Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I will give you 3 reasons why Sam Walsh might not win ;

Hogan d Cripps
Mills d Weitering
And McGrath d C.Curnow !!

The last one is just unbelievable!!

The main reason & only reason you forgot ....

The Carlton hating NRS selection panel!

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Hogan d Cripps (the year where the justification was that a Key Position was harder to play than Midfield)
Mills d Weitering
And McGrath d C.Curnow (the year where the justification was that Midfield was harder to play than Key Position)

See notes above, ;) - what we really know is the justification is don’t give anything to those Carlton bastards :rolleyes:

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins

Hogan d Cripps
Mills d Weitering
And McGrath d C.Curnow !!

Reckon anyone in the AFL is trading Curnow, Cripps and Weitering for Hogan, McGrath and Mills these days? Would get laughed away from trade table. Whatever occurred in their first year and the NRS, we’ve got some fantastic core players right now.

blueycarlton

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2008
carnegie
AFL Club
Carlton
teagueyyoubeauty
Cripps and Walsh will be long forgotton, just as the triple premiership team from 1906-08 and other early stars were when they get around to doing the next team of the century.

Blues90

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Interestingly Walsh's kicking has been talked down. He seems to have the time to steady and then weight his kicks, a bit like Pendles who doesn't kick the cover off the ball but hits targets time after time.
He kicks at over 70% fact

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Agree with you thy, Sam’s endurance is truly special, skilled footballer too, once physically mature and conditioned will be an elite midfielder top 3 in the game. Sam’s level of maturity and demeanor just a special individual, he'll be a our captain I'm certain.
Any wonder he was clear Ist pick in last year’s draft so laden with talent in the upper echelon.

Fun facts

Walsh leads rising stars in contested possessions; 25% more than anyone else. :thumbsu:

He also leads rising stars in uncontested possessions. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

If you wiped out all of his contested possessions and only looked at his uncontested, he'd still be in top 20 for overall possessions amongst rising stars.... :eek::eek::eek:

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
teagueyyoubeauty
Cripps and Walsh will be long forgotton, just as the triple premiership team from 1906-08 and other early stars were when they get around to doing the next team of the century.

Nah, by the time I’m Thy’s age I’ll be lauding how good these blokes are and will be to my grandchildren, and whomever else wants to listen. No one will forget

Only injury can stop them

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Fun facts

Walsh leads rising stars in contested possessions; 25% more than anyone else. :thumbsu:

He also leads rising stars in uncontested possessions. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

If you wiped out all of his contested possessions and only looked at his uncontested, he'd still be in top 20 for overall possessions amongst rising stars.... :eek::eek::eek:

Fun Facts. ferrisb is an absolute gun for pulling this stat. Well played

Beast__Mode

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
For me it’s his composure and consistency. It’s simply not natural for a first year player to have such a high floor, and to back up excellent games with (at worst) another good/above average game. And then he just stacks these games on each other.

There were a couple of passages last week where his composure in traffic to not only scan the available options but then select and execute perfectly the correct one is just ridiculous (and unteachable in my view) - one in particular where he was under heavy pressure, and passed up the first option that 80% of players would have taken and would have seen the option wrapped up immediately. Instead he held off for an additional half second, took the se one option and the balked was cleared.

Possibly the most natural thinker and processor of the flow of the game I’ve seen. Definitely so for a first year player. We’re lucky to have him.

I remember chatting about Robert Harvey with a friend like 15 years ago....

Me: I don't understand the hype. Yeah, he's won 2 brownlows and lots of B&Fs and AAs BUT he is nothing special. He doesn't get clearances like Ratten, doesn't mark like Loewe, can't jump like Kouta etc. He just runs all day, is fitter than anyone else, very professional, never flustered, never gives up, very consistent, rarely plays a bad game. Every time I see him he seems to be getting a handball receive, be distributing after the inside grunt was done. And even though he doesn't play inside, he still manages reasonable amount of clearances. It even looks like he benefits from lucky bounces or just happens to read the play better than others. It's like he's in the right place at the right time. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. But it can't be luck when you average 25+ touches for a decade.

*Silence*

*Wait 5 seconds*

*Sounds of gears working in my head*

*Wait 10 seconds*

*The look on my face like a light bulb switched on*

OOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!!! I GET IT NOW......

Now, I wonder which first-year player that reminds me of.........Don't tell me, I'll get there...

Back