Universal Love Sam Walsh - 2021 AFLPA 22U22 captain, 2021 All-Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Think it’s well and truely time that some of us, that were in the “Walsh was to vanilla “ and lacked the match winning traits that Rankin and Smith had, to concede that Walsh was absolutely the right pick for us and the clear cut best player of that draft at this point.

May be he doesn’t have the jaw dropping flashy match winning highlights, although just quietly he’s even improving that aspect of he’s game too, but he has something that’s even better and that’s the blue heart he plays with, this is the type of kid you build a football club around, his leadership, football IQ, work ethic are all off the charts, he will captain our footballer club one day, he not only makes other players better with the style of player he is, constantly pushing himself from contest to contest to provide support, but when your clubs super star young player puts in like this, it also inspires the whole group, it pushes the team mates to push themselves and get the most out of themselves also.

For a 3rd year player to step up like that and lead our midfield in a do or die game for the club, it’s crazy good.
The pies are trash this year it’s true, but the midfield is one area they are still pretty stacked and Walsh put them to the sword, he was a clear level above any other player on the ground.

I’m ready to put my hand up and say I was wrong, I was all for us taking Rankin with pick one, even had Smith ahead as I thought he was more of a contested beast midfielder and showed an ability to be a very dangerous forward treat as well, I didn’t by any means not rate Walsh highly, just rated the other two prospects higher and viewed the hole in our forward line for a small or medium forward was just as big as the one in our midfield.

I didn’t hate the Walsh pick, but remember at the at the time,
I really wanted SOS to trade for GCS picks 3 and 6, on paper that may still even look better in theory, but when you’re young gun player, plays with such obvious heart and passion, you could just tell they love the footy club, these intangibles transcend natural talent and teams on paper.

Another knock on Walsh was a perceived lack of upside LOL, this kids getting better game by game and at 21yo far from the finished product,
Sam Walsh is going to be a massive problem for opposition teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extraordinary to think there isn't a Sam Walsh thread around.

I'll put my hand up and say I was happy to trade it for Dylan Shiel and something else back from Essendon at the time. thank god I am not a list manager. All the talk was there was no chance any club would trade that pick due to how consistently good Sam would become which was a thought held by all 18 clubs. Now we know why. From the first time I saw him play in the scratch match against Hawthorn at Ikon Park I knew what the fuss was about and since then he's just got better and better and better.

runs 15ks a game consistently
wins hard balls
is brilliant by hand and foot now
kicks clutch goals
runs two ways always
wins 30 touches a game in year 3 already, probably would have done it from day dot if he was on the footy

I said it in the game day thread he is a perfect blend of Ben Cousins running and ball carrying ability and Michael Voss ball winning ability, courage and decision making. An unbelievably driven competitor, trainer and all round professional. 21 years old only and fingers crossed the world of injury is kind to him as if he keeps on this path as Dangerfield said he'll literally be one of the best ever.

this is the type of character and player that lifts your whole club and is only satisfied with multiple premierships to their name, thank god we have him and my hope is that we talk about him in the same vernacular as Big Nick and Sticks once his career ends as that's what he deserves as a player.

I'll put my hand up and say I was happy to trade it for Dylan Shiel and something else back from Essendon at the time. thank god I am not a list manager. All the talk was there was no chance any club would trade that pick due to how consistently good Sam would become which was a thought held by all 18 clubs. Now we know why. From the first time I saw him play in the scratch match against Hawthorn at Ikon Park I knew what the fuss was about and since then he's just got better and better and better.

runs 15ks a game consistently
wins hard balls
is brilliant by hand and foot now
kicks clutch goals
runs two ways always
wins 30 touches a game in year 3 already, probably would have done it from day dot if he was on the footy

I said it in the game day thread he is a perfect blend of Ben Cousins running and ball carrying ability and Michael Voss ball winning ability, courage and decision making. An unbelievably driven competitor, trainer and all round professional. 21 years old only and fingers crossed the world of injury is kind to him as if he keeps on this path as Dangerfield said he'll literally be one of the best ever.

this is the type of character and player that lifts your whole club and is only satisfied with multiple premierships to their name, thank god we have him and my hope is that we talk about him in the same vernacular as Big Nick and Sticks once his career ends as that's what he deserves as a player.
cant wait for him to get bigger, he will be soooo dominant. Players will bounce off him

Wonder what he will cost contract wise, surely $850,000+ which is quite amazing for a 21 year old kid.

God bless him and to think we bungled our way into getting him back in 2018, I'm sure no-one at the club expected to finish last, but Gibbs and Doch out, hurt us really bad.

Next captain, just a matter of when, I'd be thinking mid 20's.

* yeah. ;)

How good has Sam's kicking been this season? From field kicking to his inside 50s, is just so consistent and places the kick to perfection majority of the time.
Exhibit 1: Walsh wins the centre clearance (the one after his amazing goal), and directs it perfectly into space for Harry to run into and mark.
Exhibit 2: Was on the HB flank and it looked like he was just going long and high down the line. He pulled the kick at the last second which was centimetre perfect to SPS.

should have taken lukosius - word is he knows just what it takes to make our pro blush..........

I was a big fan of Luko. And still am.

It's still VERY early in his career and he is performing extremely well so far for a young tall in a poor side. And he will get much better.

But there is something gnawing at me. Does he lack something? A killer instinct? Appetite for body contact?

His running is great. His kicking is beautiful. But I think he ends up being a tall winger/HBF than a KPP. Which is fine. He could be an AA running machine with elite R50 and I50 delivery. But I think he's more Andrew Gaff than Jeremy McGovern or Josh Kennedy.

Disclaimer: He should get bigger and stronger over the next few years and his game could easily develop to the opposite of what I have described.

When we drafted him, I thought he might be Cotchin 2.0 - A very neat, consistent, rounded footballer that didn't necessarily rip games apart.

After his first pre-season (and reports from an unnamed glass pane poster), I upgraded that to Robert Harvey - an absolute ball magnet and model of consistency.

After his first season I thought he might be Joel Selwood 2.0 - this kid can win the ball at the coalface

Now I realise he is going to be Sam Walsh 1.0. I have given up trying to guess how good that is going to be.

I am not saying he is the best midfielder out there. But he is one of the most complete. He can do the tough stuff inside but he can run all day on a wing. He can kick goals, but take intercept marks down back. His vision is elite. He always knows where other players are and knows where to deliver the ball before his teammates even arrive in that spot. Most elite mids end up being one-way weapons. But Sam chases and tackles and harasses and runs both ways. He is constantly moving and in play.

13 months ago, he was a teenager. Let that sink in.

He is going to get tagged, but most won't be able to keep up. He is going to be a monster. I can't wait to see what he can do over the next decade for the Blues.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good has Sam's kicking been this season? From field kicking to his inside 50s, is just so consistent and places the kick to perfection majority of the time.
Exhibit 1: Walsh wins the centre clearance (the one after his amazing goal), and directs it perfectly into space for Harry to run into and mark.
Exhibit 2: Was on the HB flank and it looked like he was just going long and high down the line. He pulled the kick at the last second which was centimetre perfect to SPS.

This is one area I was slightly worried about. I am no longer worried.

In his u18 days, I saw (youtubed) him missing a lot of targets. It wasn't that he was a bad kick, but that perhaps he was a little ambitious. He would kick to where the player should lead to. Quite often it would fall short. I see this happening less and less.

I don't know if he has worked on his kicking, but I think he has either a) recalibrated kicking to teammates or b) AFL players are better are positioning and leading.

I saw (and marvelled at) both the SPS and McKay kicks you referred to. I think the key here is it's his decision making as much as his kicking skills. I think he finds targets better than most. And that's what helps him hit targets.

I’m ready to put my hand up and say I was wrong, I was all for us taking Rankine with pick one

Ditto (after sitting on the Lukosius fence for much off the year).

Specifically I wanted us to split 1 into (picks in the 3 and 6 range) for two bites at the cherry, knowing 1 of Rankine, Luko or Walsh would be available at 3, and 1 of the Kings, Smith or Rozee available at the 6 mark.

Couldnt be more happy with Walsh though. Scarily he's still 5 kilos, 2 years and 50 games away from hitting his peak.

Specifically I wanted us to split 1 into (picks in the 3 and 6 range) for two bites at the cherry, knowing 1 of Rankine, Luko or Walsh would be available at 3, and 1 of the Kings, Smith or Rozee available at the 6 mark.

Couldnt be more happy with Walsh though. Scarily he's still 5 kilos, 2 years and 50 games away from hitting his peak.

I know hindsight discussions are kind of pointless a lot of the time but I reckon it would be fascinating to have the list managers at that time from the top 5-10 picks discuss how they rated the draft and what their strategy going into draft night was. Would be interesting to find out what could have happened if we'd split Pick 1

Think it’s well and truely time that some of us, that were in the “Walsh was to vanilla “ and lacked the match winning traits that Rankin and Smith had, to concede that Walsh was absolutely the right pick for us and the clear cut best player of that draft at this point.

May be he doesn’t have the jaw dropping flashy match winning highlights, although just quietly he’s even improving that aspect of he’s game too, but he has something that’s even better and that’s the blue heart he plays with, this is the type of kid you build a football club around, his leadership, football IQ, work ethic are all off the charts, he will captain our footballer club one day, he not only makes other players better with the style of player he is, constantly pushing himself from contest to contest to provide support, but when your clubs super star young player puts in like this, it also inspires the whole group, it pushes the team mates to push themselves and get the most out of themselves also.

For a 3rd year player to step up like that and lead our midfield in a do or die game for the club, it’s crazy good.
The pies are trash this year it’s true, but the midfield is one area they are still pretty stacked and Walsh put them to the sword, he was a clear level above any other player on the ground.

I’m ready to put my hand up and say I was wrong, I was all for us taking Rankin with pick one, even had Smith ahead as I thought he was more of a contested beast midfielder and showed an ability to be a very dangerous forward treat as well, I didn’t by any means not rate Walsh highly, just rated the other two prospects higher and viewed the hole in our forward line for a small or medium forward was just as big as the one in our midfield.

I didn’t hate the Walsh pick, but remember at the at the time,
I really wanted SOS to trade for GCS picks 3 and 6, on paper that may still even look better in theory, but when you’re young gun player, plays with such obvious heart and passion, you could just tell they love the footy club, these intangibles transcend natural talent and teams on paper.

Another knock on Walsh was a perceived lack of upside LOL, this kids getting better game by game and at 21yo far from the finished product,
Sam Walsh is going to be a massive problem for opposition teams.
hats off

this bloke will have his down days but he is such a professional he will only use that to drive himself even harder............fabulous that younger fans now have their own superstar to enjoy - "I get it dad, doormat could play a bit! ffs........"

Also needs some chocolate sauce to reach his peak...don't forget
Coconut-Vanilla-Ice-Cream-Paleo-Vegan.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back