Recommitted Sam Walsh [Signed until 2026]

Alright with the draft over time to turn attention to out of contract players

starting with probably the player who will be in for the biggest pay day Sam Walsh could easily get close to 1mil a year offers at his age

blues have spent big on recruits over the last few years so might not be able to match or get close to other offers

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alright with the draft over time to turn attention to out of contract players

starting with probably the player who will be in for the biggest pay day Sam Walsh could easily get close to 1mil a year offers at his age

blues have spent big on recruits over the last few years so might not be able to match or get close to other offers
I hope Walsh leaves.

Blues are a pretty corrupt club.

I will totally laugh if they couldn't match a bid for Walsh.

swuzzlebubble

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
I hope Walsh leaves.

Blues are a pretty corrupt club.

I will totally laugh if they couldn't match a bid for Walsh.
FFJzupqUYAImL4V.jpeg

Donnini

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Just get more players to take pay cuts

Already taken an additional 5% cut on top of whatever cuts there were. Cripps has taken a substantial pay cut as well. We really dont have many players in the 600-750k pay bracket and players coming off front ended contracts like Williams and Martin. For sure will need to hit the draft next year though - but salary cap isn't that tight if we hit the draft next year or two to pay our stars what they deserve.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Already taken an additional 5% cut on top of whatever cuts there were. Cripps has taken a substantial pay cut as well. We really dont have many players in the 600-750k pay bracket and players coming off front ended contracts like Williams and Martin. For sure will need to hit the draft next year though - but salary cap isn't that tight if we hit the draft next year or two to pay our stars what they deserve.

+Jones gone, which frees up an extra 500k.

Just need to work out which Fremantle young gun we bring in next.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
People can make jokes about the salary cap all they want. However to think that our list manager is anything less than 100% confident we have the cap space to re-sign Walsh, is absolutely ludicrous.

It's quite clear to see that most people salty of Carlton's signings and re-signings have never heard of the 95-105 rule. Not to mention they fail to take into account the retirement of Jones ($500k), as well as Marchbank, Cuningham, Fogarty, Setterfield, Carroll, Boyd, O'Brien, Dow, Parks, Cottrell, McDonald and Williamson who are all under the pump to save themselves from being traded/delisted.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Not to mention they fail to take into account the retirement of Jones ($500k), as well as Marchbank, Cuningham, Fogarty, Setterfield, Carroll, Boyd, O'Brien, Dow, Parks, Cottrell, McDonald and Williamson who are all under the pump to save themselves from being traded/delisted.
All of those guys should be on base salary or close to it anyway.

Delisting them shouldn’t save the Blues a lot of salary cap space as they just have to replace their list spots with comparably paid players anyway. I’d be preparing for at least 6 of those cleared off the Carlton list as part of natural attrition next year.

Clubs will come calling with monster offers but Carlton will do the right thing and make him easily the highest paid player at the club with a long term contract. It will affect their ability to attract more big names in the next 2-3 years, but the prioritisation is the right one.

swuzzlebubble

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2007
Royal Pde
AFL Club
Carlton
All of those guys should be on base salary or close to it anyway.

Delisting them shouldn’t save the Blues a lot of salary cap space as they just have to replace their list spots with comparably paid players anyway. I’d be preparing for at least 6 of those cleared off the Carlton list as part of natural attrition next year.

Clubs will come calling with monster offers but Carlton will do the right thing and make him easily the highest paid player at the club with a long term contract. It will affect their ability to attract more big names in the next 2-3 years, but the prioritisation is the right one.
We've stopped paying SOS and Bradley now too

Back