Delisted Sam Skinner (2015-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Reviews: Sam Skinner, Dan McStay & Tom Cutler
#21 - Sam Skinner

Sam Skinner completed one amazing comeback story in 2018. After experiencing almost every high and low of professional sport in his past three years, Skinner travelled to Philadelphia in March to visit world-renowned reconditioning expert Bill Knowles as he underwent his third rehab for a torn ACL.

Resilience and determination saw the 20-year-old make his long-awaited return to football in June, running out onto the Gabba in the NEAFL against the GWS Giants in Round 12. Skinner went on to play 10 NEAFL games for the season, averaging 14.6 disposals and 5.2 marks per match.

One of his best performances came during the elimination final against Aspley. Skinner was desperate in defence, toiling hard with his defensive marks and spoils to be named amongst the Lions' best on the day. Skinner's aggression in defence was a great addition for the Lions NEAFL side in 2018. As he looks forward to a full pre-season ahead, Lions fans will be excitedly waiting to see what this determined Lion can achieve in 2019.

NEAFL matches: 10

The unseen: Who is yet to play senior footy at your club in 2019?
Sam Skinner: This is the first full season Skinner has had since being drafted in 2015. Played both forward and back and has been in selection consideration a couple of times. Is pushing for a new contract.

Who might play in 2019? With a reliable squad of 28-30 players to choose from, injury is the only avenue for any of the above to get a call-up. Lyons, Skinner and Berry are the most likely candidates if injury should strike.

Liked this kid in his draft year & thought the Hawks might have asked the question on him at the end of last year.
Looking forward to see how he goes at senior level.

Probably not shown as much improvement this year as they would have hoped for. And we now have a bit more competition among the younger KPP's. With another preseason under his belt, tipping next year will be his breakout year.

dlanod or anyone else who might know.

How long can Sam spend on the rookie list, seeing as he was senior listed before?

Is it still 3 years?

He won’t need three years. He’ll only be there 1 year. Will be upgraded next year after becoming the first player picked every week in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Six depart the Den

The Brisbane Lions have advised five players they will not be offered a contract for the 2021 AFL season.

Sam Skinner, Matthew Eagles, Toby Wooller, Jacob Allison and Corey Lyons were informed of the decisions during end-of-season meetings carried out this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of knew this was coming and its a shame. Could he be picked up elsewhere?

Think this is it. Really wanted a happy ending to his story but it was pretty clear he'd lost a lot of mobility. I guess to put it in perspective, he reinforced how much we need the guy a bunch of posters on our board hate.
Wish him nothing but the best in life.

I have been dropping his name on the Hawks board for a number of years and have finally turned a few around I think.
sounds like a ripping kid with shitty luck.
I hope he gets at least 1 more crack at senior footy as I recon he’d be one of those guys that no matter who you supported you would enjoy watching him play.
Good luck Sam

Who's training where
North Melbourne has invited delisted AFL players Flynn Appleby (Collingwood) and Sam Skinner (Brisbane) to train with them during the pre-season after 11 and three senior games respectively.

Port Adelaide has signed free agent Sam Skinner for the 2022 AFL season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back