Recommitted Sam Weideman [re-signs until 2021]

Gypsy King

Team Captain
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Id pay the kid 400k a year. He doesnt exactly get the ball presented to him cleanly.

I wouldn't be surprised that a number of clubs have tabled $600k for Sam, well worth that amount for a 24 year old KPF.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep and he’s worth whatever someone’s willing to pay if that’s 650k and he gets lowballed then that is the exact scenario for a player to leave

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
$800k over 2 years.

That is probably overs based on output but a pretty fair deal for both parties imo.

He could get more on an open market imo.

We live in the age of greedy football player agents, who are a blight on the game.

Although I don't think any club would be stupid enough to offer him a 'Tom Boyd' deal, there are clubs willing to pay overs for a decent KPF prospect like Weideman.

I do believe he will stay a Dee, a compromise will be reached eventually where both sides are satisfied. Wouldn't worry about it too much, plenty of time left to thrash through a deal, and it seems like Weeds loves the club and his teammates.

He could get more on an open market imo.

We live in the age of greedy football player agents, who are a blight on the game.

Although I don't think any club would be stupid enough to offer him a 'Tom Boyd' deal, there are clubs willing to pay overs for a decent KPF prospect like Weideman.

I do believe he will stay a Dee, a compromise will be reached eventually where both sides are satisfied. Wouldn't worry about it too much, plenty of time left to thrash through a deal, and it seems like Weeds loves the club and his teammates.
I agree. But almost every player is worth more on the open market.

If someone wants to offer him ridiculous money and he wants to take it, then lets go to the trade table and work out a deal.

Imo we will probably end up paying $500k a year to stop that happening. Anything above that and we trade

You'd think they would have signed this guy up before trading Hogan. Got them over a barrel really.
Doubt we were the ones holding out. His value was low last year because of his lack of exposure, it’s his manager that would have been recommending that he wait until the end of 2019 to re-sign. No doubt we’d have been offering him contract extensions last year before Hogan decided to bail.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
He's holding off hoping that his form will improve enough to get a better contract, which is really the right thing for him to do

He's unfortunately put his cards on the table already by asking what the form he wants to show is worth.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Unless someone like Gold Coast, Carlton or Saints (unless they improve) come after him, he's likely to not receive any huge offers. Roughly 500k-550k is surely his range

Cant see us throwing our hat into the ring given we are pretty well stocked for young KPFs. McKay and Curnow were taken in the same draft and have been developing well. No reason to give up on them.

What would his current market value be? Given the Hawks lack of quality young key position players Weideman would be perfect.

Hypothetically speaking if the Hawks offered their first round pick in this years draft would that be enough for Melbourne to consider trading him?

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surely this guys worth more than 5-600000?
Dees fans spent an entire summer telling anyone and everyone that they didn’t need hogan cause this guy was so good.
In fact with hogan no longer around to get in Sammy’s way this kid was ready to explode!!!

Best bit tho now?... due to pushing hogan out the door and their shambolic fwd line (well every line to be exact) this guys got melb by the balls..... can stilll ask for good coin despite playing like a pleb otherwise he tells dees he’s walking!!!.... And after all the hype the club has boasted about being premiership ready they ll just have to pay!!...talk about snookering yourself ...lololol

Senior List
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
What would his current market value be? Given the Hawks lack of quality young key position players Weideman would be perfect.

Hypothetically speaking if the Hawks offered their first round pick in this years draft would that be enough for Melbourne to consider trading him?

I'd definitely say that both Hawks and Saints should be sniffing around if Dees dont want to pay his asking price. Obviously to get a player to jump ship you have to pay over the odds on what they are worth, so I think it could be a good idea to pay around 600k to get him on board.

As for trade value, with both Hawks and Saints looking at a pick around 8-12, youd think that would be more then enough to get it over the line, possibly with some later picks each way

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
I'd definitely say that both Hawks and Saints should be sniffing around if Dees dont want to pay his asking price. Obviously to get a player to jump ship you have to pay over the odds on what they are worth, so I think it could be a good idea to pay around 600k to get him on board.

As for trade value, with both Hawks and Saints looking at a pick around 8-12, youd think that would be more then enough to get it over the line, possibly with some later picks each way

No way saints would go anywhere near him : Mccartin, King, Bruce, Membrey... the last thing they need

Back