Sam Skinner and Flynn Appleby

Remove this Banner Ad

Mid year draft, 2 years ago.....it comes to our pick, and we have two names from which to pick. Lachie Hosie and Jake Riccardi. Bumbling Joyce selects Hosie, who was quickly anointed as the new Blight.

This thread would be moot had have we made the proper choice.

The Hosie pick was boneheaded to begin with, and then despite him showing a little at VFL level, he couldn't push his way into a struggling team. It was almost as if we had no intention of playing him, all we did was ruin a SANFL club's season and threaten the future of the mid-season draft.

is callow the 194cm 100kg+ player? If so plonk him at ff and can be a devastating weapon. But where does this leave josh walker. Perhaps the reason we are not picking up another big tall is because of a surplus in walker. He is too good to be left out due to the tarrant, corr, mackay already in the backline. Walker at ff and larkey at chf can work very well imo.
Let's be honest; at this point walker will be a depth player with consistent stints in the best 22 when needed.

The Hosie pick was boneheaded to begin with, and then despite him showing a little at VFL level, he couldn't push his way into a struggling team. It was almost as if we had no intention of playing him, all we did was ruin a SANFL club's season and threaten the future of the mid-season draft.
Was so stupid it almost defied belief.

I don't get a lot of these list fill selections.

I figure you should go with a proven veteran who hasn't found a home. Why we didn't look at a Shaun Mckernan or someone like that puzzles me.

There's list age demographics and then there's just pure speculating.

Glenelg won the flag the year we drafted Hosie so he missed out on that. It's a classic lose-lose situation.

Tarrant is gonna be under siege down there this year. At his age I'd be tempted to give him a break and let him play forward.

Yep, and finally give Durdin a good run at it as a key defender alongside McKay. Oh wait...oops

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tarrant is gonna be under siege down there this year. At his age I'd be tempted to give him a break and let him play forward.
Please please please...
Larkey and Tarrant could be a nice combo for a couple of seasons, or at least till we develop another understudy.

Corr, McKay and Walker have a number of years ahead of them.

Please please please...
Larkey and Tarrant could be a nice combo for a couple of seasons, or at least till we develop another understudy.

Corr, McKay and Walker have a number of years ahead of them.
I have doubts that they would pull the pin on Taz the forward. The only reason they might is if Xerri doesn't work out up forward, as I don't see Walker playing forward again at AFL level.

If we had another tall defender pushing for selection in defence I could see taz moving forward but right now its not happening.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you see all of Tarrant, Walker, Corr and McKay playing defence together?

IMO walker is the odd man out. McKay for the gorillas, Taz on the second best tall with some rebound/intercepting, Corr on a medium and attacking with his speed.

No sleight on Walker, he was impressive last year, but Taz is the king, McKay the heir apparent, and Corr looks to be a younger upgrade with more versatility than Walker. With the current question marks over Xerri's health right now I would be going hard on trying to make Walker than forward/ruck we're seemingly considering running with.

This round one team is going to be a trip.

Can you see all of Tarrant, Walker, Corr and McKay playing defence together?
IMO walker is the odd man out. McKay for the gorillas, Taz on the second best tall with some rebound/intercepting, Corr on a medium and attacking with his speed.

No sleight on Walker, he was impressive last year, but Taz is the king, McKay the heir apparent, and Corr looks to be a younger upgrade with more versatility than Walker. With the current question marks over Xerri's health right now I would be going hard on trying to make Walker than forward/ruck we're seemingly considering running with.

Agree with devington, Walker 100% the odd one out.

Agree with devington, Walker 100% the odd one out.
He was one of the best intercept markers in the league last year and we’re going to leave him out?
I can see the merit in moving him forward.

personally I think he is his suited behind the ball.
Slow as a ox, but sets up smartly down the line.
Also field kicking needs work, not the best option to have marking 70m out and delivering into the forward line.

Certainly going to be a tough call from the coaches box.

He was one of the best intercept markers in the league last year and we’re going to leave him out?

Also field kicking needs work, not the best option to have marking 70m out and delivering into the forward line.

The backline balance is going to be interesting. I'm worried about the top-heavy approach with Ziebell back there too, but our small defender/rebounder depth isn't sufficient enough atm to warrant him moving back to the forward line.

L Mac - McKay - Taz
Ziebell - Corr - Atley

Hayden/Young? TT as the utility option and in the back line for spurts?

Depth: Young, Perez, Josh Walker, Patrick Walker and maybe Atu.

Forward line poses its own issues. Definitely need some additional KPP depth in this mid-season draft.

Hard to run with four big defenders, hell there's question marks by some with us running with 3 + JZ. Unless someone is injured I just can't make a case for leaving any of the other three big lads out, I think they have better toolsets. And it's a shame that Walker is looking to be the odd man out because I agree his form probably won't carry over that well, at least initially, when played consistently as a forward. Forward + Ruck relief though, freeing up Larkey, I see some merit to it and wouldn't be shocked to see us go that way.

Like I said, the round one team is going to be crazy to see. A lot of ways we could go, and that was before we had fitness/injury question marks over so many players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back