Recommitted Sam Weideman [re-signed for 2 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Worth a go in defence?
Suns need key position forwards and defenders.
Would be ok with giving him go to try him down back.
I reckon this is not a bad idea

Kills it at VFL level and is a nearly player at AFL level, gets his hands on a lot of ball but can't quite cluck them

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Weid has good closing speed and would be a spoiling machine. Definitely worth a go in defence. Its revitalised Schache who doesn't go anywhere near as hard as Weid.

Weid has good closing speed and would be a spoiling machine. Definitely worth a go in defence. Its revitalised Schache who doesn't go anywhere near as hard as Weid.
Don't think I've ever seen thi so called closing speed?

In fact I would even say it's a weakness of his.

Actually think moving interstate away from the media pressure cooker in Melbourne could help him too..

If hypothetically speaking he joins Collingwood, I am not sure if he has the stones to cope with the media and suppoeter expectations of being a Magpie.

Think Freo or even GWS could be a great club/environment for him tbh.

exactly what we don’t need

Peter Wright kicked 7 on Schache - he hasn't been revitalised as a defender - he had to play back with Keith out and it failed - badly.

Last edited:
Weideman is classic prototype of a player who dominates VFL level, looks great in person (196cm & 100kg) but cn't perform at AFL level.

Has had 6 seasons to get himself right but it hasn't happened

I was excited to see him play this season but he just looks out of place

Classic example was against Brisbane when he was matched up with Harris Andrews. Andrews basically played off him and controlled the defensive 50. Weideman couldn't make an impact.

He would be silly to want to stay at the FC

He had a decent 2020 season. Averaged 2 goals a game between rounds 6-14 which I reckon would have been more than most other players in the competition during that period, and then it all went wrong again. All between the ears with him.

Has no trade value but he’s definitely worth having on the list. Don’t understand the weirdly ruthless approach fans have where they think it’s better to replace underperforming players with fourth round draft picks.

Don’t understand the weirdly ruthless approach fans have where they think it’s better to replace underperforming players with fourth round draft picks.
It would depend what it costs to retain the player. If they are 2 to 3x the cost than an $80,000 4th round pick and you know what you're getting out of them compared to the potential of the new.

Is Melbourne offering Sam a contract? If he signed for two he might be one of the more unremarkable unrestricted free agents in two years time having played 60 games.

If he wasn't a first round pick, would he still be on a list?

It would depend what it costs to retain the player. If they are 2 to 3x the cost than an $80,000 4th round pick and you know what you're getting out of them compared to the potential of the new.

Is Melbourne offering Sam a contract? If he signed for two he might be one of the more unremarkable unrestricted free agents in two years time having played 60 games.

If he wasn't a first round pick, would he still be on a list?
If he wasn’t a first round pick maybe he would have less mental pressure to deal with. Based on the strength of his best form in 2020 I’d definitely keep him on the list for $160-240k over a fourth rounder. Not to mention that he’s a well-liked and prominent member of the playing group, and those cultural strengths are a huge part of where we are at the moment. Was best on ground in our first finals win in 12 years just three years ago. Those are all building blocks to making a GF. Again I don’t expect anyone to offer us anything for him, and if he wants to leave I’d be happy for us to delist him and let him go to where he wants as easily as possible, but there’s not a lot of incentive for us to chuck him.

And yes we’ve already offered him a contract. The club has said all year that they intend to keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a decent 2020 season. Averaged 2 goals a game between rounds 6-14 which I reckon would have been more than most other players in the competition during that period, and then it all went wrong again. All between the ears with him.

Has no trade value but he’s definitely worth having on the list. Don’t understand the weirdly ruthless approach fans have where they think it’s better to replace underperforming players with fourth round draft picks.

He’s not “underperforming”. He’s not performing at all. His body of work over the past three seasons has been terrible.

You take a third or fourth round pick for him and back your recruiting manager to have another throw at the stumps.

If he wasn’t a first round pick maybe he would have less mental pressure to deal with. Based on the strength of his best form in 2020 I’d definitely keep him on the list for $160-240k over a fourth rounder. Not to mention that he’s a well-liked and prominent member of the playing group, and those cultural strengths are a huge part of where we are at the moment. Was best on ground in our first finals win in 12 years just three years ago. Those are all building blocks to making a GF. Again I don’t expect anyone to offer us anything for him, and if he wants to leave I’d be happy for us to delist him and let him go to where he wants as easily as possible, but there’s not a lot of incentive for us to chuck him.

And yes we’ve already offered him a contract. The club has said all year that they intend to keep him.
Are you taking the p555? It's the one game the every Weid apologist refers back to, but he wasn't close to BOG. And of course the club is going to say that we intend to keep him. What else can they say?

Jack Watts was well liked also, but was given the a#se. Weid is not a prominent member of the playing group. T Mac missed games late in the year, and Melksham was his replacement. He's not in the top 30 players at the club. If we keep him, he'll be a list clogger. I'd rather keep Mitch Brown on the rookie list than re-signing Weid.

Are you taking the p555? It's the one game the every Weid apologist refers back to, but he wasn't close to BOG. And of course the club is going to say that we intend to keep him. What else can they say?

Jack Watts was well liked also, but was given the a#se. Weid is not a prominent member of the playing group. T Mac missed games late in the year, and Melksham was his replacement. He's not in the top 30 players at the club. If we keep him, he'll be a list clogger. I'd rather keep Mitch Brown on the rookie list than re-signing Weid.
The coaches that night had him as first and second BOG (with one of them saying Harmes was better) but if you of all people think I’m taking the piss then clearly it means he wasn’t even close, I’m not sure what the coaches of two of the last four grand finalists could know compared to a random BigFooty poster.

Watts was known to be on the gear and also helping younger players to get it, and he also actually had trade value at the end of 2017. Weideman has none atm.

I wouldn't trade him but I still don't rate him. Pointless to trade him out for peanuts then lose out on KPF depth.

I wouldn't trade him but I still don't rate him. Pointless to trade him out for peanuts then lose out on KPF depth.
Yeah it’s the kind of hyper-irrational proposal you see a lot on BigFooty re: list cloggers, more based in perceptions of how clubs should go about treating underperforming players rather than any realistic approach to list management. He’s going to stay unless he actively wants out, in which case we will let him go for nothing.

Peter Wright kicked 7 on Schache - he hasn't been revitalised as a defender - he had to play back with Keith out and it failed - badly.
Since then he's come back as a defensive key forward and done well. The stint in defense has made a more completive player and improved him.

Yeah it’s the kind of hyper-irrational proposal you see a lot on BigFooty re: list cloggers, more based in perceptions of how clubs should go about treating underperforming players rather than any realistic approach to list management. He’s going to stay unless he actively wants out, in which case we will let him go for nothing.
You said that Melbourne had offered him a contract. What proof do you have? Every required player has been re-signed. Weideman is not one of them. He'll be politely told to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back