Draft Profile Sam Walsh - Selected by Carlton with pick 1!

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Disposal was fine, and running patterns excellent.

The running patterns thing surprises me for a draftee. Generally I'd expect that to take time with AFL a whole lot different to junior footy. It does seem he's likely to get early games and it'll be interesting to see how he does in this aspect if it happens.

It was very noticeable with us that Taranto in 2017 had little idea early on. He was tough enough and skilled enough to play AFL but Shiel mostly and the other mids were constantly directing him on where to position himself and where to run.

Maybe he has better instincts and possibly absorbs the coaching instructions better, but the the lack of an apprenticeship in the VFL could be a factor as well.

running patterns excellent

I didn't watch the game live but Carlton Tweeted a little passage of Walsh i thought was very good.

I sit next to a Carlton supporter at work and pretty much just praised how good his running patterns were for an 18 yr old all of 1 passage of play.

He had the composer to 1 touch, take body contact, change direction and run and draw 2 opponents. Before a very clean and fast 10m handball.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Has good dash and a nice sidestep, and definitely a smart mover. Disposal was fine but not particularly damaging, though that my have something to do with the dearth of options, and he's still quite slight for senior footy so struggled a bit in the contest, but did very well on a couple of loose balls where his speed and smarts were enough.

The crowd were giving ovations for regulation passages of play or pressure too, so I wouldn't go overboard on the hype. If we're talking BOG for Carlton Petrovski-Seton was clearly a class above, though obviously with the advantage of a few pre-seasons.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Think he’s more advanced at the same age than Cotchin tbh. Similar stylistically though.
Well not to bad a comparison if Walsh ends up becoming a Brownlow medal winning premiership captain ;)

Good luck to the kid, Clearly has a good work ethic and has the talent to go with that so should become a very very good 250+ game player for the Blues

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
What a great debut, albeit JLT.
Looks like he’s adapted to the pace of the game already. Knows where to position himself and his decision making by foot looks good. More outside than I thought but a good complement to Cripps style.

I can just say it's my opinion and that should suffice, but to help you out, it's because the times I have seen him he appears rushed with his disposal. Imagine when he steps into the big boys ring how rushed he will be.

Not rushed at all.

I think you read that one wrong, but you're not alone.
Many read him wrong for one reason or another.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes Carlton is shaping up to have a terrific young midfield. Cripps, Walsh, Dow, Fisher, SPS, Kennedy. When Carlton finally click they could be a serious threat. The danger of course like Brisbane and Melbourne before them is the lack of quality senior players around them. Once a club loses touch with success it is so very difficult to get it back. Becomes kind of generational.

Yes Carlton is shaping up to have a terrific young midfield. Cripps, Walsh, Dow, Fisher, SPS, Kennedy. When Carlton finally click they could be a serious threat. The danger of course like Brisbane and Melbourne before them is the lack of quality senior players around them. Once a club loses touch with success it is so very difficult to get it back. Becomes kind of generational.

Very true, but so far so good, at the club that finished last in '18.
Unusually buoyant down at the CFC for now, but another 20 losses this year could take the wind out of anyone.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Gotta say for an 18 year old with 0 games to his name, he didn't look out of place at all. Was in our bests, and would have gotten votes if it was the real thing.

He's quicker than I thought and runs lines better, and advances the ball. Doesnt go sideways. Disposal was good, maybe a little rushed at times, but good penetration.

Certainly racks it up for a player of his age. Runs all day (both ways) and is always looking for the 1-2 in support of a team mate.

Reminds me a lot of a young Nathan Buckley.

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
You can tell Cripps loves playing with another ball winning gun like Walsh, I think we will see Paddy elevate his game even higher, playing alongside Sammy (and Dow etc). I am bloody excited

It looks like some of the other kids from the draft are deadset guns too, like Rankine and Rozee.

1551398196361.png

Pump it straight into my veins

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Walsh, Dow, Weitering, Curnow have the potential to be in the top 10 players of the leauge. Add Cripps to that as well
If they fill their potential Carlton will win a flag in the next 5-7 years
They will slowly improve this year and next maybe even 2021 but will then be seriously contending IMO.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Walsh, Dow, Weitering, Curnow have the potential to be in the top 10 players of the leauge. Add Cripps to that as well
If they fill their potential Carlton will win a flag in the next 5-7 years
They will slowly improve this year and next maybe even 2021 but will then be seriously contending IMO.
Yeah after Doc went went down there was a lot of doom and gloom but the Blues should be excited watching the above players in 2019. They still may only win a handful of games but there is some serious talent on the list.

Last edited:
Back