 107, and if they can wait to rookie the players they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back