Toast Sam Walsh Rnd 4 Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, i'm not surprised that there are several punters stupid enough to actually believe Walsh is not the best in the draft... There were at-least 12 professional head recruiters that didn't rate Cripps!

I will be very salty if Walsh gets shafted, like dead sea salty...

I wouldn't trade walsh for Rozee and Stack, it's hard to imagine a trade juicy enough to pry Walsh from Carlton?

The way I see -

Re. Cripps: The potential was there but few could have gauged the will of this individual.
I don't blame recruiters to have made that oversight based on exposed form and the potential for his body to change the way it did.

Walsh on the other hand was a standout, playing TAC as an under-ager in 2017. You could just see it then.
Others had more tricks and what some may perceive to have been more upside, but again - I don't think that was a holistic assessment of the individual, as this guy has many facets to him that will be more important than for on-field performance alone.

Most of last years draftees are tiring. Walsh? Coaches votes in 6 of the last 7 games.

That's not simply good luck. That makes for a lot of hard work. Phenomenal.
Try and imagine what he'll be like after his first real full-length preseason; last year he was only at the club from the end of November/start of December.

Kid could end up running Tom Scully circa 2016 numbers but while playing on-ball...

'On The Couch' last night ...

EArzJWpUwAY1Rmv

I've said it before, but I'll say it again......Walsh is playing more inside than Selwood did when he started.

I don't mean Walsh has more contested ball than Selwood, just because he has more disposals.... Walsh has a higher % of contested possessions

OK, so Selwood played around an established midfield when he debuted. But Selwood didn't best Walsh's contested split until his 5th season!!!!

People assume Walsh becomes the next Scully, Cotchin etc. Who is to say he isn't the next Selwood, Voss, Buckley?

'On The Couch' last night ...

How would Selwood have gone in our team for the 1st 11 rounds this year?

Interestingly Selwood had 3 times as many as Frees for as Sam..... in his first year guessing they don't want to mention umpire bias in the show?

Sam's running power in his first year is greater than Selwoods ever has been, 4th highest average in the AFL an absolute freak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering that Walshy has gained the most disposals in our team to date, has scored coaches votes in six of our last seven games, the conversation should move to maybe All Australian Squad nominee which I think would be a first. If you just look at his consistency over the current year, the fact he is in his first year should not matter. He is such an important player in our midfield already.

Considering that Walshy has gained the most disposals in our team to date, has scored coaches votes in six of our last seven games, the conversation should move to maybe All Australian Squad nominee which I think would be a first. If you just look at his consistency over the current year, the fact he is in his first year should not matter. He is such an important player in our midfield already.
There would probably only be 20 midfielders who can make the AA squad. I think there is comfortably 20 midfielders ahead of Walsh.

There would probably only be 20 midfielders who can make the AA squad. I think there is comfortably 20 midfielders ahead of Walsh.
It would be interesting to know how many of the comfortably 20 midfielders have had more disposals and have been more consistent. Yeah there are many midfielders who have had great games but we tend to hold Champion Data as the benchmark as who has had a good year or not. Not letting bias get in the way as I am but would be interesting to compare.

It would be interesting to know how many of the comfortably 20 midfielders have had more disposals and have been more consistent. Yeah there are many midfielders who have had great games but we tend to hold Champion Data as the benchmark as who has had a good year or not. Not letting bias get in the way as I am but would be interesting to compare.
There's more to a midfielders game than disposals. Treloar is leading the league in disposals quite comfortable and I wouldn't have him anywhere near the AA team.

There's more to a midfielders game than disposals. Treloar is leading the league in disposals quite comfortable and I wouldn't have him anywhere near the AA team.
Totally agree there is more but it sure helps if you have the ball and they dont. I would have Treloar in consideration for the AA squad nomination, maybe not the AA team. He has had a wonderful year but its really all about who you like as a player and who another doesn't. Crippa not getting RS in his year is testament.

Yes you are on the money. there are 27 midfielders in front of him. Many are pure outside mids but mids all the same. Not a bad effort for a first year player. PS beating Danger at the moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back