Sam Shaw still at AFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honest question, how is it that Sam Shaw was retained on the list along with Andy Otten. Neither look like being decent backup next season, is it due to a complete lack of cover that these guys were retained.

Shaw must be borderline medically given the concussions, although i like him as a player. He did not get a game at all in 2016 and from memory only a couple in 2015.

Otten looks slower than Mitch Grigg and a mile off being able to hold a raft of young forwards in the competition.

Apart from Keith is there anyone else that could play the defender role or does the club need to look at a KPD at the draft?

Last edited:

dumb thread .....plenty of other threads to post your thoughts
Yes Thread Master.

This is to discuss Sam in particular which is a legitimate thread discussion.

I can't believe he is a Free Agent next year, horrible list management that we have got this far for so little return.

Yes Thread Master.

I can't believe he is a Free Agent next year, horrible list management that we have got this far for so little return.
That's because he deliberately concussed himself this year

The silver lining is that we already have 2 future delistees next year right off the bat.
Only 2? I can think of 4 or 5 who won't be around in 2018.

Otten, Shaw, Kelly and Thompson are almost certain to be playing their last AFL seasons in 2017. CEY has a better chance than those 4, but still has a lot of work ahead of him if he's to get another contract.

Only 2? I can think of 4 or 5 who won't be around in 2018.

Otten, Shaw, Kelly and Thompson are almost certain to be playing their last AFL seasons in 2017. CEY has a better chance than those 4, but still has a lot of work ahead of him if he's to get another contract.

Gore would want to get a wriggle on too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Thread Master.

To discuss Sam Shaw's place on the list which can be done in other threads

IMO we do start to many similar types of threads on our board

To discuss Sam Shaw's place on the list which can be done in other threads

IMO we do start to many similar types of threads on our board
Easy choice, don't read them. I don't think it's up to others to decide what thread gets started unless there are other repeat threads, such as more than 1 thread on Shaw.

If people aren't interested it will disappear soon enough.

Sorry Mods but when supporters like I want to discuss a player, a dedicated thread appears logical. The general list management thread is good for exactly that, general list discussions in my opinion. When it comes to Sam he is truly perplexing for me. Arguably delist candidate last year, somehow got an extension, 2 years no less. He has gone back even further and I would have said the club is on thin ice playing him at all with the concussions.

There are defenders on other lists, DFA's and the draft but the club stuck with Sam. Further added to my confusion by keeping Otten.

My contention is that the club has said nothing about Sam's health when I would have thought an update and a "doctors say he is right to go next year" is needed if they are retaining him.

I would like to know what the minimum amount of games played over 7 odd years at a club is. Sam must be close to the record.

Honest question, how is it that Sam Shaw was retained on the list along with Andy Otten. Neither look like being decent backup next season, is it due to a complete lack of cover that these guys were retained.

Shaw must be borderline medically given the concussions, although i like him as a player. He did not get a game at all in 2016 and from memory only a couple in 2015.

Otten looks slower than Mitch Grigg and a mile off being able to hold a raft of young forwards in the competition.

Apart from Keith is there anyone else that could play the defender role or does the club need to look at a KPD at the draft?

I think the main reasons the contracts were done to the length they were, were:

1) to make sure we didn't prematurely lose talent coming back from injury, ie we didn't want them to just get healthy, then find out they've still got it, only for them to leave to someone else, making us look lik dils.

2)because we still have a relatively young /inexperienced squad we need to have a fair bit of it tied up, so we can turn it over on our terms, rather than potentially lose a heap and stuff up rebalancing our list, yep, these guys might not be great, but there isn't a heap equal to them just lying around available in the rookie or PSD

I've never understood why we gave both Otten and Shaw two year contracts. They're both ridiculously injury prone; surely we had choose which one we thought would offer better value (ie actually get on the park) and give the other only one year.

In that case it would likely be Shaw packing his bags but he stays on for now. Fingers and toes crossed he gets back to full fitness and shows us what he can do with a decent hamstring. If fit, he'd be my preferred back-up KPD right now if Hartigan or Talia were injured/suspended.

Keath to hopefully become a First XXII candidate this year.

Shaw had a great start to the year before his head issues. Must be looking okay medically which is great news - if he gets on the park he is an asset.

Im more concerned with Thommo being listed over Henderson. Only one of these guys can offer something in 2017 and its not Thommo.

Neither deserve to still be on the list. Delisting Henderson was the absolute right move, it just doesn't look quite as good if Thommo's still around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back