Toast Sam Walsh Rnd 4 Rising Star Nominee

Prior to draft, i believe the only concern about Walshy was his kicking disposal. Up until now I can't spot any problem in this area, in fact I reckon it has been excellent.

His kicking wasn't the issue some reported it to be. Not through the Champs at least.
His worst kicking came from his left leg and not his right. I made mention on plenty of occasions last year, that he seemed to be learning to kick on his left when at times he didn't have to and when his colleagues may not have done so.

Walsh was just a player that many wanted to see flaws in and then somehow exaggerated what they were and then on the other hand, heightened the traits of others beyond reasonable assessment. This is what I saw last year. It was interesting.

I knew we had someone special after the comment made by GC recruiters after their selections. Something along the lines off, ‘guys we should be very happy we just bought Rankin into our club’. The mood in the room was obvious disappointment.....i though it was interesting at the time.

It couldn't have been disappointment as they would have been well aware that Carlton were taking Walsh.
I think that many played things up just a little knowing that cameras were on them and maybe some played things down for the same reason.
Not all are comfortable being filmed, nor do they have to be.

Even if Rankine, Lukosius or Smith become to be seen to be the better players in time to come, Walsh is the type that adds more to the whole than just for on-field pursuits. Anyone coming to the club from here on in won't need coaches to address standards. All they have to say is, 'Just do what he does'

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Walsh seems to now have picked up the pace of the game. Early games his disposal was rushed as he didn't didn't use the ball well. Now being much more effective with the ball in hand and is not rushed when disposing of the ball. always looks composed with ball in hand.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
and walsh is doing it in a wooden spoon side.........
If he were at the Pies, Cats or Tigers, Sam's average possessions tally would be over 30 touches a game easily, so accomplished and well prepared for the big time, haven't seen a youngster like him in quite a while, reminds me of Selwood and Judd type of early impact.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally I couldn't care less what the Rozees, Rankines, Lukosiuses, Smiths, Joneses, etc do with their lives and careers. They could be guns, arguably better or worse than Sam in the final analysis, win more awards, provide more "x-factor" (such a ****ing cliche these days, OMG) - time will tell, but I don't give a toss.

The point is we got it right in drafting Sam. He was the right choice for us, the player we needed. Not just a talented junior whose talent has made him arrogant, no - he will continue to learn and develop because he wants to. Sam doesn't leave a stone unturned, not a conditional bone in his body. He's a machine, he trains and plays the house down, rain, hail or shine. He is not just a star in the making but has already set himself to be a loyal Blue for life. To quote the song: He will never let us down.

Last edited:

Stefchook

Team Captain
Dec 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately he won't win the Rising Star, unless there's some big form turn around of the rest of the team. It's just too hard to really shine, when the rest of the team is struggling.

Unfortunately he won't win the Rising Star, unless there's some big form turn around of the rest of the team. It's just too hard to really shine, when the rest of the team is struggling.
Would have thought it made his efforts more admirable.

Then again, we don’t have a happy history with this award ...

Back