Toast Sam Walsh Rnd 4 Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

So are they going to split the Rising Star vote count over 2 nights to allow time for the 13-hour Walsh Highlight Reel, or just marathon it with an interval or two for refreshments?

Might have to be 3 nights by the end of the season

Can he win the B&F?

Cripps has missed a couple of games, been tagged out of a few others. Murphy and Ed had slow starts to the year and Jones missed too many games. I think he'll be Cripps' main competition.

Sin - I know you're an avid junior footy watcher.

What do you make of Sam's year compared to what you expected pre-draft?

Sin - I know you're an avid junior footy watcher.

What do you make of Sam's year compared to what you expected pre-draft?
He's playing the way I thought he would as far as his work rate, knowing where to run to get the ball, great composure, high level endurance etc. I knew he'd be able to do that at any level. I had him ranked equal first in a very good draft. He's doing better around the stoppages than I thought he would this early, I thought he might have to bulk up a bit first. I think I had him pencilled in for 22 touches a game so he's exceeding my expectations there. Will be producing some amazing footy once he's done his apprenticeship hey.

He's playing the way I thought he would as far as his work rate, knowing where to run to get the ball, great composure, high level endurance etc. I knew he'd be able to do that at any level. I had him ranked equal first in a very good draft. He's doing better around the stoppages than I thought he would this early, I thought he might have to bulk up a bit first. I think I had him pencilled in for 22 touches a game so he's exceeding my expectations there. Will be producing some amazing footy once he's done his apprenticeship hey.

It may have been an easy decision for the club, but it had me flip-flopping for who we should take with the #1 and whether we should indeed trade it to GC should have they been especially keen for Walsh.

For me it was Walsh or Rankine at the end, as one could make a good claim for either.
As things have panned out and will play out, Walsh was the right decision.

Finished up ranking Blakey ahead of Lukosius, but given the way Lukosius was talked up, it was hard not to question oneself for making that assessment.

Anyway, couldn't be happier with Walsh for what he's doing on-field now and for what he'll be doing for the club in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HARKER, you were the one that first put Walsh firmly on my radar.

I'd read about his ball-winning and leadership........but I distinctly remember you describing his ability to 1) get from contest to contest 2) always scanning the field 3) knowing where the ball was going 4) somehow always being in frame. That yes his ball-winning was helped by endurance, but equally by footy IQ.

Bravo.

HARKER, you were the one that first put Walsh firmly on my radar.

I'd read about his ball-winning and leadership........but I distinctly remember you describing his ability to 1) get from contest to contest 2) always scanning the field 3) knowing where the ball was going 4) somehow always being in frame. That yes his ball-winning was helped by endurance, but equally by footy IQ.

Bravo.

It was evident in 2017 ferris.
I recall watching him then and thinking - I'd love for our club to have this 17 year old kid next year.

His 2018 blew me away and yet I was still ultimately a little conflicted as Walsh was the best player (bankable) and Rankine was probably more a needs and bums onto seats player.

Funny last year watching Walsh and thinking to myself - "How the * did he get there so quickly?"
Had to scan the field just in case there weren't two of him out there. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back