Traded Sam Weideman [Traded with #54 and #72 to Essendon for #37]

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
There isn’t really much to say about Weiderman other then his contracted depth.

Anything else would just be bigfooty rumour spinning, which feels like this thread was spun up to do as there’s been nothing in the media and he just won a premiership with his boys.
We now have multiple sources in the media suggesting he's looking to be traded out.

Do we have permission to continue this thread about the contracted depth player?

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Saints missing another one too.... Essendon this time..
They got a bloke that wants to play for North as well..

Absolute mess of a football club

That’s not a good decision…

I guess they want him as a fwd/ruck to support Draper and take the 3rd best defender, but I just can’t see him doing much

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
weid.jpg

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Most unsuccessful club in history.
I would honestly still take that rather than have to follow your rabble of a club for the last 20 years.

The only decent decision they have made in that time was to not bring back James Hird and even somehow that wasn't unaminous, despite us being told so.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I dont get the interest in him specifically as a player, personally.

But I suppose we looked best when we had 3 talls and when Stewart went down we had no depth, so there's that I suppose.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
inaccurate. that place was on fire before weideman crashed into it............

we lack a mature KPF. and tbh, im not sure we have one on the list.
Weideman will provide cover and get games. Joins the long line of failed attempts to replace Lucas
Brown, McKernan, Kepler, Stewart, Johns

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

I didn't even know we were chasing him?

Last I hear we weren't interested

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Wright and Jones are better than those two and he won't have to contend with the selfish types like Fritsch.
2MP is, Jones not yet. And dees are a s**t tonne better than the bombers, yet he still struggled. Don't think Fritsch had any negative impact on Sam Weideman. If anything he'd take a defender away from him.

Alot of Essendon people comparing him to Wright when he came across but I reckon Schache is a better comparison.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
2MP is, Jones not yet. And dees are a s**t tonne better than the bombers, yet he still struggled. Don't think Fritsch had any negative impact on Sam Weideman. If anything he'd take a defender away from him.

Alot of Essendon people comparing him to Wright when he came across but I reckon Schache is a better comparison.
Weideman reminds me more of Mitch Brown cross Shaun McKernan. Which is probably one reason why ops have been starved for him.

The body in the side will help as Jones is probably more earmarked for Stringer's spot as 3rd tall, and the rest of the talls are kids who need time to develop.
Stewart helped when was in, but he can't be relied upon with injury.

Interestingly, this is a poor "fix" for what didn't work in 2015
Francis was a good pick at the time. Hasn't come on. The miss on Curnow (A grade) is covered over by a cheap Weideman (C grade)

If we can get a Wright style renaissance, excellent.
Would love 2018 finals Weideman to be the norm :p

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Reckon he is a dud, don't understand the fascination at all.

However, if Dodo wants to keep picking up clubs offcuts/lemons (e.g. Setterfield, Weideman etc) to build a supposed premiership threat, then I am going to watch with some genuine glee at how it all goes pear-shaped.
Both will cost late picks worth a punt imo

Back