Recommitted Sam Walsh [Signed until 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

How is their salary cap looking
Yes, we've brought in Martin, McGovern, Williams, Saad, Cerra and Hewett over the last 3 years. But do you genuinely think our list manager would do that not having 100% confidence we have the cap space for Walsh? You're seriously kidding yourself mate.

Speculation is the standard player prefix for all threads that aren't free agents, and any player who is in the last two years of their contract, or who has mainstream media speculating about them, can have such a thread.

It might be speculation about how long or how much Carlton re-sign him for, or who might try and bid up the price, or it might be one of those situations where every man and his dog thinks the player will stay and then they don't.

Either way we can't not have a thread on the basis of someone's opinion that it won't happen, or there'd be people lining up to have that opinion about every player at every club just to try and shut down debate.

All valid points.

If I was a betting man I’d be putting my money on Carlton having him re-contracted by April.

How is their salary cap looking
Tight I imagine but as said up-thread, Sam Walsh being out of contract this year would have been a bigger priority than Cripps last year and probably McKay. There's no way it hasn't been planned for, if he leaves, unlikely as it is, it's because he wants to go, not because Carlton can't afford him

He loves the club so do his parents he is not going anywhere.

He will be suitably compensated that will make all sides happy just like we resigned Weitering, Harry, Crippa
Brisbane have a very nice offer in front of him right now that is very appealing. Not sure it will go anywhere but it makes things interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane have a very nice offer in front of him right now that is very appealing. Not sure it will go anywhere but it makes things interesting.
What was their pitch? Come and play at the club that your boyhood idol once played for...

There's no way that Carlton didn't factor in the possibility of having to pay him $1m a year when signing all the recent contracts, but I wouldn't be surprised if he signs on for around $800k. Playing under his football idol as coach and just being handed the VC role. The ONLY thing that could possibly make him think of leaving would be a horror season.

Walsh is worth every cent of $1m/year for 5 years. Given he's working under Voss and is VC (and will likely end up being captain) I think even offers of $1.2m/year for 5 years would be rebuffed at this point in favour of staying at Carlton.

Yeah can't see him leaving either but would be hilarious if he did. He's going to get a huge payday and be the next face of the Blues. Future captain. Will likely remain a Blue for life.

Why would it be BS? Every club would make an offer for him.

If Hawthorn wasnt at least asking the question I'd be pretty pissed off.
Of course every club will make him an offer. He's the best young player in the league. But saying there is already an offer on the table is BS.

What is the offer? We'll give you a stack of cash and work out the draft picks and players later?

Don't believe it for a minute.

Of course every club will make him an offer. He's the best young player in the league. But saying there is already an offer on the table is BS.

What is the offer? We'll give you a stack of cash and work out the draft picks and players later?

Don't believe it for a minute.

I doubt any club would offer less than $4m over 4 years - based on games played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back