Sam Skinner and Flynn Appleby

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've been on the Skinner bandwagon for a long time, and Comben's injury status combined with Swallow_Wood 's training assessments means I'm more certain than ever that he would be a great pick-up.

Still, we have until early March to make the decision, and I think it would be a bit crazy to sign anybody up until the last minute. It just isn't worth the risk of something going wrong in the next 6 weeks.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've been on the Skinner bandwagon for a long time, and Comben's injury status combined with Swallow_Wood 's training assessments means I'm more certain than ever that he would be a great pick-up.

Still, we have until early March to make the decision, and I think it would be a bit crazy to sign anybody up until the last minute. It just isn't worth the risk of something going wrong in the next 6 weeks.
Yeah, he just looks like a good-un. Mobile, hard, tackles like a beast, great athletic profile. Haven't really seen much game sense stuff though, so will need to see some of that before I am sure he is a go to recruit.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Only risk (assumption) is that these players are DFA regardless of their training status.

So if another club snaps up Skinner there goes the tall depth option we've been scrutinising over the preseason.

This might be an acceptable risk but one worth remembering, especially with us being down to 4x fit KPP (Larkey, Tarrant, Walker, McKay) on the list to cover all roles with 2x needing to cover mandatory KPD slots.

Otherwise Todd or Campbell are having to spend significant time as KPFs unless we want to break Larkey in half.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only risk (assumption) is that these players are DFA regardless of their training status.

So if another club snaps up Skinner there goes the tall depth option we've been scrutinising over the preseason.

This might be an acceptable risk but one worth remembering, especially with us being down to 4x fit KPP (Larkey, Tarrant, Walker, McKay) on the list to cover all roles with 2x needing to cover mandatory KPD slots.

Otherwise Todd or Campbell are having to spend significant time as KPFs unless we want to break Larkey in half.
Yeah except you'd think with North training skinner that we'd be his first choice option and would give us a chance to sign him before another club does.
He obviously has to agree to the other clubs contract.
Noble has brought him over with him so knows what the kid can do if fit.
Given his injury worry the club wont sign him until late feb/march I reckon.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yeah, Xerri is the other one I guess. But with SS only 23, and reputedly of excellent character, it would be a shame to miss out on him.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yeah except you'd think with North training skinner that we'd be his first choice option and would give us a chance to sign him before another club does.
He obviously has to agree to the other clubs contract.
Noble has brought him over with him so knows what the kid can do if fit.
Given his injury worry the club wont sign him until late feb/march I reckon.

I'm completely guessing but I'd guess AFL opportunity trumps potential loyalty.

If Hawthorn throw him a 1 year lifeline I reckon we wouldn't see him for dust.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Yeh, as much as like kicking Hawthorn as much as the next person, my point was that I don't think a player is going to hang around the club they're training at in the 'hope' they land a gig via the SPP if another club offers them a contract right now.
Agreed. Suspect we and most clubs have more of an eye on those interim drafts though so if it costs us a Skinner sobeit.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Good call OP- will play pre-season.

Edit; will be partnering Larkey

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I’ve said it already, he looks like Tom Hawkins.

This means I set fairly low expectations - just the 2 premierships for us as a key forward.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone got any training photos of skinner? I cant find any on this thread.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone got any training photos of skinner? I cant find any on this thread.

I tell ya he gives me a run for my money lol he's a big unit.

1612248540366.png

Back