Traded Sam Weideman [Traded with #54 and #72 to Essendon for #37]

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you ever given it any thought that he does not want to be a depth player and would like to play regular footy at another club?

Someone has to play that role, in every team.

Also there has been no evidence of him not wanting to play the role except people on Bigfooty suggesting it.

Which you could suggest the same for 22 players across all other 18 clubs

Also there has been no evidence of him not wanting to play the role except people on Bigfooty suggesting it.

Most. if not all players want to play 22 games a year.

If he's get a chance to play a bigger role in another club, you could hardly blame him.

Most. if not all players want to play 22 games a year.

If he's get a chance to play a bigger role in another club, you could hardly blame him.

Can’t blame any of the bottom 22 of any club, not sure the point here.

He hasn’t asked for a trade, nor are the dees pushing him out. He is under contract.

Can’t blame any of the bottom 22 of any club, not sure the point here.

He hasn’t asked for a trade, nor are the dees pushing him out. He is under contract.
The point is, it was suggested that as he isn't getting a regular game, would he be open to a move.

That's the point.

The point is, it was suggested that as he isn't getting a regular game, would he be open to a move.

That's the point.

I highly doubt anyone on bigfooty would know the inner thoughts of Sam to accurately answer that.

Do you think Bailey Williams or Mason Cox or Ratagalea or McLean is open for a move? Probably the same answer as that.

Toss a few million at any of them over 5 years I am sure they will all be open to move

For someone that told me there was nothing to say on page one of this thread you sure have had a lot to say about the topic...

Last edited:
Reminds me of Taberner.

Used to get Nick Riewoldt-type numbers in the WAFL for years, and then would turn to water every time he played at AFL level.

Was all mental pretty much.

This guy is from the same cloth.

No way you can do what he did in 2018 as a 21 year old key forward and not go onto be a B-grader at worst, unless there is a serious weakness mentally.

Should go to North where no one's watching; no one cares whether they lose or not, and where you don't have to worry about getting dropped if you play a bad game.

I still believe in this man/ boy.

Asked to be traded last year, no takers so he signed on for another couple. I think Melbourne would be happy to move him on if he wanted and there was another club interested but has anything changed in 12 months?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asked to be traded last year, no takers so he signed on for another couple. I think Melbourne would be happy to move him on if he wanted and there was another club interested but has anything changed in 12 months?

If anything, it has gone even worst. Melb had major forward woes this year and he still couldn't get a consistent game.

I imagine someone would pick him up if he were delisted, but to actually trade for him is a different story.

If anything, it has gone even worst. Melb had major forward woes this year and he still couldn't get a consistent game.

I imagine someone would pick him up if he were delisted, but to actually trade for him is a different story.

I agree

The thing about Sam is he's not a great athlete, not overly tall for an AFL forward and just doesn't quickly read the play. And he's bad defensively.

So in Melbourne's game style he's just about useless.

He can take a grab on the lead or floating in from the side. His goal kicking runs hot and cold but isn't awful. He has lovely clean hands from the deck. He can tackle when he can catch guys.

So when made a ruckman for the VFL finals he was great. Took the points against Sinclair/Ladhams, some Brisbane kid and Crossley.

Can he be a back up ruck for an AFL Side - as long as he doesn't play 2 good big rucks, then yes. Can he be an ok depth forward in a side that kicks to a lead or positions their tall forwards deep more often - yes. But it's unlikely he gets faster or taller or really starts picking up the drop of the ball when in a one on one contest, which are really the tools AFL key forwards use to find the ball.

I hope he can go to a team that can roll the dice for a year just for the sake of it.

The thing about Sam is he's not a great athlete, not overly tall for an AFL forward and just doesn't quickly read the play. And he's bad defensively.

He can take a grab on the lead or floating in from the side. His goal kicking runs hot and cold but isn't awful. He has lovely clean hands from the deck. He can tackle when he can catch guys.

So when made a ruckman for the VFL finals he was great. Took the points against Sinclair/Ladhams, some Brisbane kid and Crossley.

Can he be a back up ruck for an AFL Side - as long as he doesn't play 2 good big rucks, then yes. Can he be an ok depth forward in a side that kicks to a lead or positions their tall forwards deep more often - yes. But it's unlikely he gets faster or taller or really starts picking up the drop of the ball when in a one on one contest, which are really the tools AFL key forwards use to find the ball.

I hope he can go to a team that can roll the dice for a year just for the sake of it.
He is essentially a younger version of Peter Wright, and even more so Ben Brown.

He is essentially a younger version of Peter Wright, and even more so Ben Brown.
A little bit, in that he had similar deficiencies until Wright came good, but Wright's 203cm which means he can clunk marks without being in pole position, and he's an elite set shot.

Same thing for Ben Brown, he's 200cm with super long arms, he can mark, nullify or draw free kicks. And Brown just reads the play faster. A healthy Ben Brown covers the ground very well despite looking awkward.

Weid can be useful if he can back up ruck and then be allowed to take an early deep position and hit up at the ball. It's just hard to find a team that will allow a mediocre player to effectively hold down full forward for any part of a game.

No AFL quality depth ruckman in their right mind will join MFC behind Grundy and Gawn. I think we need to hang onto Weid as ruck depth with Grundy coming. We need to draft a ruckman this year or next, ready to start playing in 3 to 4 years.

I think Weid would be worth trying as a key back, plenty of failed KPFs have made good careers when moved back.

Defintely didn't beat Crossley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back